ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-28-08, 03:17 AM
Jr Member

50yellAD will become famous soon enough
Muscle Relaxers and Adderall ?

Muscle tension is a common side effect of Adderall.

What are your experiences, opinions, and/or knowledge about using muscle relaxers to counter the muscle tension?

Could the combination work? Any suggestions of potential danger in the combination?

My doctor prescribes me both but it has never been discussed about using the muscle relaxers for this purpose.

Old 02-28-08, 12:18 PM

jmreagan is on a distinguished road
Re: Muscle Relaxers and Adderall ?

I am prescribed both but I wouldn't take them together. One would counter the effects of the other. I take flexeril an hour or so before I go to bed. I take the flexeril to control the muscle spasms in my back from an old injury. I don't take them everyday though, just when I have the spasms. Typically, it is never a good idea to mix an upper (adderall) and a downer (muscle relaxer) with each other especially at the same time. However, you should discuss this with your doctor and come to a decision.
Old 02-28-08, 05:48 PM

bccled is on a distinguished road

I use Skelaxin as needed for Fibromyalgia and TMJ, I most often take it at bedtime. I opted for Skelaxin because Flexeril tends to make groggy in the morning. Another benefit of the Skelaxin is that if I take it during the day I don't worry about driving etc. I've not heard of any adverse effects of taking either of these with Adderall.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-08, 06:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

zoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to allzoomman is a name known to all

I'd ask your doctor what he says, so if something goes wrong you can sue him so hard his the bank accounts of his great-grandchildren ring with the echoes of emptiness.

I've been on Adderall for about a month, when does the muscle tightness begin, or won't it if I keep working out and lifting weights?

Hmmm.
This savage love is undestructable!
---Gogol Bordello
Old 02-28-08, 10:05 PM

bccled is on a distinguished road

I think the muscle tension is only a potential side effect. I believe it depends on what your anxiety/stress level is or if you have any other muscle related conditions prior to adding Adderall into the mix. Exercise is a great stress reliever so, unless you are already tense, you may never have to deal with that side effect.

Last edited by bccled; 02-28-08 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 02-29-08, 09:21 AM
Contributor

edge of reason has a spectacular aura aboutedge of reason has a spectacular aura about

i get it a little bit in my upper arms and upper front side of my legs. It's not bad, and is only there briefly, so i don't worry about it too much.
Old 12-07-08, 10:09 PM

mschemist0822 is on a distinguished road

I'm prescribed both Adderall and muscle relaxers. I've always had muscle spasms/pain due to scoliosis, but since I started taking Adderall 5 years ago the pain is much worse. Recently I found out I have 3 disc herniations and pinched nerves in my spine. I'm convinced it's from crouching while studying on Adderall all these years.

From my experience, the best thing I can suggest is to take the lowest dose of adderall needed (especially for studying), and make sure you take frequent breaks to stretch and relax your muscles. It's best to avoid the muscle pain in the first place, believe me! If you already have pain and need the muscle relaxer, I think Skelaxin is the best one to take with Adderall. It doesn't make me drowsy, but sometimes it will lessen the effects of the Adderall. I never take them at the same time though, just in case. Usually I will take the Adderall first and try to control or avoid the muscle pain until I absolutely need a muscle relaxer!
Old 11-12-10, 07:33 PM

overmedicated is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Muscle Relaxers and Adderall ?

I'm new, but I had to weigh in. I am new to Adderall, but chronic back pain and I are ol' buddies. I experience muscle spasms and soreness in back, shoulders, neck, and arms. I also get twinges of pain in the chest and bladder area. If you are easily stressed (like me,) the muscle tightness can be almost unbearable.
I asked my doc if I could take my Flexeril while on adderall, and he said that is fine. I hate to disagree with a doc, but it seems like the two drugs in combination could do some damage to the heart. Try to take muscle relaxants sparingly while on Adderall.
Old 03-04-11, 12:56 AM

Stayfreshnfocus is on a distinguished road

Do yoga. Seriously, i've noticed a difference once I loosen my muscles a bit. You don't have to completely dedicate yourself to a program, but with a bit of research you may find a move that pertains directly to the muscle experiencing pain. Although I do have my prescriptions that I rely on, IPersonally am much more apt to find a natural method of help before taking medication. I'm not going to lie and say that this will completely solve your issue, but it is a very big help and it will definitely do the trick if you prefer not to take am upper and a downer together. These two ate fairly light, but over time our in excess there is a large risk of heart problems such as an irregular heartbeat or heart palpitations. If you still prefer to take a muscle relaxer to soothe the pain, I could not agree more with the previous comments; try to avoid taking them together and wait until bedtime to take the muscle relaxer. Another tip would be to try and work out a well balanced diet. Muscles sometimes become sore or tight much easier if your body does not have the appropriate amount of protein and carbs needed for activity and recovery. Remember, adderall is an amphetamine which gives your mind more energy, but your muscles still need food. (I'm sorry if there are any misspellings our grammar mistakes, this was written on my phone.) I hope this helps!
Old 03-04-11, 01:19 AM
Banned

Vraiment will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50yellAD View Post
Muscle tension is a common side effect of Adderall.

What are your experiences, opinions, and/or knowledge about using muscle relaxers to counter the muscle tension?

Could the combination work? Any suggestions of potential danger in the combination?

My doctor prescribes me both but it has never been discussed about using the muscle relaxers for this purpose.

benzos also treat depression. It can mess with your head. I wouldn't take them JUST for muscle tension...
Old 05-21-13, 02:33 PM

Kuahiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomman View Post
I'd ask your doctor what he says, so if something goes wrong you can sue him so hard his the bank accounts of his great-grandchildren ring with the echoes of emptiness.

I've been on Adderall for about a month, when does the muscle tightness begin, or won't it if I keep working out and lifting weights?

Hmmm.
That was such an ******* comment I took my time register to tell you that lol