ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 12-02-08, 09:51 PM

DejaRayne is on a distinguished road
Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhermit View Post
When your six-year old still waits until the very last second to run to the toilet (every time), and BARELY makes it, because he can't bother with it until he simply can't hold it anymore.

At least yours makes it to the toilet!! Mine doesn't half the time!
Old 12-02-08, 10:24 PM

DejaRayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmam5 View Post
You know your child is ADHD when ...

In 3rd grade they take away his chair (a plaything) and he's perfectly happy to stand at his desk ALL day (my idea)

Yeah, I know how that works... My son isn't allowed to wear a necklace, a BELT(!), shoes with velcrow, (and he still can't tie his own shoes!), or anything like that to school!!! And a chair, yeah, lol, definite play thing...Or should I say jungle gym...

Did I mention he's only 6??
Old 12-26-08, 11:10 AM
Jr Member

keemekee2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When your six-year old still waits until the very last second to run to the toilet (every time), and BARELY makes it, because he can't bother with it until he simply can't hold it anymore.
My girl is 9 soon to be 10 in June......she still does this and it drives me absolutly nuts!!!! OMG.....and doing her laundry is not too pleasant due to the hidden accidents from this.... what can you do???? I have to take DEEP breaths.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-08, 11:34 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
My twins are only 3.5 but I think 1 if not both may end up dx ADD or ADHD. They are charming, happy, funny & way too smart!!!

My daughter was so serious as an infant(always looking at people out of the corner of her eye..studying) & wouldnt try to speak. My mom was sure she was autistic...finally when she Decided to speek at almost a year...Could pronounce any word perfectly & almost in sentences. She is extreamly determined to do things her way...not the normal toddler way. & as pleasent as a child as she is...loves hugs & cuddles has shown a very aggressive side. Like acting perfectly normal & then Suddenly reaches for her brother to pinch him while gritting her teeth! I have sine this since she was able to sit up.She has done it to me if I am trying to dicipline her.

My Son was late to get on his feet...15 months but once he did...he has never walked...just RAN. I am not exagerating. I dont think it is possible for him to just walk. And at night when he is sooooooooooo ready for bed...He needs to squirm around the bed. Often I look in & he is almost doing a headstand on his pillows but his feet still moving him around on the bed!

What to ya'll think?
That is great!!! Mine used to do that when she was younger. Now, she gets in bed when exhausted and asks me a million questions. (Stalling?) Why she does this, I don't know. She used to watch T.V. before bed and would be out in no time, however, she has lost her bedroom T.V. privileges due to straight C's in academic areas. A's in specials (P.E., Art, Music). When I have time I will read a book to her at bedtime (that she is supposed to read for school which she never does because she just won't do it) and she will fall asleep in less than 5 mins.
Old 12-26-08, 11:51 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
My child's answer for everything is "I do not Know". Telling her to go into the bathroom to brush her teeth and finding her playing with the hand soap and staring into the mirror and when she is reminded gives you the blank stare.
My daughter is 9 and I can't believe the stress she causes me over the brushing of the teeth. What part of "your teeth will rot out of your face if you don't brush" doesn't she understand?????
Yeah I have found awful potions that contain who knows what soaps or other liquids in the bathroom. How about where is the body soap I just bought you 5 days ago?????? That must have went down the drain during her 45 min shower!!!!
Mine loves the mirror!!!! The amount of time she wastes making funny faces and noises in front of the mirror is beyond me. The ironic thing is she doesn't waste one second to look in the mirror to see how her clothes look or her hair looks before going to school or anywhere else. Some would say she has her own style....I beg to differ...she didn't plan to actually wear that, she just threw it on so she wouldn't be naked.
Old 01-10-09, 12:56 AM

BrainyB will become famous soon enough

When your 5 year old decides to wash his hair in the sink at school with soap from the soap dispenser in his classroom. He tells his teacher that he didn't have a bath last night.
Old 01-24-09, 03:38 PM

ellefsenmc is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

1)He draws all over himself and colours in his belly button.
2)He cuts up bits of paper into the tiniest pieces ever.
3)Jumps from chair to chair in the sitting on a daily basis.
4)You ask him to get dressed or put shoes and socks on about 10 times but he still hasnt done it

All this and more and we dont know if my son has ADD or ADHD
Old 01-25-09, 05:51 AM

ellefsenmc is on a distinguished road

Oh and uses all the handwash to wash his hands, has drawn over his entire wall with pen and crayon.

the strange thing is, when hes on the pc, he has loads of concentration and can sit still for hours
Old 01-25-09, 11:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,085 Times in 12,173 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellefsenmc View Post
1)He draws all over himself and colours in his belly button.
2)He cuts up bits of paper into the tiniest pieces ever.
3)Jumps from chair to chair in the sitting on a daily basis.
4)You ask him to get dressed or put shoes and socks on about 10 times but he still hasnt done it

All this and more and we dont know if my son has ADD or ADHD
Yeah, what is that with the scissors and the paper? My granddaughter used to do that all the time. Now that she's old enough to clean up after herself she doesn't do it anymore. I hated cleaning up all those teensy tiny bits of paper.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 02-09-09, 11:01 AM
Jr Member

Aven is on a distinguished road

My son was famous for chasing butterflies in the outfield and having non game related conversations with members of the other team when they made it to base during his t-ball games
Old 02-22-09, 07:27 PM
Contributor

RedSkittles will become famous soon enough

Ok, im not a parent, but wen i was little i saw my dad pinch my moms butt (in a friendly way) so i did it to this one kid at school! lol I got a naughty note and didnt get a smiley face stamp for the day :-/
Old 03-02-09, 03:10 PM

michele223 is on a distinguished road

My son was peeing in all the registers in the house instead of using the toilet! I saw the carpet and couldn't figure it out at first why it was yellow. Needless to say I did crack his bottom when I found out.

He kicks the seats and the windows in the car when he is mad and I am driving. Refuses to wear a seat belt. I need to drive him to the police station.

Throws his clothes up on the fan paddles.

The worst is cries and tantrums out in public when we won't give him what he wants which is usually a Happy meal for the toy of course!
Old 03-03-09, 12:53 PM
Jr Member

scully will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

Hello...I'm new here as of today (I posted an introduction) but I couldn't resist posting on this thread.

My son is 8 (almost 9) and we had an "ADHD adventure" just this morning. He, being his usual impulsive self , decided to stick his tongue on a metal pole while waiting at the bus stop. We live in MI, so needless to say, his tongue froze to the pole...and we ended up in the urgent care. After telling a big whopper of a story about how he jumped off a stump and landed with his tongue on the pole (he lies/embellishes, non-stop), he finally admitted that he doesn't know why he did it...he just did.

Now, with a swollen and skinless tongue, we're sort-of-kind-of having a quiet day because he can't talk! I don't think our house has been this quiet in, well, 8 years.

*sorry to gross-out on my first real post, but I couldn't resist sharing*

Welcome to our world!
Scully
Old 03-03-09, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,808 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it was a triple dog dare?

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
Old 03-03-09, 01:30 PM
Jr Member

scully will become famous soon enough

That's funny...I wrote something similar on my facebook.

My son would triple-dog-dare himself, lol!