ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-21-08, 08:45 PM

oneofthem is on a distinguished road
Concerta vs Adderall xr

I recently switched from short acting ritalin to concerta. I want to try adderall. I want to find the medication that works the best for me.
Just wondering if anyone has tried both concerta and adderall.

Which one worked better? How so? Side effects with Adderall and not concerta vice vera...
Old 02-21-08, 08:55 PM

Makva will become famous soon enough
Re: Concerta vs Adderall xr

I've been on both. Concerta didn't work well enough for me (neither did Straterra). I didn't seem to feel the effects of either. A

dderall, however, I felt. It gave me a clear head, I felt like I could see the big picture of life. That was my first sign that it worked. I was on 20 mg XR from August to December and then it was upped to 30 mg.

I sank into a period of my depression between Dec. and Feb. and my dr thinks it could be the adderall, as depression is apparently one side effect. So, he's taking me off it and upping my Wellbutrin. I hope to get back on it, or something like it, after my mood improves.

So, if Concerta isn't working, you've got some choices.
Old 02-22-08, 08:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

tom888 will become famous soon enough

don't forget Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) which is kind of in the middle and one part of Adderall. Some people love it like me. But we don't have Adderall....

Concerta freaked me out
Ritaling made me agressive
Welbutrin I threw out the window
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-08, 10:43 AM
Contributor

selby will become famous soon enough

Well, everyone is different of course, but Concerta was the first medicine that I took. It worked beautifully for the first few months probably because I'd taken nothing before that. It would last for a shorter and shorter amount of time until I decided I would try Adderall. Adderall made me very tired and spacey. It didn't give me the jolt that Concerta does, the jolt that I need.

I eventually found this volt to be too much and wanted something in the middle of both meds - something that kept me awake but didn't overstimulate me. I tried Dexedrine and have been using it since. It keeps me focused and alert without going overboard. Now, if I take Concerta, I get a very dull headache that seems to last forever. I'm glad I found Dex.

Hope this helps and good luck.

2012 - Adderall 30 mg, Lexapro 10 mg
~ Dexedrine XR 30 mg. 2010~
Ritalin LA 40 mg, Zoloft 100 mg. 2009 ~ Wellbutrin SR 300 mg, Adderall 20 mg. 2008 ~ Dexedrine 40 mg.2006-2007 ~ Concerta 72 mg, Paxil 10 mg.
The Following User Says Thank You to selby For This Useful Post:
Ourdestiny (03-22-08)
Old 02-22-08, 11:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

Thread was moved to the medication section.

I have taken both, and found that the Adderall XR worked better for me. Each person is different and will react differently to medications.

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skully For This Useful Post:
atrain (01-10-10)
Old 06-26-09, 09:17 PM
Jr Member

Briebird is on a distinguished road

I've been wondering about this myself. I used to be on Adderall, which worked beautifully for my ADD BUT I couldn't deal with the crash when it wore off. I would get all kinds of aggressive for no real reason. Bad noise.

My doctor then switched me to Vyvanse (time-released adderall), which didn't really do much and still felt "crash-y" to me.

I now have a bottle of 27mg Concerta which I'm going to try tomorrow. I'll update once I see how it's going :c)
Old 12-22-09, 10:47 AM

mshellb is on a distinguished road

does anyone know if Concerta loses it's effectiveness over time? My daughter has been on it for 5 years, and we can't up her dose anymore because of her size, but it seems like it isn't really working well anymore. Some days it's like she hasn't taken anything. I was wondering if having her switched to Adderall would help?
Old 12-22-09, 10:21 PM

varkjie will become famous soon enough

I was taking conerta and it lost it's effectiveness so I switched to Adderall and it works way better than concerta ever did for me. Trial and error until you find your right match of med.
Old 12-27-09, 04:04 PM

lk44 will become famous soon enough

If your child has been taking a medication for a long time and you're concerned about it losing its potency, there is a great method to reset things. Give her a week or two off the medication.

That may be really hard to do, but could be the best way to refresh her mind to the drug. Otherwise, you may just have to keep on increasing the dose.

As for concerta versus Adderall - I think this article which compares ritalin vs adderall might be helpful.

Old 03-04-10, 01:22 PM

lk44 will become famous soon enough

Stumbled across this thread, saw my old post, and noticed that Health and Life now also has a direct analysis comparing concerta vs adderall xr

Old 04-23-11, 11:57 AM

CityofIce is on a distinguished road

I first tried Adderall XR, but the crash was too intense and the "highs" and "lows" throughout the day were too much to deal with. I became REALLY OCD (but I had the energy, so why not organize my entire pantry alphabetically, right? Lol). I also think it slowly made me depressed. It was the kind of depressed that you sink in to over days and weeks so slowly that you don't realize it's happening until you're crying in the car for no reason.

The Concerta was calming and helped me focus, but I didn't have any motivation. I just wanted to sit and read, or do paperwork. It did make me feel more social, though. It didn't last very long either. I would be napping in the middle of the day, if I could.

I eventually got on Wellbutrin, which was wonderful for about seven months until I needed something more. My doctor added Vyvanse and it has been an adjustment but now I feel wonderful. I'm assuming this is close to "normal." I have energy to get stuff done, but I'm not so keyed up that I HAVE to get up and move. I also have the focus to accomplish tasks. My anxiety is even going away. Hopefully this lasts!
Old 11-11-11, 01:46 PM

KSA1979 is on a distinguished road

Concerta is a joke compared to Adderall. "or at least to me"
Old 11-29-11, 11:36 AM

nick947 is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Concerta vs Adderall xr

Long story short, Adderall XR is far superior, for me at least...smoother, feels much cleaner, the concerta made me feel hot, sick and shaky. The adderall makes me feel crisp, whereas the concerta was a weird energetic tiredness. The onset of action with the adderall is more gradual, you never really feel a peak, and I can't really tell when I'm coming down from the dose. The concerta hits quicker, but I definitely know exactly when it's done working...and that part sucks; it feels a lot like a big caffeine crash.

Very, very long version:

I originally thought my tiredness and lack of motivation was attributed to depression. It was hard to focus, especially read. Throughout elementary and high school i had trouble with the focus, but i was smart enough to get 80's and 90's. Once at university I noticed the lack of focus affecting me more. Although I felt somewhat down, I didn't feel depressed, but because I never had trouble with grades before, I didn't think I had ADD. I went to my campus health clinic with intent on getting wellbutrin. After doing a ton of research (I'm in life sci taking psych so these things interest me) I came to the conclusion that wellbutrin XL (extended release) was the anti-depressant that would best suit me. I knew that wellbutrin's action on norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake was what I needed, but again, I never considered conventional ADD meds as an option. The initial side-effects were rough, and right up until I stopped taking it I'd experience noticeable side-effects every day. At 150mg the wellbutrin helped with energy somewhat, and mood was elevated, but it really didn't feel ideal. At 300mg I pretty much felt like crap.

I took myself off wellbutrin for a month after being on it for 5 to see how I'd feel. After a few weeks I began to feel tired with no motivation. I tried concerta 54 and adderall xr 30 once on separate occasions in my break. Concerta felt a lot like the wellbutrin. I was hot, dizzy and a bit nauseous, but I did have focus. The adderall was a COMPLETELY different story. It was like a tired, focus-inhibiting fog was lifted. Mood was elevated, but it felt natural. It wasn't a nervous energy either, which I had experienced greatly with wellbutrin and somewhat with concerta. With concerta and wellbutrin i felt shaky, too, but this was not the case with adderall.

I filled my last script for wellbutrin after a month and followed through with it. As I was getting close to the end of my supply, I went back to my campus dr and told her my experience with going off the wellbutrin, and what adderall did for me. She had no problem switching me, saying 'if you're experiencing greater clinical benefits with less side-effects then I have no problem switching you' ..so now I'm on adderall xr 15 once a day for the first while. If I feel the dosing is too little, I've been instructed to go back and talk with her.

I've only been on it for a few days, and I already have more energy, focus and an 'up' mood...but not too 'up'. I switched from Wellbutrin to adderall in a day with no break, so there wasn't much of a waiting period to see the benefits as my norepinephrine and dopamine levels were already elevated. I'm thoroughly enjoying the lack of side-effects, too.
Old 10-19-12, 09:48 AM

swahilicharles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick947 View Post
Adderall XR is far superior, for me at least...smoother, feels much cleaner...The onset of action with the adderall is more gradual, you never really feel a peak, and I can't really tell when I'm coming down from the dose.
Adderall is more or less smooth for the few hours it works but I wouldn't exactly call the crash smooth IMO.

Quote:
The concerta hits quicker, but I definitely know exactly when it's done working...and that part sucks; it feels a lot like a big caffeine crash.
The adderall seemed for me to hit the fastest and leave the fastest. Concerta is a more gradual climb. But Adderall is very motivating as compared to Concerta, When I'm on concerta, I am calm and focused but the motivation of adderall is missing.

Quote:
At 300mg I pretty much felt like crap.
Good Lord..

IMO, Adderall is superior to concerta but concerta lasts longer, you have to decide whether or not you want extended calm and attentive, or bursts of motivation and calm scattered throughout your day.

“When health is absent, wisdom cannot reveal itself, art cannot manifest, strength cannot fight, wealth becomes useless, and intelligence cannot be applied.”
-Herophilius