ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Clonidine
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Clonidine (catapres)

Old 01-28-08, 02:00 PM
Jr Member

dawnburke@cinci is on a distinguished road
best way to use clonidine for sleep

I have a 7 year old with ADHD, and sleep has always been a challenge. On a normal night (with no sleep meds) he lays down around 9p and doesn't fall asleep until 10 or even 10:30p. I always have to wake him up for school, etc.

Anyway, we are trying a very small amount of Clonidine to start (1/2 of .1mg). The doctor said to give it to him around 7:30p and then institute a strict bedtime of 8p. He thinks that this will help my son fall asleep around 8:30, and get the 11 hours that it really seems that he needs.

My question is to people that have used it... did you take it only 1/2 hour before bedtime? Or, did some people need to take it right when they laid down because it worked that quickly. And, he seems so groggy in the morning now... does that get better with time?

Last question, it looks like some people took this type of medicine in place of a stimulant during the day. Didn't it make you really sleepy in the day? I ask because Concerta seems to be really changing his personality while on it (very serious, anxious, not his happy self) and it causes eye blinking (which he doesn't have off medicine). He has mostly hyperactivity type ADD, so maybe this would be something we should try in lieu of stimulants? Any ideas would be so appreciated!
Old 01-28-08, 11:41 PM

trinity10120 is on a distinguished road
Re: best way to use clonidine for sleep

If a medication is altering his personality than he may need to try something else or a lower dose. Medication should not alter one's personality that much. If I am correct, Clonidine is supposed to help with the eye blinking (also referred to as ticks.) Clonidine is used for several reasons other then tics.

Currently I am taking Tenex at night. I am taking 1 mg. It does make me tired and I am 22 years old.

Of course I am not a doctor, I am only making a suggestion.

Last edited by trinity10120; 01-28-08 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: ADHD LOL.
Old 01-29-08, 10:21 AM

donnasue is on a distinguished road

My daughter has ADHD and takes Adderall during the day and has trouble sleeping at night. Bedtime is 9:30 but she's never asleep until 11 at the earliest.

The Dr. had prescribed clonidine for sleep and it was giving her really bad nightmares. She would wake up in the morning and be very upset and not want to take the meds at night. It did work, as far as getting her to sleep, but not worth the upset it was causing her dream wise. We homeschool now so it's not a huge issue that she stays up later because we don't have to get up early.

I did try the melatonin and that seems work well and she even likes it. She will sometimes ask for it if she's having hard time going to sleep. I asked the Dr. about melatonin and she said no as it's not regulated by the FDA, but you know how that goes. She recommended Benadryl if we didn't want to do the clonidine.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-08, 03:53 PM

oomis will become famous soon enough

My 6 year old uses Clonadine. I give it to her an hour before bedtime. Also it works quicker if we had an earlier dinner. It works allot quicker on an emptier stomach. We usually eat around 6:30. I give it to her around 7:00 then she has bath time. By the time she is done with all of that and a story she is sleepy and ready for bed. This works wonders on her sleeping. Good luck! I would definately give it an hour before bedtime and not 30 minutes before.
Old 09-17-08, 12:11 PM

KellyD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnasue View Post
My daughter has ADHD and takes Adderall during the day and has trouble sleeping at night. Bedtime is 9:30 but she's never asleep until 11 at the earliest.

The Dr. had prescribed clonidine for sleep and it was giving her really bad nightmares. She would wake up in the morning and be very upset and not want to take the meds at night. It did work, as far as getting her to sleep, but not worth the upset it was causing her dream wise. We homeschool now so it's not a huge issue that she stays up later because we don't have to get up early.

I did try the melatonin and that seems work well and she even likes it. She will sometimes ask for it if she's having hard time going to sleep. I asked the Dr. about melatonin and she said no as it's not regulated by the FDA, but you know how that goes. She recommended Benadryl if we didn't want to do the clonidine.
Clonidine will be my last resort. But melatonin worked for my son. It's my daughter that we are trying to sort out.
Old 01-30-13, 09:23 PM

mdhettel is on a distinguished road

my 10 year old son has the worsts trouble sleeping. We would put him to bed at 8:30 and he would lay there and stare at the ceiling until 2 or 3 in the morning. his doc put him on clonidine and now i am finding out that it is used to treat high blood pressure and adhd. so if your child is already on ADHD meds this may be over medicating. i am taking him off this medicine because it is not to treat sleeplessness. the reason it does help is because groggyness is a side effect. This is crap. Our doctors would rather chemically medicate with the side effects, than you put them on natural melatonin. i guess it's so they can treat the long term use symptoms for more money.
Old 02-04-13, 02:18 PM

robbs is on a distinguished road

Old thread but I can't let this one slip...

Some studies have shown that melatonin can inhibit the release of growth hormone. Growth hormone is what is responsible for growth of the large bones in the body of a growing child. Altough thera are no clear studies on actual effect of melatonin on growth hormone in children, some doctors prefer to be on the safe side to avoid stunted growth.

Clonidine is an antihypertensive that works by supressing the adrenergic system, that is the sympatic "fight or flight" system.

Sometimes drugs have multiple uses that seems unintuitive, but that is because the mechanism that they work trough has impacts on several systems.
Old 03-08-13, 11:46 PM

nooley is on a distinguished road

I couldnt let this slip either because as a group of people such as ourselves who are constantly under the stress and scrutiny of medicine use, its important to point out that "Natural" alternatives are many times not what they seem. As the above stated, Melatonin is a hormone, and the reason its not deemed safe by the FDA to use is because of this. You cant give hormones to children and assume it will have no side effects. I do understand the conflict though, that parents go through in giving medications for their child to sleep. I struggle with it too. I also have struggled with a lifetime of not being able to sleep. I very recently started using the Clonidine myself when I get to that point of desperation for sleep. I allow myself a few nights of sound sleep and thats about it because I hate taking something that makes me sleepy because I worry just as anyone else does that Ill stop breathing in my sleep

I have a ten year old son with ADHD and he too will lie awake for hours on end and when he does fall asleep its fitful and doesn't replenish him. I have him half dose of this RX as it was prescribed to him by his doctor for two nights in a row and has raved for the past two days about how GREAT he feels in the morning because he slept so well. Its true that this medication is for lowering blood pressure but you should have known that before giving it to your own child. When a doctor prescribes you something for your child, you need to check into it yourself, do the research and ask the questions. Nobody cares about your childs health and well being more than you do, so do all the homework on whatever meds you try first, before ever giving it to them. What I have found is that there are just NO good and easy answers to the sleep deprivation ADHD can cause. I also am very aware the health issues not have restorative sleep will cause over time. Theres no easy decisions here but if we keep each other informed of our own experiences with the meds we are taking, its the best we can do for now.

Last edited by APSJ; 03-09-13 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: paragraph break
Old 09-27-13, 04:58 PM

Checkeye is on a distinguished road

After nearly 50-years, I've had difficulty falling to sleep as long as I can remember. I was not diagnosed as ADHD until my late 30's and was amazed at how Ritalin made things so quiet. I still have difficulty going to sleep and my wife avoids being near me because of kicking, and the physical irritants that cause sleep difficult. I am intrigued at the discussion of Clonidine and remember at one time was given klonopin for ADHD and sleep. Found a discussion at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8935206 and looks like all this is good for Clonidine.

For the parents who's kids can't sleep, I at least figured out who Santa was because of it. Clonidine appears to help the physical aspect of the problem but in some it's the random thoughts that keep us awake.

I'm curious how you present and discuss all this with your doctor. For me, it's been ambien that helps and requip for the restless part. Not sure this is the best solution but it's worked the past several years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Checkeye For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-27-13)