ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-19-08, 12:45 AM

optionsguy will become famous soon enough
Adderall: Dealing with side effects

Just thought I would post my personal experience on how I deal with the common side effects caused by Adderall.

Just for the curious ones, I have been taking Adderall for 4 years. I take 10mg IR 2-3x a day.

Skip to the summary if you don't want to read all this.

1. Loss of energy: Turned out I really needed about 9 hours of sleep each night. Not really because of the Adderall, but keeped me from upping my dosage.

2. Bad breathe/odor: This would be on/off but very annoying. Bodymint, vitamins, and water took this completely away.

3. Excessive sweating: Again, Bodymint took this away. Also after limiting my coffee intake I noticed a difference.

4. Oily skin/blackheads: I have oily skin anyway but Adderall made it worse. Most products at the supermarket (I'm a guy btw) would either cause more oil or dry me out. I finally settled with Baxter of California.

5. Hair loss: I noticed more hair falling out in the mornings. After starting vitamins and a protein supp I haven't had any big changes in a year.

6. Anxiety and Depression: This was a tricky one. I already suffer from anxiety and depression but sometimes when taking Adderall I would get very emotional and my mood would would bounce back and forth. I tried prozac and some others but hated the "vanilla" feeling. It's been about a year and I haven't suffered from any of those feelings. The only thing I can come up with is sleep and proper nutrition fixed it.

Summary - Remember this is just my personal experience..
All of my symptoms from taking Adderall either went completely away or became unnoticeable after taking more care in my personal health.

I still don't work out much, maybe just pull-ups, push-ups, crunches, but have made a few very minor adjustments.

Just adding the following supplements and using higher quality products seemed to fix it all. So, just in case your curious as to everything I have purchased and take regularly here is a list. Maybe you can compare it with your own or try a few...

Mouth care: Oral-B Pro Care http://www.oralb.com/us/products/product.asp?tid=products⊂=power&cid=power&pid=pc8000 , Bodymint http://www.bodymint.com, mouthwash, tongue cleaner, floss ( I hope you do most of these already ).

Nutrition: Centrum http://www.centrum.com (If your active you need more, try GNC Mega Men Sport), Pro-Nos protein shake for snacks/missed meals (I have tried almost all of them, this is by far the best tasting with no after taste. It is more $$ but tastes nothing like a protein supp. Plus you won't pack on pounds with this one.) http://www.gnc.com/sm-mri-pro-nos-du...i-2607050.html

Face/body/hair care:
For men, I'm a guy...Baxter of California has given me the best results. I'm a pretty boy so you can trust there is some truth. http://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/. I use their shampoo/conditioner, face wash, face scrub, clay mask, and night cream. I use all of this to keep the dirt and oil under control and to make sure my skin is still hydrated. I also use a Gillette sun screen thing to prevent my face from producing more oil. I had great skin before taking Adderall and never had to use expensive or misc products. I was a head and shoulders kind of guy.

Sorry this is long, I just wish someone told me their secrets before I got started. Again, this is just personal experience, I'm sure other products work just as fine, but these worked the best for me. So if your new to these types of products I'm just suggesting you try the ones that worked for me first to avoid some hassle.

If anyone else has a list of specific things they have added to their daily routine please do share!
The Following User Says Thank You to optionsguy For This Useful Post:
selby (02-22-08)
Old 02-19-08, 09:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

Hutch1ns is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall: Dealing with side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by optionsguy View Post
Just thought I would post my personal experience on how I deal with the common side effects caused by Adderall.

Just for the curious ones, I have been taking Adderall for 4 years. I take 10mg IR 2-3x a day.

Skip to the summary if you don't want to read all this.

1. Loss of energy: Turned out I really needed about 9 hours of sleep each night. Not really because of the Adderall, but keeped me from upping my dosage.

2. Bad breathe/odor: This would be on/off but very annoying. Bodymint, vitamins, and water took this completely away.

3. Excessive sweating: Again, Bodymint took this away. Also after limiting my coffee intake I noticed a difference.

4. Oily skin/blackheads: I have oily skin anyway but Adderall made it worse. Most products at the supermarket (I'm a guy btw) would either cause more oil or dry me out. I finally settled with Baxter of California.

5. Hair loss: I noticed more hair falling out in the mornings. After starting vitamins and a protein supp I haven't had any big changes in a year.

6. Anxiety and Depression: This was a tricky one. I already suffer from anxiety and depression but sometimes when taking Adderall I would get very emotional and my mood would would bounce back and forth. I tried prozac and some others but hated the "vanilla" feeling. It's been about a year and I haven't suffered from any of those feelings. The only thing I can come up with is sleep and proper nutrition fixed it.

Summary - Remember this is just my personal experience..
All of my symptoms from taking Adderall either went completely away or became unnoticeable after taking more care in my personal health.

I still don't work out much, maybe just pull-ups, push-ups, crunches, but have made a few very minor adjustments.

Just adding the following supplements and using higher quality products seemed to fix it all. So, just in case your curious as to everything I have purchased and take regularly here is a list. Maybe you can compare it with your own or try a few...

Mouth care: Oral-B Pro Care http://www.oralb.com/us/products/product.asp?tid=products⊂=power&cid=power&pid=pc8000 , Bodymint http://www.bodymint.com, mouthwash, tongue cleaner, floss ( I hope you do most of these already ).

Nutrition: Centrum http://www.centrum.com (If your active you need more, try GNC Mega Men Sport), Pro-Nos protein shake for snacks/missed meals (I have tried almost all of them, this is by far the best tasting with no after taste. It is more $$ but tastes nothing like a protein supp. Plus you won't pack on pounds with this one.) http://www.gnc.com/sm-mri-pro-nos-du...i-2607050.html

Face/body/hair care: For men, I'm a guy...Baxter of California has given me the best results. I'm a pretty boy so you can trust there is some truth. http://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/. I use their shampoo/conditioner, face wash, face scrub, clay mask, and night cream. I use all of this to keep the dirt and oil under control and to make sure my skin is still hydrated. I also use a Gillette sun screen thing to prevent my face from producing more oil. I had great skin before taking Adderall and never had to use expensive or misc products. I was a head and shoulders kind of guy.

Sorry this is long, I just wish someone told me their secrets before I got started. Again, this is just personal experience, I'm sure other products work just as fine, but these worked the best for me. So if your new to these types of products I'm just suggesting you try the ones that worked for me first to avoid some hassle.

If anyone else has a list of specific things they have added to their daily routine please do share!
Do you get facials at a spa and go tanning in a thong as well?

(sorry I couldn't resist.)
Old 02-19-08, 11:01 AM
Forum Guru

MJwatson has a spectacular aura aboutMJwatson has a spectacular aura about

Good health care tips!

Your face/body/haircare regimine is intense! I don't do that much and I am a girl! well, maybe I should! LOL! How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?

Anyway, I'm just teasing. I thought it was helpful post.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-08, 12:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amykins View Post
Your face/body/haircare regimine is intense!
Proves his meds are helping him get things done
. All I do is take a handful of supplements and drugs I have with my ADHD meds.

200 mcg l-selenomethinine [neuroprotective]
10 mg Inderal [reduce body load]
1200 mg N-acetyl-cysteine [neuroprotective]
200 mg R-alpha lipoic Acid [neuroprotective]
30 mg vinpocetine [vasodilator and alertness booster]
200 mcg (or so) huperzine-A [working memory improvement]
Multi-vitamin/Multi-mineral formula
50 mcg levothyoxine (old and expired ...weak) [have hypothyroidism]
500 mg ester-c [neuroprotective]
400 mg(or so) magnesium oxide I have magnesium carbonate to. [alkalizer and Mg source]

less often
few grams of potassium bicarbonate [alkalizer and potassium source]
few grams n-acetyl-carnitine, [neuroprotective]
10 mg lexapro(free sample).[reduce massive increase in sex drive]
Stopped taking 20 mg prozac been too lazy to get more.[depression(not from ADHD meds)]
Took 6 gram fish oil daily for over a year but been to lazy to deal with it lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to theta For This Useful Post:
selby (02-22-08)
Old 02-20-08, 03:57 PM
Contributor

ben72227 will become famous soon enough

Hair loss?

I wasn't aware of that - now I can blame my receding hairline on Adderall ;-P
Old 02-20-08, 06:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

Wow that's a lot of stuff to do

The only side effects I get from Dexamphet. is drowsiness when it wears off so I usually plan to chill on the couch in the evenings if I don't have anything on.

I also wash my face in the morning with soap.
Old 07-22-14, 11:06 PM

drum4life2death is on a distinguished road

That's an insane regiment! I thought I was losing hair too, until I realized it was the hair dye I was using lol. Stopped dying my hair, problem solved. I've been taking Adderall for at least ten years now, with very few side effects so far. The awesome thing I like about adderall, is as long as you don't go overboard and religiously use it the right way, it can do wonders. Also, you don't need to take it all the time in truth. It's simply a helper drug as I see it. Of course follow your Doctor's plan, not mine!!!
Old 07-22-14, 11:28 PM

drum4life2death is on a distinguished road

Also, since I live in Washington State, where weed is legal now. I find smoking it helps most Adderall side effects I do occasionally get from time to time.