ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-04, 01:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Talking Kiddie Corner

I asked for space for craft's and organization ideas for kids and Big granted (you gotta love that guy).

I don't know about you folks; but, personally I am tired of "Momma I'm bored" So, due to the wonder's of modern technology I have found many inexpensive and easy to do craft's to keep the kid's busy for hour's and also help motivate them to complete task's anywere from homework to chores at home.

I think it would be great fun to share craft and organization idea's with each other. Were better to get an endless source of activities to keep an ADD child happy then by an ADD forum?

Crafts:

Cracker Castles

What you need:
Cookie sheet
Assorted crackers
Mortor (peanut butter, spreadable cheese, marshmellow spread)
Plastic knife
Edible decorations (raisins, chocolate chips, cereal, etc.)

What you do:
1.Spread a foundation of "mortor" and set the crackers into it.
2.To make walls, set crackers vertically, gluing them to each other with the "mortor"
3.Glue small crackers onto the larger ones to make doors, windows and shutters then cement graham crackers in place as a sloped roof.
4.Decorate
5. Take a picture of your artist with their craft.

A fun craft for the whole family, very cheap and edible you can't beat that.

Book Worm

This craft is a good way to encourage and reinforce beginning readers (it also works for my older children ). You can make it competitive by giving each child their own worm and seeing whose will get the longest. The children add their circles to the worm (it's great fun to see if you can wrap it all the way around the room so that it "eats" its tail!)

Materials you will need are a printer, paper (I prefer white construction paper or another heavier paper), scissors, glue, something to colour with and a pen or marker.
Print out the template of choice.

Colour pieces, as necessary.

Cut out the pieces.

Hang the worm's head on the wall somewhere the child(ren) will see it fairly often.

Each time a child reads a new book (either on their own or with adult assistance, depending on the age of the child), fill out the name of the book on one of the circles and attach it to the worm.

You can also add the date and name of the child to the circle, if desired.

These are just a few I will try and keep them coming...

And as an organization idea we bought an old card table for $1 at a garage sale and use plastic table clothes that you get at the dollar store for under the table to help protect from spills. All craft items are kept in the same place and are given as gift's to the ENTIRE family therefore there is less fighting over whose is whose and are stored in plastic totes on wheels so they are easily shoved into a closet when company arrives.

Happy crafting and any craft's or hint's are greatly appreciated.

Cherity(the template for the bookworm is included in this post)
Attached Images
File Type: gif bbookworm.gif (10.1 KB, 45 views)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 02-24-04, 02:11 AM

Draga has disabled reputation
OMG futs that is soo awesome...I am proud of you!!!!!!! Congrats..I told BIG would like the idea, and the drawing looks very cool...you have a great idea hun. YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

Love ya lots

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 02-24-04, 07:55 AM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
lol TY Mel but crafts really is my only deffense against boredom for the kid's. Or I'm driven nuts
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 08:47 AM

E-boy will become famous soon enough
I do all sorts of stuff with mine, including paper airplane launchings from the loft... :-) I used to have a really good book on different varieties of paper airplanes. I can't remember the title, but I am sure you could find it, or similar in a book store or hobby shop. For boys, and girls alike this is a great way to pass some very entertaining hours.

I also used to save various stuff I found here and there on paper airplanes. Ones my friends made that worked particularly well, or even one I found in popular science magazine that set distance records and had a weird inverted wing shape that puzzled aeronautics experts for months before they puzzled out the physics of how this thing could fly. A father invented it for his bored kids. :-)

Fascinated by paper airplanes? Not really, just think they are cool. There are even a few that have sufficient stiffness to fly in wind outside and on a good day you won't be seeing them again once launched. Anyway, worth a try.
Old 02-24-04, 08:49 AM

<

Old 02-24-04, 09:09 AM

What the heck is the carrot for?
Old 02-24-04, 09:12 AM

I actually wrote something behind it but I"m such a stupid I forgot it doesn't print it.

What it said was I'm interested in flight any shape or form and I do not know any child who isn't.

Old 02-24-04, 09:20 AM

Well, Paper airplanes rock. ;-)

Also you can do the little paper chinese stars. We used to turn out all the lights and run around the house having Ninja fights... I can't believe I am admitting this... Heh.
Old 02-24-04, 09:22 AM

Someday I will explain the concept of Dinosaur hunting and YES I still play!!!!

Old 02-24-04, 09:24 AM

You can also buy kite string from the store, and some wooden dowels from any craft or hobby store, along with some of those little paper re-enforcing rings you use for binders and make your own kites, with either trash bags (plastic works well, but can be a pain to work with) or News paper. I used to do this as a tot, and had a good deal of fun.
Old 02-24-04, 09:25 AM

Actually that is a good idea you wouldn't know exactly how to go about building one would you. I think it would be something I could do with Dakota's cub scout pack.

Old 02-24-04, 09:26 AM

Well, my five year old is the only one who still wants to play with me... :-( Everyone else is too old and "mature" now. Joey isn't ADD, but he does enjoy beating the crap out of Daddy. :-)
Old 02-24-04, 09:27 AM

It's pretty simple, really. I could send you how I did it if you like.
Old 02-24-04, 09:27 AM

lol I don't know any kid who doesn't; unfortunatly, ADD children are hard to stop until someone is mad.

Old 02-24-04, 09:28 AM

yes, thank you