ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-10-10, 03:49 PM

Breee is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse Side Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin_noel24 View Post
I have been taking 30mg for about 10 days now. I have never taken any other ADD medicines before so I dont know if what I am experiencing is normal or if it will just go away?
I already have insomnia and a pretty bad case as well as depression,which I no longer take medicine for.
This medicine is supposed to last 8-10 hours and I find it really only works for 4 or 5 but I cant sleep even well after it is supposed to have worn off. My doctor is dropping me down a dose and I am scared that it will only last 1 to 2 hours. I also am never hungry(which I am not complaining about... saves on the grocery bill haha), I get burst of enery and get super like excited, I sometimes cant stand people to talk to me especially when I am in the middle of something. The only side effect that is causing me a big issue is the sleeping..
Does anyone else have similar sleeping issues?

Yes, I have been on the med for not even a week and in a 3 day period I slept no more then 7 hours together!
Old 04-12-10, 03:58 PM

maranelloboy05 is on a distinguished road

Do many of the side effects go away after a few weeks?

I was started on Adderall XR 20mg in January and then to 25mg. My doc switched me to Vyvance 50mg about a week ago. None of the side effects of Adderall bothered me, but I wouldn't necessarily crash in the afternoon, I just didn't want to do anything but watch TV or lay on the couch after class all morning. The appetite loss, dry mouth were the only side effects I had with the Adderall and those didn't bother me.

Now I'm on Vyvanse and the side effects are really starting to bother me. For one it takes a couple hours to kick in, which was really nice with the Adderall being wide awake in 10 minutes. I'm now getting headaches and have a constant stomach ache while one it. I never really felt the Adderall at all, but I'm feeling a real crash now on the Vyvanse, like I just want to go to sleep in the middle of the afternoon.

These go away for anyone? I'm really considering going back on the Adderall if these don't go away, I seemed to respond much better to it.
Old 04-12-10, 05:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about

I've been on it just over a month (with almost a week off mid-point) and have had no continuing negative side effects except possibly an itchy head. Not even the heartburn, which I normally have all the time. That could be because I'm not stress eating at night because I don't want to eat much at all. The itchy head concerns me. I posted a thread about it because I wasn't sure if it was due to a hair product my hairdresser used on my roots, which had an ingredient I might be allergic to. So, my doctor had me go off the Vyvanse and take a prescription antihistamine for a few days then go back on Vyvanse. I do not usually have an itchy head, but do now. I'm wondering if I just have to wash it daily again now or if maybe the Vyvanse can cause some sort of candida problem? I'd hate to stop taking it, though.
Old 04-12-10, 10:26 PM
Jr Member

yogamama will become famous soon enough

Today is day 5 for me (40mg), and I don't really think that I like this medication. I was just diagnosed, so I can't compare this drug with any other (with one exception, and I'll explain later).

I take it anywhere from 9:30AM-10:30AM, and it's only lasting until about 3PM. Each day, I've had a slightly different experience. Only thing that's been consistent is the diarrhea about 5X/day. After around 3PM, I start to feel really BLAH and a little sad. I have no energy, and I procrastinate and get distracted MORE than before I started taking it. I just want to sleep, but I can't because I'm a student who has a test on Wednesday.

Anyway, I'm going to tell the Dr. that I don't think I can take this stuff anymore. I want to give it a chance, but I have finals coming up. I have small children, and I HAVE to study at night. But, as you can see, here I am not getting my sh*t done....grrr.

Thanks for letting me rant. That's what I do.
Old 04-12-10, 10:27 PM
Contributor

xenonscreams is just really nicexenonscreams is just really nicexenonscreams is just really nicexenonscreams is just really nice

It has only been three days so I don't know what's a side effect and what's a coincidence, but I'm going to keep monitoring it (I impulsively bought a pretty journal last week for $10 and I have nothing to use it for, so this is perfect).

+s are good things
-s are bad things

Day 1:
+ calm
+ no restlessness
+ more social
+ less irritable
+ easier to talk on the phone
- headache
- decreased appetite
- starving after medication wore off

Day 2:
+ calm
+ studied for over six hours
- difficulty sleeping, felt very hot in normal temperatures
- low appetite

Day 3:
+ calm
+ easier to study and tutor my students
- nervous for no reason
- difficult to eat as much as usual
Old 05-03-10, 01:18 AM

Mday is on a distinguished road

I have been on 30mg Adderrall XR for 5yrs and just changed to 50mg Vyvanse because of mood swings. This is my third week on it and I feel it's controlling my ADHD better each time I take it. Overall Vyvanse has been a much smoother drug without euphoria or crashes. My main issue is that it is causing diarrhea 4+ times a day. This doesn't seem to be a common side effect and I was just wondering if any one else has had this issue and if it went away?
Old 05-03-10, 11:33 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Sit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura aboutSit-n-Spin has a spectacular aura about

I had a little laxative effect, but not that much. Maybe you were just more constipated before than you realized. Or maybe you're drinking a lot more water so that caused a change.
Old 05-03-10, 04:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

~Mday: I do have diarrhea from time to time when taking any stimulant medication. I have taken IR & XR Adderall, IR dexedrine, and Vyvanse. I currently take 50mg of Vyvanse.

I tend to have more bowel movements when taking Adderall (IR or XR) then I do when taking Dexedrine or Vyvanse.

I take the added side effect as a benefit to my body because of one reason.
I suffer from Crohn's Disease. Most of the time I have difficulties going to the restroom due to extreme constipation. The Crohn's Disease has caused excessive scarring in my lower small intestine and colon which has resulted overtime the narrowing of my bowel. I appreciate the side effect of going to the restroom because now my bowel movement is normal to say the least.

Eventually that side effect will go away. I has went away with me.

I hope this helps with any questions you or anyone else may have with that particular "side effect" caused by Vyvanse or any other stimulants.
Old 07-08-10, 09:04 PM

Mdavids2 is on a distinguished road

I am 23 and a student in college. I have always been hyper, overly active, and thus struggled through school. My parents were always against medication and felt I just had to study harder and not screw around. I was also opposed to the idea of medication when I was younger. I made it through grade school fine.fficeffice" />>>
> >
Since I started college I have seen my focus and attention disappear. My grades tanked and I ended up dropping class after class. I also noticed I was not performing at work as well. I have struggled to my final year but I cannot afford any further delays or bad grades. I finally decided on my 23rd birthday to talk to a doctor. My doctor refused to put me on Adderall. I was first put on Strattera. It worked well for the first month or so. I found it easier to say on task and keep focused. Then I had to up the dose to see any difference. I also experience a bunch of very strange side effects. I had trouble urinating, pain in my testicles, etc. Of course I freaked out and did not correlate these symptoms to the Strattera so I went to the doctor for tests. I checked out fine and decided to stop taking the meds for a while. All the side effects went away. I started taking the Strattera again and the side effects were back. I went back to the doctor and she put me on Vyvanse 30mg.>>
> >
To this point Vyvanse has been a miracle! I have seen a change in myself that I didn’t think was possible. I am currently on 60mg and have been taking Vyvanse for over 3 months. The medicine kicks in in about an hour. The first hour (with my new dose of 60mg) I am a little bit “over-the-top”. I get very talkative and very “fast paced”. I think I this is a result of adjusting to the new dose. Once I “settle down” I am completely focused, I stay focused, I find myself more caring, organized, and responsible. It lasts though out the day and does not drop off. It slowly wears off which I like. One thing I have noticed, that I feel speaks volumes, is that I have stopped biting my nails. I have been biting my nails since I can remember. After 2 weeks of taking Vyvanse I realized I had completely stopped. >>
> >
I do experience two side effects. Dry mouth is the most prevalent lasting through out the day and decreased appetite. Both of which are not an issue for me. If I take it late in the day I find it difficult to sleep. Other then that it has been amazing! I only wish I had started this years ago. >>
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mdavids2 For This Useful Post:
cattail (12-21-11), sparklepants (01-16-13)
Old 07-08-10, 10:05 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have taken Vyvanse for about 2 years.

Side-effects in order of frequency and pervasiveness:

1. Accelerated heartbeat
2. Craving cigarettes (tried to quit many times)
3. Reduced appetite
4. Insomnia (fades over time, but I feel it is just sleep deficit)
5. "Hyper-focus" (occasionally when consume coffee in addition to)
6. Infrequent anxiety, nothing substantial.

Benefits far outweigh the side-effects for me though.
ADHDTigger (07-08-10)
Old 04-22-11, 04:51 PM

CB750C is on a distinguished road

I have just started Vyvanse today as my first ever ADD treatment at the age of 26.

I truly didn't know what to expect, but this seems okay. It may be a bit strong, but it was just introduced into my system so I have to adapt.

So Far:
-Talkative
-Focused on work
-Not hungry at all
-Using the bathroom

I had friends in college that used to used Adderall for their exams. They always told me to drink an adequate amount of water, and force yourself to eat. They said that the "crash" was from not eating.

I already have a diet that I stick to. I will let you know how it works out if you want.

I am happy to have this help me work through the mundane parts of life that I end up working twice as hard at. I want to give this a try and see it through. The BEST thing I have read in the forums so far is where a man said that:

"When I thought that it had worn off and wasn't doing anything, I became disappointed. I then realized that I had become myself again and my personality was back to where I started. I was able to complete tasks, but I didn't have that odd feeling from when I started. My body had adjusted perfectly."

Things like this give me hope.
Old 04-27-11, 03:03 PM

XL5W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreay724 View Post
Also, my feet are always cold
I've found that proper hydration helps to relieve cold extremities.

FWIW, at minimum, everyone should drink half their weight (in ounces) of water per day. If you drink coffee, soda or alcohol during the day/night you need to drink at least an equal measure of water if not twice the measure.

I don't EVER drink soda anymore, I try to drink two to one with coffee because it is ALSO a diuretic like Vyvanse and two to one with alcohol to (now get this) diminish the effect.

And since I drink coffee/green/white tea in the morning and take Vyvanse and train CrossFit I try to hydrate whenever I look at water.

Personally I use Reverse Osmosis with Concentrace Mineral Drops added...and a 1/4 tsp of Himalayan or Pink Sea Salt per quart.

Since I try to avoid processed foods I don't worry about adding the good salt to water because in addition to it's normal benefits it breaks the surface tension of the water allowing for better systemic absorption.

See Dr. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj for more on the healing properties of proper hydration and "good" salt.

And throw your table salt AWAY!
Old 04-27-11, 04:36 PM

Turb0 is on a distinguished road

Dry mouth. Somewhat lack of appetite. A little bit of chest pain after it wears off (expected since my heart beats almost twice as fast for about 5-6 hours straight) I'm on 40mgs once a day. No other side effects like crashing, headaches, anxiety (actually gets rid of some of it).
Old 04-28-11, 06:15 AM

amrobinson is on a distinguished road

On 50mg since October... I seem to always have a bowel movement after taking? Some days it seems like if I use the bathroom after taking Vyvanse, my ADD symptoms get worse and I'm just left with the energy component of the meds and it kind of revs up my anxiety.

Anyone familiar with this? or could help me understand what this is?
Old 04-28-11, 07:59 AM

chellbpace is on a distinguished road

hi I an new here but I have a few concerns. My 8 yr old was given 20mg of vyvanse about 3 months ago and it was a "miracle". His grades went from 50's to 80,90 and even some 100's with in 2 weeks. He has never had behavioral problems outside the norms of a little boy. However, the last 2 weeks he has had emotional outburst, anger and withdrawn. This week he was in the bathroom at school and as he was walking by another child he put a neckalace around his throat and pulled it hard. Of course he was quickly taken to the principals office. When asked why he did this he simply states he dosen't know and that he ws just playing. This concerns me to no end I made a dr. appointment thinking it was a reaction to the medication and the dr says that its an impulsive behavior and we need to increase his dose. I know one of the main side effects is aggresion and anger so I am confused. has anyone elese seen thru this how can I be sure its not the medication making him act this way. If I take him off he will not passed the 2nd grade.