ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-30-08, 06:45 PM

v639dragoon is on a distinguished road
Can adderall decrease my performance/endurance in sports?

Hey,
i've been diagnosed with add with some hyperactivity for a couple of years, im 18 right now. Today i went swimming again and just realized that i think it is the adderall xr 25 mg with 12.5 mg boosters that have completely decreased my endurance and speed in swimming. I started taking stimulants senior year in high school, testing various ones, and noticed that i did not have the energy or speed or endurance like i used to when i swam competitively in the years prior.
Could it be that the adderall instead of increasing my performance like it does for many, has decreased my performance ? I take the adderall everyday for school now, so i cant just get rid of it or my grades will be bad . So basically my question is, has anyone experienced this increase in fatigue in sports and working out, and is this possibly related to my medicine?

THanks!!
-matt
Old 01-30-08, 07:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Re: Can adderall decrease my performance/endurance in sports?

I think it may alter exercise physiology testing on treadmills, etc.

e.g. Stimulants seem to increase resting HR, and alter respiration patterns (faster breathing). So, as I understand it, you would have less leeway for increasing to your HR max and and VO2 max, as the body's burden of the exercise increased, etc.

Amphetamines also alter sleep architecture, for example, they increase PLMS, which may alter Stage 3 and Stage 4 muscle repair that is supposed to happen in sleep.

In one famous sleep study, a researcher did quite an elegant study where he messed up healthy people's sleep for 5 nights in a row by giving them repeated awakenings (similar to how interrupted sleep would disturb a person's sleep patterns). They all developed generalized myalgia (all over body muscle aches and pains and fatigue).

Talk to your MD (Family Doc or Psychiatrist) about the exercise effects of taking stimulants?

-------

Link I found:

1. http://www.drugfreesport.com/choices...phetamine.html
Old 01-30-08, 08:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah it can effect those things for sure.

Do you find you run out of breath quickly? Heart beating fast? etc.

Solution: Stop taking the stimulants on day of sport or change to another medication and see if it helps. (talk to your doctor obviously)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-08, 08:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

NonSequitor will become famous soon enough

If anything stimulants will help your athletic performance. Some athletic organizations have disqualified competitors taking therapeutic stimulants because it is believed to give them an advantage over other competitors.

Mitch Hedberg (RIP)