ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-31-08, 09:19 AM
jimmyk000 jimmyk000 is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jimmyk000 is on a distinguished road
Adderall is not working any more

I am currently on 80mg (1 20mg tablet 4 times daily) of Adderall IR. I started on 40mg's daily and moved up to 80mg because it wasn't working any more. I was doing great and felt motivated, alert, and I could concentrate more. Now its wearing off again. I don't have any motivation any more, and its hard for me to get any work done. Lately I have been skipping a dose, and taking 2 20mg tablets right before I study. Its really the only way I can focus on my work.

So my question is:
Should I look in to Adderall XR? Maybe a mix or XR and IR? I am a Web Developer during the day, and I go to college full time at night, so I need to focus 14-16 hours per day. Is it safe to take 1 XR in the morning for work, then used the IR tablets for when I have school/homework/freelance work?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-31-08, 02:11 PM
Hutch1ns Hutch1ns is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Essex County, MA, USA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Hutch1ns is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall is not working any more

If the IR isn't working for you the XR will be worse. 20mg of XR is the equivilant of 2 10mg doses (you get 10mg for 3 hours and then the other 10mg's start to work for another 3 hours.)

I have to take 30mg(IR) in the morning and then I start taking doses of 15mg(IR) every 2 1/2 hours after that. It seems the first dose doesn't really work, however.

How much are you sleeping at night? If you aren't getting enough sleep then you could be suffering from dopamine deletion which is leading to the ineffectiveness of the Adderall. Adderall depletes dopamine levels in the brain. Dopamine gets replenished when you sleep but you need to get a full 8 hours sleep in order for it all to get replenished.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hutch1ns For This Useful Post:
ethibaul (02-10-08), june1986 (09-01-11)
  #3  
Old 01-31-08, 02:34 PM
jimmyk000 jimmyk000 is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jimmyk000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall is not working any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch1ns View Post
If the IR isn't working for you the XR will be worse. 20mg of XR is the equivilant of 2 10mg doses (you get 10mg for 3 hours and then the other 10mg's start to work for another 3 hours.)

I have to take 30mg(IR) in the morning and then I start taking doses of 15mg(IR) every 2 1/2 hours after that. It seems the first dose doesn't really work, however.

How much are you sleeping at night? If you aren't getting enough sleep then you could be suffering from dopamine deletion which is leading to the ineffectiveness of the Adderall. Adderall depletes dopamine levels in the brain. Dopamine gets replenished when you sleep but you need to get a full 8 hours sleep in order for it all to get replenished.
I don't really ever have a problem falling asleep, its just that I am so busy that I sleep about 6 hours per night on average. I'll look into dopamine, and try to get more sleep. Hopefully it will be better.

Would increasing my dose be an option? I'm not sure how much is too much, but I feel like 80mg per day is getting up there. Would 4 30mg per day be overkill? Or maybe 30mg two times a day and 20mg two more times? Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 01-31-08, 02:51 PM
Hutch1ns Hutch1ns is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Essex County, MA, USA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Hutch1ns is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall is not working any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk000 View Post
I don't really ever have a problem falling asleep, its just that I am so busy that I sleep about 6 hours per night on average. I'll look into dopamine, and try to get more sleep. Hopefully it will be better.

Would increasing my dose be an option? I'm not sure how much is too much, but I feel like 80mg per day is getting up there. Would 4 30mg per day be overkill? Or maybe 30mg two times a day and 20mg two more times? Thanks for the reply.
If you need a higher dose then you need a higher dose just make sure you get your heart checked out (EKG's ect.)

I used to take 30mg 4 times a day but after a whole mess caused by an anti-depressant I'm unable to find a Doctor to prescribe me more than 60mg a day. My Last Psychiatrist just kicked me out on the street after I asked her to increase my dosage to 100mg/day, which I take anyways because it's what I need to be theraputic.

Does a Psychiatrist prescribe you the Adderall? If so, would you mind sharing his/her name? I noticed you're not too far from me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-31-08, 08:50 PM
Scattered's Avatar
Scattered Scattered is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,399
Thanks: 228
Thanked 296 Times in 153 Posts
Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Re: Adderall is not working any more

If you're developing tolerance to the medication, I wouldn't recommend increasing your dose without talking with your doctor. Being tired or stressed will make it difficult to focus even on medication, so getting enough rest and getting lots of exercise can help. Spark a great new book on exercise and the brain (including a section on ADD) by Dr. Ratey says that it can work in the short term like a dose of Adderall and Prozac combined by increasing the dopamine and serotonin in the brain. Hallowell and Ratey in Delivered from Distraction also recommend Omega III fatty oils from fish -- they're some of the building blocks for dopamine -- combine that with exercise and it may really help your symptoms. Even just a ten minute burst of exercise can help the ADD brain focus better.
__________________
ADHD Books and Tapes: www.addwarehouse.com; www.specialneeds.com
ADHD Online Articles: www.schwablearning.org ;www.allkindsofminds.com
ADHD Coaching & Classes: www.addclasses.com

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-08, 08:03 PM
jimmyk000 jimmyk000 is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jimmyk000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall is not working any more

Thanks for all your input everyone. I'll talk to my doctor and go from there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-08, 08:58 PM
Hutch1ns Hutch1ns is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Essex County, MA, USA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Hutch1ns is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall is not working any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
If you're developing tolerance to the medication, I wouldn't recommend increasing your dose without talking with your doctor. Being tired or stressed will make it difficult to focus even on medication, so getting enough rest and getting lots of exercise can help. Spark a great new book on exercise and the brain (including a section on ADD) by Dr. Ratey says that it can work in the short term like a dose of Adderall and Prozac combined by increasing the dopamine and serotonin in the brain. Hallowell and Ratey in Delivered from Distraction also recommend Omega III fatty oils from fish -- they're some of the building blocks for dopamine -- combine that with exercise and it may really help your symptoms. Even just a ten minute burst of exercise can help the ADD brain focus better.
Honestly, does a half hour of intercourse count as exercise?

Also, I've tried the combo of a small dose of Zoloft (50mg) and Adderall and did extremely well for the first 2 months. When I went up to 100mg, I ended up going manic for a year. The doctors thought the problem was the Adderall but it turned out to be incorrect, it was actually the Zoloft that sent me off. I do not have bi polar disorder either.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-01-08, 09:19 PM
livinginchaos's Avatar
livinginchaos livinginchaos is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UnderGround
Posts: 9,954
Blog Entries: 11
Thanks: 2,984
Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,419 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall is not working any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch1ns View Post
If the IR isn't working for you the XR will be worse. 20mg of XR is the equivilant of 2 10mg doses (you get 10mg for 3 hours and then the other 10mg's start to work for another 3 hours.)

medications work differently for everyone, therefore generalizing meds isn't always appropriate. We are not trained professionals and cannot give definite advice.



As always, seek the assistance of your trained medical professional to make important medication decisions.
__________________

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-08, 03:04 AM
Hutch1ns Hutch1ns is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Essex County, MA, USA
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Hutch1ns is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall is not working any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginchaos View Post
medications work differently for everyone, therefore generalizing meds isn't always appropriate. We are not trained professionals and cannot give definite advice.



As always, seek the assistance of your trained medical professional to make important medication decisions.
They're the same drugs just dispensed in different forms. One is meant to last longer than the other.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-29-12, 09:59 PM
bethie44 bethie44 is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hixson, TN
Posts: 11
Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
bethie44 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall is not working any more

I've been taking Adderall for a few months. I've had ups and downs with it. When it works, it's like a miracle drug. However, sometimes it doesn't seem to do anything, and sometimes it actually makes me feel really bad and fatigued. I don't want to keep raising my dose. I'm thinking of trying something else, or maybe an Adderall/ Wellbutrin combo.Has anyone else who has had inconsistent results with Adderall had better success with something else?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-30-12, 05:17 PM
perfectchronic perfectchronic is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 57
Thanks: 33
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
perfectchronic is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall is not working any more

really, what I would do is take a few days off from the meds and get a full body detox; so it will work without raising the dosage. b/c Im almost to the point of taking more and started taking them 3 days ago. I was supposed to take 1/20mg adderall a day, but now I take 2 if I have to work.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
60mg/day of Adderall makes me calm but sleepy michael117 Adderall 10 01-31-14 11:33 PM
An Article about Adderall MillenniumMan Adderall 44 10-20-08 02:44 AM
Adderall and High Blood Pressure Moab Adderall 3 01-11-08 01:37 PM
Nausea when taking Adderall and food? lost_in_texas Adderall 7 01-07-08 01:02 PM
adderall not working lunarfrog Adderall 5 03-12-07 08:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2014 ADD Forums