ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 03-06-08, 09:42 PM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: About to apply for disability :( I can't believe its come to this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attainathon View Post
Not exactly true if you are talking about the States.. There are workforce programs offered through state labor departments that offer tuition coverage for qualified training programs and it is not required to be repaid..
You have to practically be a high school dropout to qualify for most of those training programs. And 'job training' / 'retraining' may be a good political soundbite but it does not lead to employment unless one has years & years of experience in whatever job he or she is applying for. If you think I am wrong, check out any job listing from entry level to managerial.

I say just do whatever you need to do on your resume & references (yes lying is necessary to whatever degree you need to do it to become reemployed) and then have your employer pay for whatever schooling you may want to do.
Old 03-10-08, 10:40 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Moving you may want to humm actually try for a secondary diagnosis not too many people get disability on ADD alone - the process of applying for disability here in the states is long a tedious process - it is harder with a mental disability than it is a physical one.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (12-05-12), Imnapl (05-10-08), QueensU_girl (03-10-08)
Old 03-10-08, 12:17 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

I was accepted to ODSP in 4 days just this past month. Psychiatrist advocacy is what got me on so fast. Mental disabilities are just as valid as physical ones on ODSP.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mincan For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (05-10-08), QueensU_girl (03-10-08), Saint Mike (03-05-09), soulangel200 (04-11-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-08, 08:55 PM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincan View Post
I was accepted to ODSP in 4 days just this past month. Psychiatrist advocacy is what got me on so fast. Mental disabilities are just as valid as physical ones on ODSP.
The OP doesn't have a chance in hell of getting approved for disability. It also looks like he or she is trying to take advantage or game the system. Not to mention that it can seriously damage your prospects for employment in the future. In the USA any period of not working for whatever reason is looked upon as a major negative.

Not being able to find a job because you haven't looked for one for 1.5 years and applying for disability on the premise that 'I need some money just in case' is hardly a valid reason.

And you have to show extensive proof that you cannot hold a job or cannot work because of a physical disability.
Old 03-10-08, 09:37 PM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The OP doesn't have a chance in hell of getting approved for disability. It also looks like he or she is trying to take advantage or game the system. Not to mention that it can seriously damage your prospects for employment in the future. In the USA any period of not working for whatever reason is looked upon as a major negative.

Not being able to find a job because you haven't looked for one for 1.5 years and applying for disability on the premise that 'I need some money just in case' is hardly a valid reason.

And you have to show extensive proof that you cannot hold a job or cannot work because of a physical disability.
Well I don't know what the OP feels, maybe they have major depression and cannot actually look for a job. No judgement here. There is nothing wrong with being on ODSP and looking for work. They want you to, it's to your advantage. When you work they only deduct 50% of your wages off your support income. If you get $1000 a month from ODSP, and you made $500 at a job in one month, they would only take $250 off your income support, plus they give you $100 bonus for working. So you'd make $1350 instead of $1000 that month.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mincan For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (10-06-11), Imnapl (05-10-08), QueensU_girl (03-10-08)
Old 03-11-08, 11:40 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

What a sane country! In this country (U.S.A.) we believe that you should penalize the poor and reward the rich...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincan View Post
Well I don't know what the OP feels, maybe they have major depression and cannot actually look for a job. No judgement here. There is nothing wrong with being on ODSP and looking for work. They want you to, it's to your advantage. When you work they only deduct 50% of your wages off your support income. If you get $1000 a month from ODSP, and you made $500 at a job in one month, they would only take $250 off your income support, plus they give you $100 bonus for working. So you'd make $1350 instead of $1000 that month.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
magnolia_gal (03-04-09)
Old 03-11-08, 03:36 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retromancer View Post
What a sane country! In this country (U.S.A.) we believe that you should penalize the poor and reward the rich...
Its not about 'penalizing the poor' just that in the USA they are afraid of people gaming the system. Also, there is this perception if you are unemployed especially if you are college educated & white and under 35. Automatically they assume something is wrong with you either you are socially inept or have some type of problem like ADHD.

The OP probably has a better work history than many here. 4.5 years in one company and being out of work for 1 year is hardly an argument to file for disability benefits.
Old 03-14-08, 05:11 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Currently we have responses from Canada, the UK and various parts in the US which is great - well rounded responses are very informative.

However it is worth noting that disability services are going to be different in different countries.

The member who posted the initial post is from California which is in the US -

IN the US it has been my experience that it is harder for some one to get on disability with a mental diagnosis as compared to a physical one this shouldn't be such a shock - physical disabilities are simply easier to prove than mental ones - I have never known any one to get disability here for a single uncomplicated diagnosis of ADD.

This may seem unreasonable to folks from other countries who opener ate under different systems but I am from the US and I see NickL30 has having a valid point. The money from these program comes from some where - some where like my earning.

Apparently it is easier to get on disability in other countries and yes many of us we have to pay for our health care cost - and other countries have national health care however when all things are compared I see the problems as simply differences kind of like a fair exchange . . . I am willing to bet the taxes in those other countries reflect the national health care and the ease of disability

From what I have read the wait time for mental health care in some areas of the UK has been a year. Canada doesn't seem as bad however finding a health care professional that believes in adult ADD according to post can be a challenge should your doctor not believe in adult ADD or if they do not want to prescribe stimulant medications it doesn't seem as simple as making an appointment with another doctor like we do here in the US. ..

This in no way is meant as a judgment toward any one I do not know the OP's situation and I do not pretend to. I am simply sharing my perspective from my own limited experiences nothing more.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (11-18-11), ragarm13 (09-30-09)
Old 05-10-08, 07:11 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

Zachary.

Why are you scared???

By the way hows the disability situation coming along??

Selena
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingshadow View Post
Because im scared. I need to have money coming in in case.
Its pre-cautionary
Old 05-10-08, 07:12 AM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Cameron...If I was a millionaire I sure would happily give this guys some obviously much needed cash!!

Selena
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron View Post
Don't be scared, Moving Shadow! but, I know how it feels. You don't have a family to help you out? I have a well to do family, so I am lucky. If I need money, I can always ask. But I HATE doing it! I don't like seeing my fellow adders struggle! is there nothing else you can do? If anyone reading this is a multi-millonaire, give this guy some cash!
Old 07-15-08, 11:56 PM

ResilientFighter can only hope to improve
Lightbulb Filing for disability because of ADHD

Has anyone here tried to file for disability because of your ADHD?
ADHD is validated under the ADA act as a disability...

interesting article:
http://www.adhdawareness.com/congres...ility-act.html
Old 07-16-08, 12:20 AM

Re: Filing for disability because of ADHD

man this question gets asked two million times a month... search feature... neways

Yes I have and I got it... am on it... but also for comorbidities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mincan For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (07-16-08)
Old 07-16-08, 05:50 AM
Forum Guru

reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all

got any threads specifically that you think address this question most fully? There are a lot but I'd love a link to one or two that are more thorough.
where do I start, where do I begin?
Old 07-16-08, 06:15 AM
Contributor

planetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps a sticky is in order for this subject. Mods!

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
The Following User Says Thank You to planetdave For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (07-20-08)
Old 07-16-08, 08:12 PM

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

A search for social security found these threads:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...ocial+security

Phaedrus

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
Grafter (07-16-08), reesah (07-16-08)