ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-07-08, 09:16 PM

v639dragoon is on a distinguished road
Pharmacy wont let me refill because its too soon?? anyone heard of this

Hey,
well i've been taking stimulants for a couple of years prescribed, ive tried a bunch of different ones, but the one that worked the best for me was adderall. i've been taking an xr 25mg in the morning and 12.5 mg instant booster in the evening. Well, my doctor recently moved my dosage to 30mg xr and 15mg boosters. So the story is basically, i went to cvs pharmacy today to get it filled, and the guy said he couldnt fill it becuz of california state law saying they can only refill a narcotic every 28 days. I was like wtf, ive never heard of that. I still have a bunch of my 25 mg's and instants left for the month. But im in college without a car and its hard for me to get rides to the pharmacy becuz the other people with cars have class and stuff to do sometimes. and how am i supposed to take the increased dose in the morning ? oh well

I remember that i was able to refill my adderall sooner than 28 days. It's been 21 days apparently since my last refill, so i have to wait i guess.
Is it just this pharmacy with this law?
has anyone else had this experience?
Should i try another pharmacy?

Thankksss !!
Old 02-07-08, 09:26 PM
Contributor

watts will become famous soon enough
Re: Pharmacy wont let me refill because its too soon?? anyone heard of this

Since you received a "new" script with a different strength the pharmacy should honor it regardless of when the previous one was. I would consider asking your doctor's office about this. Let us know what happens.
Old 02-07-08, 09:27 PM

dlmay277 is on a distinguished road

My doc said he couldnt give me a script that included refills, he had to write me a new one for each month and post date them. But, I didn't have any problem when I had been on 10mg for a week, and he changed it to 20mg plus 5mg IR. They filled it right away. I think that it may be NEW prescriptions that they can fill, but not the same one.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-08, 09:59 PM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

where I am, I can't have refills listed on the script. Need new script each time. I cannot get a new script filled prior to designated time, but I'm not so sure it wasn't just an insurance issue, because the pharmacy filled it and I paid for it sans insurance.

Your state may have different laws on this, definitely call your doctor. If you're changing meds, and insurance is not involved or concerned, I can't figure out why they won't fill.

I just re-read your post... and did a little googling of california law and schedule II drugs... I can't help wonder if your pharmacy isn't suspicious of your med motives.

Definitely call your doctor.

Old 02-07-08, 10:29 PM
Jr Member

RainyZ is on a distinguished road

Did you tell them it was a "dosage adjustment"? I've had my pharmacy ask that question when I've brought a different dosage script in before my other was set to run out. However, my doc would usually calculate what I needed to finish out the script I was on and just write the script for the adjustment.

HTH
Old 02-07-08, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,164 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold

I can only get mine every 28 days too, but I can get one script for 6 months. I set my phone reminder to let me know what date it's due, and I phone the pharmacy to get it filled. If I don't pick it up for a week, that makes no difference..as their computer dates it as filled on day 28...if I leave it past 28 days, the script expires in 6 months and often the last repeat is out of date..

CHINESE PROVERB
Old 02-07-08, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Tell the guy at CVS to take a hike since he can't tell the difference between a narcotic (which Adderall is not) and a stimulant. Anyways he's probably referring to CII meds so every state is different. Ask them again or go to another pharmacy. As long as you have a new script (which is the law for CII meds) there shouldn't be any issues.

J
Old 02-07-08, 10:49 PM

Tachyon is on a distinguished road

If the dosage was changed then I don't see why the pharmacy refuses to fill it up. check with your Dr.
Old 02-07-08, 10:56 PM

v639dragoon is on a distinguished road

ya i have new scripts for both. there not refills from the bottles, there brand new scripts on the paper. thanks for all ur answers so quickly, im gonna go to another pharmacy, i think there just dumb
Old 02-07-08, 11:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Hutch1ns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by v639dragoon View Post
ya i have new scripts for both. there not refills from the bottles, there brand new scripts on the paper. thanks for all ur answers so quickly, im gonna go to another pharmacy, i think there just dumb
I've ran into the same problem with CVS. This pharmacist had something against me, started labeling me and calling me a drug addict because I was trying to get my script filled 3 days early. I even asked her to call the Doctor who wrote out all my prescriptions (a psychiatrist) and she refused to do that. She then refused to give me my prescription back (the written part) and I went AWOL on her. I don't know how I controlled myself enough to not jump over the counter and take it back, but I did and had my mother meet me back at the pharmacy when she woke up (she lives about 20 minutes away fortunately) and she got the script back and and then filled at a different pharmacy for me. She said she ripped the pharmacist a new one and then filed a complaint for me. The Pharmacist was fired or transfered pretty quickly.

Just go to a different pharmacy. CVS hires straight out of the job corp and if it's an older pharmacist chances are she/he doesn't have their PhD. Pharmacists weren't required to get a PhD until a few years ago so everyone who became a pharmacist before then are still pharmacists now and they aren't required to get a PhD. Basically what I'm saying is, a majority of the CVS Pharmacists are complete morons and likely have never even taken a course on pharmacy law.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hutch1ns For This Useful Post:
JoeJack101 (07-10-08)
Old 02-08-08, 05:03 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Teedrum will become famous soon enough

in canada thats how they control it....you can't get the script early unless its a dose increase with a scropt from the doc

Flap, Flap, Flapping my albatross wings..." - Tom Green, Clone High
Old 02-09-08, 12:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

Hutch1ns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedrum View Post
in canada thats how they control it....you can't get the script early unless its a dose increase with a scropt from the doc
There's also another trick around it: By getting different sized pills (ie if you take 60mg you can get 30mg x 2 and then get a 20mg x 3 script early.)
Old 02-09-08, 02:15 AM

civicmon is on a distinguished road

I've had that problem too in the past. Typically it's done so the insurace co. doesn't overpay more than they really should be. I think I had a 20-day wait unless the doc preauth'd it with them.

Amazingly, I have a new insurance package and got 60 adderall 30mg in one shot...
Old 02-09-08, 05:16 PM
Jr Member

Leofwynn will become famous soon enough

Here in Ohio we always have to get a new script every month for my son's Adderall XR. And even though I have refills on my Zoloft, I can't have it filled more often than every 25 days or so, because of the type of drug it is.

I know you must be fustrated, but this is NORMAL here, and has been the entire time I've been taking Zoloft - which is now at least 8 years.
Old 02-09-08, 06:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

gh342000 will become famous soon enough

There is no law in california that says only 1 prescription per 28 days. Even if he was prescribing a narcotic (which he is not) what happens if you need two Percodan tablets instead of 1 per dose. Does the law state that you should suffer in pain for the next 28 days? The doctors discretion applies here. The pharmacist has every right to call the doctor but a law, I don't think so.

Now, the pharmacist may have confused the law with the fact that your insurance will only pay for the med each 28 days. This is a different issue.