ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-25-08, 09:34 PM

greglewis649 is on a distinguished road
When does Adderall start to work?

Hello,

Just started taking Adderall XR, 20 mg, on Saturday two days ago and was curious how long it took for it to really start working for you? I know it depends on the individual. I was taking Strattera up til this point. And I don't know if it makes a difference, but I took Adderall (non XR) for many years and stopped in 2003.

I had the heart racing and jittery feeling Saturday, but it has gotten much better since then.

Also, I tried searching through these forums for an answer (I am sure one is out there) but it wasn't easy to find. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-25-08, 10:26 PM

jesselynneand is on a distinguished road
Re: When does Adderall start to work?

Everyone's chemistry is different, but for me, the first three days felt scattered and "speedy." By day four on 20 mg, I felt accomplished. However, my problem was coffee and diet coke addiction. First of all, I always take my adderall on an empty stomach, and I keep it next to my toothbrush so as not to forget. I keep it there because that's the one thing I can think of that I least forget to do, and the sink is across from the, excuse me, toilet. Anyway, back to the point. I open both capsules, two 20s, with docs permission, and dump the contents on a spoon. I then throw it back and down it with a bottle of spring water. I do not allow myself caffiene for at least 30 minutes as it interferes with the adderall. doc did not tell me this until I complained. Also, the capsules were precluding the instant release from being instant. Some people produce a lot of stomach acid, others don't. Just a thought. Be careful not to chew, crush, etc. the little pellets inside the capsule. If you have trouble swallowing a lot of water fast, or you can't handle sour tasting meds, this may not be the best method for you. Good Luck. I tried three meds before adderall. If you don't notice a difference, your dosage may also be too light. I'm 5'2" and 124 pounds, not that weight is all that matters because there are many factors here to consider, but I take 40 mgs. My doc upped it after a month and that seems to be my theraputic dose for now.
Old 02-26-08, 09:55 AM
Contributor

edge of reason has a spectacular aura aboutedge of reason has a spectacular aura about
Re: When does Adderall start to work?

i'm at 20mg XR, and found it worked immediately...as in the first day. In fact, instead of wearing off after 12 hours, it took 20 hrs to subside.
Sponsored Links