ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 01-14-10, 03:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

atrain will become famous soon enough
Re: About to apply for disability :( I can't believe its come to this..

How you tried going to ca vocational rehabilitation program if there is on. Disability is only for people who really need it. I think add/adhd can keep jobs if they are interested in it and values their strengths moonshadow. You could try volunteering or taking career tests. I am sorry that this happended.
The Following User Says Thank You to atrain For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (11-18-11)
Old 01-14-10, 03:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

atrain will become famous soon enough

http://www.rehab.cahwnet.gov Moonshadow here is the website for ca vocational rehabilitation if you want to check it out.
Old 01-14-10, 04:55 PM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain View Post
How you tried going to ca vocational rehabilitation program if there is on. Disability is only for people who really need it. I think add/adhd can keep jobs if they are interested in it and values their strengths moonshadow. You could try volunteering or taking career tests. I am sorry that this happended.
If a person cannot keep a job due to ADHD then they should qualify under the current guidelines. The realities of todays job market & corporate environment are much different than a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-10, 05:01 PM

navyblue is on a distinguished road

Step 1:
Someone in this forum had given me a link to this site: http://www.strengthsfinder.com/113647/Homepage.aspx

I have taken pretty much all of the tests out there. And out of all of them I believe this one helped me the most.

A lot of times we get down on ourselves because we do not think we are any good at anything. This test will pull out what it is your good at.

Step 2:
Then try to join a group in something you find interesting. A lot of times a group is good because with ADD/ADHD finding the internal drive to do something can be tough. A little external drive from being in a group can go a long way. This group of people could even be your coworkers. So in that case try to find some coworkers in something that interests you. If nothing interests you, then read step 5, and maybe that will help. Use your strengths from step 1.

Step 3:
Join a forum in whatever it is your good at and share your knowledge. Feeling that you are needed can help with motivation. For example: you have some knowledge about dealing with ADD/ADHD because you have it. In other words, you have experience, and are needed in this forum. Do the same for whatever else it is that you have experience in. Focus on making yourself better so that you can help others make themselves better. In this industry the consumer becomes the teacher because they understand. Again use your strengths from step 1.

Step 4:
Watch this video:
It will help you to see where you fall in the ADHD spectrum in case your still not quite sure.

Step 5:
Read this quote titled: "Just Do Things"

"I've failed more times than I can remember. I've tried starting up several businesses, tried patenting inventions, tried starting up online communities, tried building several websites, tried to win contests… and failed almost every single time. But I never chalked any of them up as failures in my head, because I learned so much in the process each time.

And therein lies the best career advice I could possibly dispense: just DO things. Chase after the things that interest you and make you happy. Stop acting like you have a set path, because you don't. No one does. You shouldn't be trying to check off the boxes of life; they aren't real and they were created by other people, not you."

Conclusion:
There may be plenty of other ways for getting yourself back on track, but hopefully some of these steps will help you to get the process started. And consider disability as crutch for now to help you get through some tough times. There is a reason ADHD is listed as a disability. Right now you need to focus on getting yourself better and using disability to help you do so is not shameful. You have something (ADD/ADHD) that other people cannot see. Sometime it is even difficult for the person who has it to see that they have it.
>>
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to navyblue For This Useful Post:
ADXP (01-20-10), meridian (01-14-10), michinyuja (06-13-10), Missi (02-07-10), whorton (02-09-10)
Old 01-14-10, 07:52 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

FYI: Vocational rehabilitation services do not cover living expenses. How you survive while you are taking the tests and attending the courses is your problem.

Right now the challenge is not in keeping a job, instead its simply getting hired in the first place.

If you have no income and no means of support, then you need disability!

Quote:
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 01-14-10, 11:18 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

scarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
Whatever, I live in the Boston area now which is just as expensive as NY and make close to five times that amount and I can barely eat and have to choose many times between gas for the week or food for the week.
But as I said before when you get a little bit older your priorities will change and having a new car with payments won't be seen as an asset. I drive a nine year old car. I can't 'hang with the cool people' but would rather be cheap than broke and getting handouts from parents & the gov't.
You will learn soon enough. People your age still think this is the economy of 1997-2000 where your first job will pay $100,000 with the signing bonus and BMW.
Nick, I am trying to understand why you're upset with Trishcan. You're chastising her for getting handouts from parents and the government even though she has never applied for government assistance and also clearly stated that she did not have a co-signer on her car loan. The OP was concerned that $1200 a month would not be enough to live on and she was trying to explain that yes, you can live perfectly fine on $1200 a month (unless you're in expensive region like NYC or Cali). You act like she's some ditzy Barbie who's buying luxury items and maxing out her parents' credit cards. And I don't understand the comment about the $100,000 salary and BMW. She seems perfectly content with her $1200 a month which adds up to a whopping $14,400 a year. Are you confusing her with someone else or is this in reference to something that was said earlier? Your comments don't make any sense.

Old 01-28-10, 11:50 PM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice

Quote:
http://www.rehab.cahwnet.gov Moonshadow here is the website for ca vocational rehabilitation if you want to check it out.
You called me moonshadow! AHAHA
Old 02-17-10, 11:00 PM
Committee of One

Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

FYI: I quit my part-time janitorial job at the end of December. I am now receiving through the Washington state GAU-X program $339 cash monthly plus $200 food stamps. I am also eligible for (limited) medical coverage.

I have also applied for Social Security disability benefits (SSD)

I am more than happy to compare notes with anyone who is now on state disability or is contemplating going on it. There is no shame in doing whatever it takes to survive in the present economy.
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 02-20-10, 04:19 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to jump in here. but it looks like I may be coming off disability altogether within 6 months, this will be the proudest moment of my life.

Selena
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazygirl79 For This Useful Post:
litterbuggy (07-01-13), Tabbycat (04-11-12)
Old 02-20-10, 05:11 AM
Committee of One

Kudos to you! Everyone should know going on disability is not a one way ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygirl79 View Post
Sorry to jump in here. but it looks like I may be coming off disability altogether within 6 months, this will be the proudest moment of my life.

Selena
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 02-20-10, 07:01 AM

Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

Retro: I understand that there are some who need to be on disability, I've personally been on disability since I was 16 as I was dxd with more than ADHD which in turn made me ineligible for other payments. With this said I have worked part time and casual job in this time (my longest job was 3 years) I'm at a point in life where I feel I can get off disability and do a job I KNOW I would enjoy, one I can handle and make a decent wage at the same time. Anyway I'll talk about this in my own thread in a few months time.
Old 02-20-10, 08:17 AM
Contributor

michinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nicemichinyuja is just really nice
Cool Re: About to apply for disability :( I can't believe its come to this..

disability is a crock.

anything the government gives you is a crock, because you already PAY above and beyond the cost of your presence in this country.

you don't just pay for everything you take up and use, you pay ENOUGH EXTRA to pad the pockets of the guys at the top!

how do you think the king wears furs and jewels while the poor work from morning to night?
he taxes you on EVERYTHING!!

every time you work, every time you buy anything, every time you buy a house, every time you get married...the government is profiting!

fill out the forms, stand in line, put your name down wherever you can to get some of that money/aid BACK~

because it's rightfully yours!
The Following User Says Thank You to michinyuja For This Useful Post:
Squirrely Seth (06-20-11)
Old 02-20-10, 09:52 AM

I live in Australia and the disability system is slightly different to the US but it sucks sh*t in parts but ANY payment is better than none so stop whinging lol
Old 02-25-10, 06:38 PM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retromancer View Post
FYI: I quit my part-time janitorial job at the end of December. I am now receiving through the Washington state GAU-X program $339 cash monthly plus $200 food stamps. I am also eligible for (limited) medical coverage.

I have also applied for Social Security disability benefits (SSD)

I am more than happy to compare notes with anyone who is now on state disability or is contemplating going on it. There is no shame in doing whatever it takes to survive in the present economy.
Wish you luck on the SSD I bet you will get something from that. It is very helpful.
Old 02-25-10, 06:40 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyblue View Post
Step 1:
Someone in this forum had given me a link to this site: http://www.strengthsfinder.com/113647/Homepage.aspx

I have taken pretty much all of the tests out there. And out of all of them I believe this one helped me the most.

A lot of times we get down on ourselves because we do not think we are any good at anything. This test will pull out what it is your good at.

Step 2:
Then try to join a group in something you find interesting. A lot of times a group is good because with ADD/ADHD finding the internal drive to do something can be tough. A little external drive from being in a group can go a long way. This group of people could even be your coworkers. So in that case try to find some coworkers in something that interests you. If nothing interests you, then read step 5, and maybe that will help. Use your strengths from step 1.

Step 3:
Join a forum in whatever it is your good at and share your knowledge. Feeling that you are needed can help with motivation. For example: you have some knowledge about dealing with ADD/ADHD because you have it. In other words, you have experience, and are needed in this forum. Do the same for whatever else it is that you have experience in. Focus on making yourself better so that you can help others make themselves better. In this industry the consumer becomes the teacher because they understand. Again use your strengths from step 1.

Step 4:
Watch this video:
It will help you to see where you fall in the ADHD spectrum in case your still not quite sure.

Step 5:
Read this quote titled: "Just Do Things"

"I've failed more times than I can remember. I've tried starting up several businesses, tried patenting inventions, tried starting up online communities, tried building several websites, tried to win contests… and failed almost every single time. But I never chalked any of them up as failures in my head, because I learned so much in the process each time.

And therein lies the best career advice I could possibly dispense: just DO things. Chase after the things that interest you and make you happy. Stop acting like you have a set path, because you don't. No one does. You shouldn't be trying to check off the boxes of life; they aren't real and they were created by other people, not you."

Conclusion:
There may be plenty of other ways for getting yourself back on track, but hopefully some of these steps will help you to get the process started. And consider disability as crutch for now to help you get through some tough times. There is a reason ADHD is listed as a disability. Right now you need to focus on getting yourself better and using disability to help you do so is not shameful. You have something (ADD/ADHD) that other people cannot see. Sometime it is even difficult for the person who has it to see that they have it.
>>
I watched this video. It is very interesting. The guy is almost on top of it. I know what he is trying to say - I just would love the chance to tell him what it is !