ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 02-04-08, 11:34 PM

highspeed is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse & Alcohol

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences while drinking alcohol & taking Vyvanse. I'm currently on 30mg of Vyvanse. I was on 60mg but the aggressive/rage side effects were too much.

I've noticed, on more than one occasion, that when I drink I get this urge to want more. I don't have a history of alcohol or drug abuse but I've always been a social drinker. I'm concerned mostly because I end up crashing extremely hard or blacking out, in a sense, after only 2-3 beers.

Any similar experiences? Being that this drug is marketed towards the school age kids, I haven't read much about this.
Old 02-05-08, 01:35 AM
Forum Guru

blueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the rough
Re: Vyvanse & Alcohol

I've drank while I've been on Vyvanse, if anything it changed my drinking. Granted, my tolerence wasn't as great, but I also didn't have the urge to drink 8 long island ice teas. For the first time in years I was able to go out with my friends and be the "social" drinker...and not the girl falling on her butt in front of a club trying to get her license out because she's too drunk to stand(yes, that really happen to me).

I don't really drink at all now...lol...especially after the new medication. My liver is having a hard enough time...no need to stress it out even more.

Lamictal
Wellbutrin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueyeyore For This Useful Post:
Melmo24 (07-19-11), MJwatson (02-16-08)
Old 02-13-08, 01:27 PM

heretic is on a distinguished road

I've found that I have way less desire to drink or smoke pot (which was the big one for me) when I'm on vyvanse. I still do occasionally, but I usually put my drink down and forget about it, and when I smoke I feel really high really fast, almost to the point where it is unpleasant, so i don't do it often.
The Following User Says Thank You to heretic For This Useful Post:
Stressless37 (11-17-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-08, 12:57 AM

hippie_chick is on a distinguished road

I went from drinking almost every day (2-4 beers) to almost never after starting vyvanse - without even trying. My doc says that's b/c I was probably "self-medicating" myself w/alcohol when my ADHD was untreated. Makes sense...
canadug (01-04-11), MJwatson (02-16-08), Stressless37 (11-17-12)
Old 08-04-08, 12:42 PM

keback1 is on a distinguished road

I just started vyvanse last week and on sat. i tok it at 4pm ( prolly not good) and worked till ten... coming off of adderall that was fine it wore off right after work and i was ok to go out with friends... well i got home and started drinking around 11 -12ish and got very aggressive and rageful.. i blacked out and dont no why i was like that!!! the next day i got super depressed and could not figure out why i was like that! is this common or am i just purely losing it ??
Old 08-10-08, 09:14 PM
Jr Member

gdmathe is on a distinguished road

I've read in a few articles that if vyvanse is in your system when you drink, it only takes 2 drinks to get you blacked out and you will not be feeling very good the next day. I wait a full 24 hours after the pill has worn off before I will drink any sort of alcohol...and I haven't had any problems yet!
Old 08-11-08, 09:53 AM

mw26 is on a distinguished road

I have les urge to drink while on Vyvanse. If I go out when on the med i am far less likely to drink alot. I only have a few and on many occasion have not really drank at all. On vyvanse i am even the "DD"
Most people I have talked to or read about said it gives them less of an urge to drink when on the med vs being of the med.
Old 08-11-08, 04:26 PM
Jr Member

gdmathe is on a distinguished road

mw26,

I have done the same thing. I have a bachelors party coming up this labor day weekend, and I offered to be the DD for it because I'll just take my medicine and lose the whole urge to drink. I don't understand why it makes you want to not drink.
Old 08-17-08, 03:02 PM

kkslider is on a distinguished road

as a reference, i don't really enjoy drinking so well anyway. i mean, i do it but only socially and without much enjoyment/enthusiasm. but vyvanse makes it almost impossible for me because i really lose any urge at all.

however, by the time i usually start drinking it's well worn off, so that's good. i've never experienced any actual problems/interactions maybe for this reason, though.
Old 12-01-08, 02:34 PM

djk5678 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmathe View Post
I've read in a few articles that if vyvanse is in your system when you drink, it only takes 2 drinks to get you blacked out and you will not be feeling very good the next day. I wait a full 24 hours after the pill has worn off before I will drink any sort of alcohol...and I haven't had any problems yet!

Any chance you can post the links of the articles that you are referring to? Thanks.
Old 12-01-08, 03:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about

When Vyvanse is still in my system I don't have the urge to drink nearly as much, probably because being able to focus for a change is so nice, why would you want to do something to mess that up?

keback1: You're not alone, I have drank with the Vyvanse still in effect after work and it was not a good experience at all, not a good idea. I ended up drinking way too much and it made me very depressed and emotionally volatile. The next day I was thinking, "what was so different about last night, why was I so upset?" Then it was like, duh, it has to be the drugs interacting.

The only negative effects on my mood that Vyvanse alone has is that if I'm irritable it can make it 10x worse than normal, but this doesn't happen very often. I don't know, not a good idea combining the two, better to be safe.
Old 12-02-08, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

E4rolls will become famous soon enough

When I was off meds I had to drink 4-8 beers a day to self-medicate and "escape" from my severe anxiety. Since being on dex and Vyvanse I no longer have any desire to drink alcohol. If I have a few beers on a special occasion, I get moody and irritable and I think my meds are'nt working anymore. I am also taking AD so obviously I have no business drinking at all.

Supplements: 1000mg Omega-3, multivitamin

Diagnosed: ADHD combined, Bipolar I with mania and psychotic features, SAD (Social Phobia)

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."-Anonymous
Old 12-05-08, 07:31 AM

afrien7225 is on a distinguished road

Im a fairly large person (6'6 200lbs) and after a heavy night of drinking i cannot take vyvanse until i am completely sober again. Combination of wakeing up still slightly drunk,vyvanse, and running turned into me laying on a soccer field for 30 minutes spinning around in circle. While medicated and intoxicated I am super aggressive and my mood changes very quickly. I can still karaoke like Bon jovi though.
Old 12-05-08, 08:05 PM

985x is on a distinguished road

Since being on vyvanse I've found it takes alot less alcohol to impair me so now I rarely drink.
Old 12-06-08, 03:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

trying has a spectacular aura abouttrying has a spectacular aura about

To speak only of my personal experience (yours may be different, and I am not offering medical advice), an urge to drink stimulated (heh) by stimulant medication has been, like jaw-clenching, a sign of excess nervous tension. And likewise, I found magnesium orotate/taurate, DHEA, and ginkgo biloba to each be helpful in easing this tension. Alternatives to alcohol, which although useful/fun carefully administered (heh) can quickly become extremely problematic used in this fashion.

I do not generally have problems with tension with my current regimen, and I usually drink 1-2 (within the healthy range) servings of wine or beer daily, which is pleasant with no untoward reaction or problems. Very rarely a bit more.

I suspect that alcohol (especially carbonated beer) may acidify the urine and thus speed the excretion of amphetamine and methylphenidate however. Buffering with lots of green vegetables or drinking V8 or lemon juice (citric acid paradoxically causes the urine to become more alkaline) is something I personally would try if I found this to be an issue.