ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 12-06-09, 04:53 AM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice
Re: About to apply for disability :( I can't believe its come to this..

I got my back pay check today. I can't belive it. I didn't think I was getting it!
Old 12-06-09, 02:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome! Glad to hear it-just in time for the holidays, too.
Old 12-10-09, 11:36 PM
Contributor

ToadysFroggy will become famous soon enough

MovingShadow congrats on finally winning...I can relate! I got rejected twice and finally had a hearing last week and normally a decision is not rendered while you are there, my judge ruled in my favor. I will get back money going back, not to the last time I worked but one year minus five months from then so since I stopped working in January of '06, my back pay will start from June '05...

I hate when people look at me and think I don't look sick! I say to myself, "screw'em"!

Happy New Year and happy holidays!
Old 12-15-09, 11:09 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Had a benefits review at my local Department of Social and Human Services (DSHS). (I live in Washington State in the US.) I was approved for another year of General Assistance Unemployable (GAU). That means (limited) medical coverage and a tiny -- maximum $US339 -- monthly payment. I am also eligible for food assistance. I can earn up to $678 a month before being kicked off. (Remember in America we don't have a national health insurance system...)

I have applied for Social Security disability and am waiting for my claim to work its way through the system.

When the unemployment benefits -- and the optimism -- runs out you need a plan B...
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-20-09, 05:52 AM
Contributor

movingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nicemovingshadow is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Phoenix View Post
I'm a late-comer to this thread, so let me first just offer my congratulations on your quick approval. I've applied twice or three times now and the very fact that I'm honestly not sure how many times kinda speaks volumes about how organized MY life is. My best friend is even more disabled than I am...if he was any more disabled he'd have had to go to his Social Security interviews on a gurney...and he was denied multiple times. He was only approved when he got an attorney, leading me to conclude that may be my only hope. I'm sure I would probably be approved with legal representation - my past applications were before I even knew about the ADD.

But the truth of it is that I continue to resist the notion...even though I know I'm entitled to receive Disability, I feel like once I go on disability I'm effectively accepting that I'm never going to be able to obtain and hold a job. I'm 42 years young, and I've never really had a "career" doing anything exciting or interesting or geared to my talents. I just...I can't quite bring myself to give up on that dream. Even though a part of me realizes that it is just a dream, and I'd been unemployed for several years before the economy started circling the bowl. Part of it is also that I worry that my wife won't be happy until I have a "real job" where I actually go somewhere and have a chance at advancement. Social Security isn't known for giving promotions or bonuses! (Although the truth is that I've rarely experienced either...employers were more likely to reward me with permanent vacations ).

I know that it isn't like you can't go off disability once you're on it...its not some kind of permanent all-or-nothing status. But I still hesitate. I'm sure more than one of you can probably understand. And yet, I envy you having the courage and initiative to finally just go through with it.

Having said all that...I want to get back to your question. I face a very similar situation right now with all sorts of people I meet, and I'm not even trying to connect with anyone romantically (I think my wife would object!)
It seems that in our society "what do you do?" is one of the first four questions that comes up in conversations, as if the most important thing you can know about a person is how they earn their money. Many of the people that I've been friends with in my life were chronically employed in occupations well-beneath their abilities and intelligence, often due to disabilities, and this has certainly been true for me as well. What the people really want to know is "What are you?" "Who are you?" I've never defined myself by my job, and frankly kinda pity those who do...unless they are one of those rare people who earns a living following their heart.

So, after all that rambling my advice to you is simply this: if someone asks "what you do" tell them how you spend your time. What do I do?
I write, I read, I go on walks in the forest...etc, etc (insert your favorite
past-times) The fact that noone PAYS you to do them doesn't diminish their importance. Depending on who asks me, I've answered all sorts of things, including "free-lance writer" (noone says being published is a prerequisite!) "self-employed" or even (tongue in cheek) "house-wife".
Make sure to emphasize that "who you are" is not just "what you do".
And like Crazygirl says, the good ones won't be put off by that.
I am late on replying to this quote but. I really don't know what I do - anyway! If someone asks me what I do - even though I don't have a job. I still don't know what to say!
Old 12-20-09, 06:03 AM
Committee of One

Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm you could say "I could tell you -- but then I would have to kill you!" Always good for a laugh -- or a restraining order...

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingshadow View Post
I am late on replying to this quote but. I really don't know what I do - anyway! If someone asks me what I do - even though I don't have a job. I still don't know what to say!
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-20-09, 06:31 AM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,111 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can just be totally honest and tell them that you're unable to work at this point due to medical issue and you'll find that most DECENT women (ADD and Non ADD) generally accept that as a legitimate explanation and whose to say you don't meet a woman or whatever online etc whose actually in the same position?? In that case they will DEFINITELY be accepting and understanding of your position! It's when you lie, sugarcoat things and just be a ********* artist is what will get you into trouble and possibly lose you that friendship/relationship and it WONT be because you don't have a job but it will be because you've lead them down the garden path and told them a whole heap of *********. Before anyone thinks of shooting me down especially Retromancer and Movingshadow just remember I am a woman who has dated men who have worked and those who have recieved government benefits whether its disability, sickness benefits, workers comp or unemployment and the latter had legitimate reasons for being such payments so yeah honesty is the policy in MOST cases.
Old 12-20-09, 08:13 AM
Committee of One

Wouldn't think of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygirl79 View Post
Before anyone thinks of shooting me down especially Retromancer and Movingshadow...
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-20-09, 09:01 AM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,111 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

Retro: I sometimes get the impression that you and Zach aka movingshadow take the p*ss outta me when I post stuff on here which is why I made that remark. Now back on subject I made that last post because I'm fully aware that movingshadow is a sensitive person who has major self esteem issues and tendency to over analyze and take things personally (I know this from the past 1 on 1 conversations and from what I've read on here) and he is yet to understand that theres absolutely nothing wrong with recieving government assistance when it is truly needed (which I think he already knows anyway) and he certainly needs to understand that NOT EVERY WOMAN enters or exits a friendship or a relationship based on whether or not someone is employed and if ever came across a shallow b**ch who does that then shes an oxygen thief, a waste of space and definitely not worth his time or effort and he would deserve better than to come across that type of woman. Zach, I'm glad your road to claiming disability payments was relatively smooth and easy, I too had an easy run with getting disability payments here in Australia, so I guess you should consider yourself luckier than some of the others on here who have obviously had a more difficult time with their claims.
Old 12-21-09, 07:33 AM
Committee of One

I'm shocked, shocked that you think that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygirl79 View Post
Retro: I sometimes get the impression that you and Zach aka movingshadow take the p*ss outta me when I post stuff on here which is why I made that remark
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-24-09, 08:23 PM

navyblue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but I haven't been able to feel motivated about getting a job anywhere and I sent off for disability forms to fill out - they have arrived - it will take 3-4 mo to see if I am approved - but right now things are tight and I have to try.
I feel like I wrote this. I have been unemployed for a year and a half. My marriage has fallen apart because of it and we are now separated. So much for marriages not being based on money. Everyone (the parents, friends, myself, etc) is either frustrated and/or angry with me. So, I am getting ready to sign up for disability after being in denial about it. This year I've decided to spend Christmas alone rather than suffer through the dirty looks and listen to the crappy side comments. As Dr. Ari Tuckman (if you haven't listened to this guy, you should) says, my ADHD has brought along with it: depression, anxiety, and social anxiety. For me, the motivation just doesn't exist.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I know what your going through and that the situation itself can be even more damaging to our mental health. I wish you the best.
Old 12-30-09, 10:59 PM
Committee of One

I would encourage anyone that does qualify for disability to not precipitously return to work -- as I did. Get as much school and training in as you can. It will so much harder to go to school once you are back to work. Do not go to work at the first available entry level job -- as I did. Once you are on the treadmill you will regret it.

Screw the "work ethic"!
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 01-01-10, 10:53 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retromancer View Post
I would encourage anyone that does qualify for disability to not precipitously return to work -- as I did. Get as much school and training in as you can. It will so much harder to go to school once you are back to work. Do not go to work at the first available entry level job -- as I did. Once you are on the treadmill you will regret it.

Screw the "work ethic"!
I think your right on the money on this one.
Old 01-09-10, 02:38 PM
Jr Member

chilidog is on a distinguished road

I was told (probably untrue) by a person who worked at a voc rehab place once that you can't get disability for add. my question is, don't you have to be not able to work any kind of job at all period in order to get disability? i am not at all saying anything about your situation, like you could work. i'm trying to say, from the viewpoint of the people who approve disability, i would think that they'd think that you could work. im saying that b/c i have a friend who had a stroke and had to learn how to speak again and really should be able to get disability but she got denied b/c they said she could find some kind of suitbale work. like, she can't even read a computer screen or a book but she could lift stuff so she could find a job in something. it seemed really awful to me. i just wonder how that works.
Old 01-09-10, 08:46 PM
Committee of One

Let me break this down. There are several questions here in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
I was told (probably untrue) by a person who worked at a voc rehab place once that you can't get disability for add.
Since AD(H)D is a recognized disability you should in principle be able to receive disability solely for it. Anyone on this forum have had any success with this? You are probably more likely to receive disability if there is another disorder present -- a "co-morbidity".

Quote:
my question is, don't you have to be not able to work any kind of job at all period in order to get disability?
No that's not the case. First off the judge will consider if you can return to your previous employment field -- if you have a work history. Then the there is the question of whether you can keep your job for a sustained period of time.

Quote:
im saying that b/c i have a friend who had a stroke and had to learn how to speak again and really should be able to get disability but she got denied b/c they said she could find some kind of suitbale work. like, she can't even read a computer screen or a book but she could lift stuff so she could find a job in something. it seemed really awful to me. i just wonder how that works.
More detail is needed. Did she apply for Social Security disability? Did she appeal the decision? What was she doing before the stroke? What caused the stroke? Is there a good chance it will happen again?

In this economic climate it is in your interest to go the distance on disability claims. Luckily there are many lawyers who are willing to assist you who are willing to work on a contingency basis. (Which means you don't pay unless your claim is approved. Their fee comes out of your back payments.)
-- Oscar Wilde