ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 02-03-08, 03:49 PM

illegible is on a distinguished road
First visit to a child psychiatrist -- what to expect?

I'm taking my five-year-old son to a psychiatrist this week. We'd had hoped to find other treatment, but it looks like this is what he needs for his ADHD and ODD.

What can I expect the visit to be like? What questions should I ask the doctor? Any advice?
Old 02-04-08, 11:46 AM

Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,806 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First visit to a child psychiatrist -- what to expect?

Any questions you have write them down so you don't forget to ask them. Make sure you mention any concerns you're having too. If you want to try another approach as well, ask. I got a great recommendation from my son's psyc for a play therapist. Since people in this field tend to know others, it's a good place to start.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
Old 02-04-08, 11:56 AM

Thanks. My son saw a psychologist, who thinks play therapy wouldn't work for him (he has ADHD and ODD) -- but it's a good idea to ask if the shrink can think of anything else to try, as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-08, 10:14 PM

Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

It's a fine line to walk. Wanting to make sure you're doing everything you can to help your kid, while at the same time not wanting to waste time (and money) on bunk.

I'm curious as to why the psyc doesn't think play therapy would work for your son.

Old 02-04-08, 11:02 PM

His big problems are his lack of impulse control and his aggression. I guess she thinks play therapy won't help with those. She does play therapy, so I appreciate that she's referring us to someone else -- although we can, and will, continue to see her, as well. I think.
Old 02-05-08, 12:30 PM

Impulse control was an issues here (aggression still is), and we've also moved onto other things as well. While play therapy hasn't made it all better, it has helped a lot. After several sessions working on control, we noticed he is doing much better and trying.
*shrugs*

I guess it all depends on the child and the therapist.

Old 02-05-08, 04:14 PM

Interesting! I'll keep it in mind.