ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 03-03-08, 08:54 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: About to apply for disability :( I can't believe its come to this..

Nick: That may be the case in the States but in Australia work history is irrelevant as far as employment agencies are concerned but since movingshadow doesn't live in Australia then he'll either have to apply for disability or find someone who can help him with the employment issues he is experiencing, he also mentioned that he had a long term job...shouldn't that make some kind of difference???

Zachary: Have you considered going back to college perhaps??

Selena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
Employment agencies WILL NOT help you unless you have a stable work history.

The job market now is really a tale of 2 extremes (at least in the NE & NYC area). Fields like finance, accounting, law, construction are booming and there aren't enough people But if you have that less than perfect work history, you cannot find a job. I get more calls from recruiters & companies than I can return, but I cannot get a job offer.
Old 03-03-08, 09:15 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Can I note here that in the States your living costs are not covered if you go to school? It doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. I have not been able to work full time and go to school myself. I would have a better chance of going to school if I went on disability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygirl79 View Post
Zachary: Have you considered going back to college perhaps??

Selena
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (12-18-13)
Old 03-03-08, 09:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,016 Times in 639 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

I try to keep up with poverty law, b/c i am interested in "Street Nursing".

The more someone's income shrinks, the greater their rates of hospitalization (surprise).

Housing (and poverty, etc) are health issues.

--

I read recently that the most successful disability applications are made by caregivers (e.g. social workers, housing workers, doctors, etc).

The second most successful applications are made by family members on behalf of applicants.

(Maybe it is b/c the person is 'more impaired' in cases where others must apply FOR THEM.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueensU_girl For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (03-03-08), Jewelz81 (09-27-11), magnolia_gal (03-04-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-08, 09:21 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how the tertiary schooling system works in the States but in Australia Centrelink (social security) does and can cover schooling....I'm assuming this doesn't happen in the States??.....maybe he could get a part time job that isn't stressful whilst he goes to school or he could just get a part time job to help cover his general living costs perhaps?

Selena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retromancer View Post
Can I note here that in the States your living costs are not covered if you go to school? It doesn't pay the rent or put food on the table. I have not been able to work full time and go to school myself. I would have a better chance of going to school if I went on disability.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazygirl79 For This Useful Post:
QueensU_girl (03-10-08)
Old 03-04-08, 12:10 AM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice

I don't believe it is impossible to get a job even if you have been fired. But they just want to see that you have been doing some kind of work. You can make up anything you want on your resume and it may just suffice. But yes living expenses are not covered if you go to school. I already have a student loan - I got on a payment program to try and pay it off but I couldn't keep up the payments.
Old 03-04-08, 10:05 AM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingshadow View Post
I don't believe it is impossible to get a job even if you have been fired. But they just want to see that you have been doing some kind of work. You can make up anything you want on your resume and it may just suffice. But yes living expenses are not covered if you go to school. I already have a student loan - I got on a payment program to try and pay it off but I couldn't keep up the payments.
Then why are you even considering filing for disability?? If you worked 4.5 years at your last job, then you can just say you were working on temp or consulting projects since that time. I don't understand why you are even considering this.

When I discussed this with a few people, they all said I would be 'laughed out of consideration'. Apparantely, not being able to find a job in ones field is not sufficient ground for filing for SSDI. But 5 interviews in 2 weeks and not one offer makes me very worried. I drove 200 miles to one interview in the suburbs of Philly PA and was about to receive the offer until I couldn't produce 3 supervisory references.

But you are right, employers don't look favorable upon any type of employment gap for any type of reason even if you were in school full time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickL30 For This Useful Post:
Jewelz81 (09-27-11), QueensU_girl (03-10-08)
Old 03-04-08, 10:08 AM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygirl79 View Post
I'm not sure how the tertiary schooling system works in the States but in Australia Centrelink (social security) does and can cover schooling....I'm assuming this doesn't happen in the States??.....maybe he could get a part time job that isn't stressful whilst he goes to school or he could just get a part time job to help cover his general living costs perhaps?

Selena
The only 'program' the pays for schooling are Federal & Private student loans which is borrowed money meaning you need to pay it back. The interest may or may not be subsidized by the gov't.

And getting a part time or temp job?? Well from my experience, the process is just as cumbersome as trying to get a full time job. With 5% unemployment in the USA, & 3.5% unemployment in the state of CT & on Long Island, employers assume that you have issues if you are unemployed and usually you are summarily rejected right off the bat.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickL30 For This Useful Post:
Jewelz81 (09-27-11)
Old 03-04-08, 10:24 AM

Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute

Oh boy! I don’t mean to be flip but it sounds tough where you are, I don’t think I would survive very long. I’m in the UK. I have never had a job more than a couple of years at a time. I have been on disability since 1990, and I don’t pay for meds or medical care.
Crazygirl79 (10-06-11)
Old 03-04-08, 02:39 PM
Forum Guru

cameron has a spectacular aura aboutcameron has a spectacular aura about

Nick is right MovingShadow....why go on disability!? you had a job for 4.5 years! "fluff up" the resume! the longest I have worked at one job is about 1.5 years, and even though things have been tough for me recently, I would never think about disability. Some of you guys should think about starting some type of business(that is what I'm doing now). The problem with this is that you have to have some money to do this.

Nick, you seem like a smart guy to me. Why not change career's? I'm about 7 years older than you. I did it when I was 35(38 now), you can do it as well. Get out of your current line of work, based on what I have read from you over the last year or so, I can tell this line of work is not the right fit for you. You will probably have to get something entry level, but so what! maybe you can get a few references, and parlay it to a better job.
The Following User Says Thank You to cameron For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (05-10-08)
Old 03-04-08, 10:13 PM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice

Because im scared. I need to have money coming in in case.
Its pre-cautionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron View Post
Nick is right MovingShadow....why go on disability!? you had a job for 4.5 years! "fluff up" the resume! the longest I have worked at one job is about 1.5 years, and even though things have been tough for me recently, I would never think about disability. Some of you guys should think about starting some type of business(that is what I'm doing now). The problem with this is that you have to have some money to do this.

Nick, you seem like a smart guy to me. Why not change career's? I'm about 7 years older than you. I did it when I was 35(38 now), you can do it as well. Get out of your current line of work, based on what I have read from you over the last year or so, I can tell this line of work is not the right fit for you. You will probably have to get something entry level, but so what! maybe you can get a few references, and parlay it to a better job.
Old 03-05-08, 02:05 AM
Forum Guru

Don't be scared, Moving Shadow! but, I know how it feels. You don't have a family to help you out? I have a well to do family, so I am lucky. If I need money, I can always ask. But I HATE doing it! I don't like seeing my fellow adders struggle! is there nothing else you can do? If anyone reading this is a multi-millonaire, give this guy some cash!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cameron For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (10-06-11), jordanbamabelle (11-18-11)
Old 03-05-08, 02:35 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO! Um, look where your appeal is posted. Talk about a marketing mismatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron View Post
Don't be scared, Moving Shadow! but, I know how it feels. You don't have a family to help you out? I have a well to do family, so I am lucky. If I need money, I can always ask. But I HATE doing it! I don't like seeing my fellow adders struggle! is there nothing else you can do? If anyone reading this is a multi-millonaire, give this guy some cash!
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (12-05-12)
Old 03-05-08, 08:43 AM

Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,909 Posts
Bluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond reputeBluerose has a reputation beyond repute

movingshadow,

I say got for disability and even if you get turned down apply again. Good luck.
Old 03-05-08, 07:16 PM
Forum Guru

Retromancer, can you tell I'm a bit of a hyper/impulsive ADDer!? take MOST things I say with a grain of salt!
The Following User Says Thank You to cameron For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (12-05-12)
Old 03-05-08, 08:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Attainathon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
The only 'program' the pays for schooling are Federal & Private student loans which is borrowed money meaning you need to pay it back. The interest may or may not be subsidized by the gov't.
Not exactly true if you are talking about the States.. There are workforce programs offered through state labor departments that offer tuition coverage for qualified training programs and it is not required to be repaid..
manismom (10-09-10)