ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-26-08, 09:59 AM
Contributor

edge of reason has a spectacular aura aboutedge of reason has a spectacular aura about
Adderall and headache

Just started on Adderall yesterday and got a headache that lasted all day long. Even the tylenol didn't take it away. This am, woke up ok, took the meds, and am getting another headache. Is this common? Does it go away?
Old 01-26-08, 10:23 AM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of
Re: Adderall and headache

I think I have read where some do experience headaches. If you can tolerate it, it should subside in a few weeks, as most side effects seem to taper off about then.

I personally suffer migraines anyway and take a prescription med for that, and this time of year I get them more frequently anyway, so I can't really give a better answer.

Drink plenty of water, and watch your caffeine. Also, when taking pain meds, be wary of rebound headaches.

Nothing like a lose/lose situation.

Old 01-26-08, 05:03 PM

onetrackmind is on a distinguished road

edge of reason,

My whole family has been on Adderall for over two years, and for the most part, med related headaches seem to occur due to dehydration.

It's not just about drinking eight glasses of water everyday. Adderall seems to interfere with the body's ability to absorb electrolytes. For me, in addition to three to four liters of water every day, non-caffeinated sport drink mixes help to clear my head.

Also, give new dosages at least a week to determine how they are working. It will probably take months to get the proper dosage, just work with you doctor and let him or her know what is going on.

Best of luck,
James
The Following User Says Thank You to onetrackmind For This Useful Post:
MCate (01-07-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-08, 10:43 PM

RunninL8 will become famous soon enough

I experienced headaches for the first few days after starting adderall as well. After those initial days I was fine. Interesting info about water intake-I had no idea it affected the body's absorbtion. Dehydration-whether ones on meds or not-will usually cause headaches.
The Following User Says Thank You to RunninL8 For This Useful Post:
mentalfloss (11-08-11)
Old 02-01-08, 11:45 PM

WickedGirl is on a distinguished road

Here is a weird response for you....for about ten years, I have suffered from severe migraines. When I started taking Adderall, I was migraine-free for a year and a half. They just disappeared! Unfortunately, I cannot take Adderall anymore, because it seemed to mess with my immune system or cortisol system.
Old 02-02-08, 06:56 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,792 Times in 5,857 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I did not do this with the Adderall but it is why I quit taking Ritalin -

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 02-02-08, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Users seem to report headaches on stimulants. I've never heard the dehydration idea, but it makes sense.

I've also read that there is vasoconstriction (think migraines and vascular headaches; they start with an episode of vascular constriction/narrowing) and muscle tightening (think of the temporalis or jaw muscle's locations and their relation to headaches) that also happen on stimulants. Both would potentially be valid second and third explanations for headaches.

Dehydration causing headaches (and possible confusion, etc) makes sense too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueensU_girl For This Useful Post:
mentalfloss (11-08-11), Scattered (02-27-08)
Old 02-02-08, 11:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

butterfly67 is on a distinguished road

I,too experienced headaches after starting Adderall IR. I now don't get them on Adderall 5mg XR. Thye should go away in time, but as said,drinking enough water is very important, as you rehydrate every cell in your body. A good Calcuim and Magnesuim tablet helped me also,and B-vitamin's.
Old 02-03-08, 12:37 AM
Contributor

adhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really nice

I have a tendency towards headaches and migraines and I did notice that I had a lot more of both once I started taking adderall. I drink lots of water, so I do not believe they were due to dehydration. I was thinking of giving up on taking adderall because of it this summer; however, I was prescribed Seroquel for my bipolar and it has the odd side effect of getting rid of my headaches. If I skip the Seroquel or decrease the dose too dramatically, the crashing headaches come back. As long as I keep taking it, I'm headache free. I never realized that I had a 24 hr. a day headache of one degree or another for most of my life until it suddenly vanished.
Old 02-03-08, 11:46 PM

gwerks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedGirl View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot take Adderall anymore, because it seemed to mess with my immune system or cortisol system.
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly happened to you? Cortisol is what is released when we're stressed out, right? If I remember correctly, I believe it's the hormone that causes weight gain in people who are stressed out.
Old 02-04-08, 06:48 AM

WickedGirl is on a distinguished road

Hi gwerks! No, I don't mind you asking at all. Yes, cortisol is the hormone that causes abdominal weight gain (very bad for health) and is increased via stress. Of course, I lost 40 lbs on Adderall, but I have still kept an unhealthy, fatty lower belly, even though I am now in a size ten jeans.

Anyway, one problem that I had was a gradual need to withdraw from society more and more the longer I took the Adderall (and the desire to choke the living crap out of most people). But, the biggest problem was that I actually immediately stopped healing after taking Adderall for even one day. This is not something that is easily explained, but I have always healed from injuries very quickly. When I take the Adderall, my gums recede and become painful, my skin ceases in any sort of cell turnover (ie: my facial skin turns dull, thin and wrinkled), and if I get a paper cut, for example, it just does not heal until I stop the Adderall for a day or two. Now, this may sound really weird to a lot of people, but you should honestly see the difference in me. It is bizarre. And again, it is a real bummer, because the Adderall does chase away my migraines, which I LOVE!
Old 02-04-08, 03:47 PM
Contributor

ben72227 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge of reason View Post
Just started on Adderall yesterday and got a headache that lasted all day long. Even the tylenol didn't take it away. This am, woke up ok, took the meds, and am getting another headache. Is this common? Does it go away?
It's common for some...but Adderall is a vasoconstrictor, which (in theory) will cure vascular headaches (i.e. migraines) and cause erectile dysfunction.

My guess is that you probably didn't eat or drink much (common with first time amphetamine users) and that you're dehydrated.

Drink some gatorade and water today - avoid caffeine (coffee, soda, energy drinks).
Old 02-14-08, 08:30 PM

dlmay277 is on a distinguished road

Do any of you get headaches from too high of a dose? I normally take 5mg IR around 8am and then a 20mg XR around 1pm. Today, I had an early staff meeting, had a ton of things to do, and took a 10mg XR that I had left from when he first prescribed it before I increased. I took that at 8am and then my 20mg XR at around 1:30. I had a lot of things going on, and my mind was a little overloaded, but I have a history of migranes and have had zero since taking adderall (almost 3 weeks)

I am just wondering if my dose was too high? What side effects might happen if you take more than you should? I dont have any high heart beat, or "speedy" feeling. I almost feel tired, with a BAD headache... any thoughts?
Old 02-14-08, 10:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

cloud1 will become famous soon enough

My first day I got a headache too. I get migraines and smaller headaches alot. This was a different kind. Sometimes when the last dose is wearing off in the evening I get one. It kinda feels like your body is just wearing down from being on the go and getting stuff done. Like a tired headache.

Another thing its is good to cut the caffiene but do it gradually if you drink it everyday. I know I am in for a huge headache if I don't get my am coffee. One cup in the morning and the rest of the day I'm downing water.

Yeah you got to pay attention to your intake. I went all day without eating or dinking much and I felt so weird and shakey.....oh yeah I didn't eat !

Adderall actually helps me not get so many migraines now too.....weird how that works. Way better than Topamax(another can of worms)

Old 02-14-08, 11:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all

Adderall gave me headaches when the dose was too high. I lowered it and I'm doing fine.

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend