ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-08, 08:49 AM
Jr Member

gillenium is on a distinguished road
What type of doctor to see for diagnosis?

It appears that there are many types of doctors that can diagnose adult ADD. However, is there one type of doctor in particular that would be better than the others. Once diagnosed, what type of follow-up treatment is required/recommended?

If additional one-on-one treatment is required/recommended, I guess I'd rather get it from the doctor that would be most qualified to give that added help and also be the one that gives the initial diagnosis.
Old 01-21-08, 09:17 AM
Contributor

edge of reason has a spectacular aura aboutedge of reason has a spectacular aura about
Re: What type of doctor to see for diagnosis?

In the state i live in, ADHD meds can only be prescribed by a psychiatrist, and you have to get an MD to refer you to one. i guess they want to make sure people aren't faking it or something.

An MD can help cure the body, but a psychiatrist is an MD that specializes in fixing the mind. It's two degrees in one, and therefore more knowledge.
Old 01-21-08, 09:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Psychiatrists miss ADD all the time. (My SO is one.)

I'd go for the Neuropsychological testing done by a Testing Psychologist.

They will test you for Working Memory, Auditory Memory, Executive Function, and all the areas that ADDers are typically POOR in...

I spent decades with undiagnosed and untreated ADD. I was even refused testing at my college disability office for years.

Finally I self referred, got the testing report ($1000) and got meds.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-08, 09:52 AM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light

I had the same problem QueensU girl had. I finally did recearch and found a Psychologist who specialized in ADD and refered myself and had to fork out the money myself. Best investment I ever paid for!
Old 01-21-08, 10:20 AM
Contributor

edge of reason has a spectacular aura aboutedge of reason has a spectacular aura about

i was diagnosed and on meds at 5 years old, so i didn't have to go through this as an adult...trying to get doctors to believe this is what i had.
Old 01-21-08, 12:13 PM
Jr Member

Thanks for your input! So far it sounds like a Psychologist is the route to go, with a Psychiatrist an acceptable alternate. Any other advise before heading out to be checked out?
Old 01-21-08, 01:10 PM

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

re: 5

I take it you were a Hyperactive child? They are diagnosed in a heartbeat, it seems. Esp. if caregivers or teacher's are complaining, etc.

--

I'd still recommend Testing. Good to know if you have any LDs, Memory issues, Auditory processing issues, EF deficits, etc.
Old 01-21-08, 02:34 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all

The most important thing is that the diagnostician has a very good understanding of ADHD. Even if the diagnostician can't prescribe meds if he or she really understands ADHD he/she will be able to refer you to somebody who can. I'm not sure where you are in MI but there are some really great ADHD professionals in your state.
Old 01-21-08, 03:15 PM
Jr Member

Yeah, I was a pretty active child (37 now) and received many "restless rester" comments on early report cards. I never really got into trouble for causing trouble or being uncontrollable in school. But even now, I can't sit still for any length of time without losing focus or getting up and walking around.

Not sure what LD's and EF deficits are, but the memory issues are definitely there! Auditory processing issues is something I haven't heard of yet, but based on what it sounds like, kind of makes sense and could be a possibility.
Old 01-21-08, 03:20 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
The most important thing is that the diagnostician has a very good understanding of ADHD. Even if the diagnostician can't prescribe meds if he or she really understands ADHD he/she will be able to refer you to somebody who can. I'm not sure where you are in MI but there are some really great ADHD professionals in your state.

Hi Tara,

I live pretty much in the middle of the lower peninsula (Mt. Pleasant) and would be willing to drive pretty much anywhere in the state to see a reputable physician that you know and could recommend.
Old 01-21-08, 06:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

Scattershot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
The most important thing is that the diagnostician has a very good understanding of ADHD. Even if the diagnostician can't prescribe meds if he or she really understands ADHD he/she will be able to refer you to somebody who can.
Yes, this can't be stressed enough! Always go to someone with ADHD experience if you have the option.

I keep reading all these horror stories of people being misdiagnosed with depression/anxiety or denied stimulant meds just because their docs don't "believe" in ADHD. I was able to find a great doc in 2 different cities just because I called around and asked if they had experience with ADD in adults.
Old 01-21-08, 07:26 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all

http://www.chaddmi.com/ is probably one of the best places to start.