ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-01-08, 03:19 PM

DavidGen will become famous soon enough
adderall and exercise...

I have been a bit down lately and the best medication for me during these times is exercise. If at anytime anything is bothering me, if I can get myself to run I am set.

The problem is I went for a run today... I think I made it about a quarter mile before I felt like i was going to die (figuratively). My lungs hurt, my body was just all around tired and achey. It also took 30 minutes to catch my breath and not feel like crap. This is the first time I have run since starting adderall. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-02-08, 01:03 AM

matius is on a distinguished road
Re: adderall and exercise...

No... how long has it been since you've run? Are you in really good shape?

I'm the same way as you when it comes to running. Recently, I've started to wait at least 4 hours after my last dose to run; but even in the days where I didn't have my 4 hour rule I would not have these problems, and in my opinion, I don't think it's the adderall...

Running causes aches and pains

Let us know if it continues though.
Old 03-02-08, 11:52 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

Never had this problem. As weird as it sounds I've been able to stop running as long as a month and jump right back to running 3-5 miles a day. It hurts like @#%@#% the first 3 days starting back but I just push myself till I basically go numb and by the 4th day it's clear sailing. I've never had that issue with breathing though which could understandably stop anyone from just 'pushing theirself'.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-08, 02:00 AM
Jr Member

walken is on a distinguished road

I have this problem when i exercise on adderall too. I think it's because adderall has an effect on your heart as I think all stimulants do. I read that the people who have died on adderall either had congenital abnormalities or did overstrenuous exercise (in very hot weather). So I don't think anyone's gonna die from going on the treadmill so I guess just go at a pace that doesn't feel like your hearts freaking out.
Old 03-03-08, 02:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all

I track my pulse on my exercise bike and it's about 20 beats a minute faster when I'm taking Adderall than when I'm not. It's clear that for me on Adderall it takes less exertion to reach my maximum recommended heart level.

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 03-09-08, 11:19 PM

klat0053 is on a distinguished road

i have the opposite effect... it seems like i can run for much longer when Adderall is in my system
Old 03-09-08, 11:59 PM

DavidGen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
I track my pulse on my exercise bike and it's about 20 beats a minute faster when I'm taking Adderall than when I'm not. It's clear that for me on Adderall it takes less exertion to reach my maximum recommended heart level.
so I guess it could be a good thing, I only need to do a light jog instead of a full out run to reach my target heart rate.
Old 03-10-08, 12:05 AM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGen View Post
so I guess it could be a good thing, I only need to do a light jog instead of a full out run to reach my target heart rate.
Yeah, I don't even have to break a sweat to get my cardio!

Old 03-10-08, 10:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

Momness is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been much of an excercise person, but need to start (I get out of breath walking up a couple of flights of stairs these days). I'm concerned about starting now wth the adderall because I'm afraid that exercise will increase the weight loss I'm already having on the adderall. I mean, the 5 pounds I've lost in the last couple of weeks is great, but I don't want to lose too much weight too quickly - I'm already pretty thin. Any ideas?
Old 03-10-08, 09:26 PM

Unless you're anorexic, exercise will probably help. You can build muscle and put on weight that way (I put on 5 pounds once when I started exercising). It may also stimulate your appetite. You may find you need less medication if you are exercising reguarly as well.

Take a look at Dr. Ratey's book Spark on exercise and the brain -- there's a whole chapter on ADD (he also covers depression, anxiety, hormonal changes, stress, and aging).

Old 03-10-08, 11:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

Momness is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, thanks. I'll check out the book, it sounds great.
Old 03-11-08, 12:49 AM
Contributor

adhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really nice

I don't know about your previous level of fitness, but perhaps the adderall energized you a bit and you pushed yourself too hard without realizing what you were doing. I wouldn't avoid working out, but I would start out slowly and build up slowly. Aside from not pushing yourself to the limit and having trouble breathing, you can also avoid injury this way. (I learned this the hard way, I had stress fractures in both of my legs from running. I kept running, despite the pain for 10 months which only exacerbated the problem. My sports medicine dr. at the time told me that if I so much as sped walked across the street till the fractures healed he was putting casts on both legs!)

Medications effect people in different ways and perhaps the adderall speeds up your heart rate so that even a small amount of exercise taxes your cardiovascular system. I would definitely discuss this with your doctor.

As for me, I exercise all day, every day (I'm a dogwalker) and I find the adderall does not effect my ability to speed walk (I walk at the pace most people jog) for hours on end.
Old 06-29-08, 07:47 AM

Nick682 is on a distinguished road

I am glad to have found this site, I am new and this is my first post. I asked my Doctor this very question and he said that I should avoid strenuous exercise while on the adderall. The only problem is that I am on it most of the time so it really interrupts my exercise routine. Before the adderall, I was an avid runner and athlete for the most part, I had a very active life. Since being on it, my activity has really dwindled. At first I was surfing allot and all I noticed was an increase in my heart rate, I also tired a little faster. When I tried running, I felt like I could run forever, but it felt unnatural, like the adderall was pushing me faster without any limits. I had the feeling, like the adderall turned off my normal pain meters and that I could run forever with it. As time has gone by though, I have noticed an decrease in overall energy and it seems like the adderall zaps my normal energy levels. I can run farther if I take it before a run, but my heart rate soars and it feels like I am pushing myself and my heart way to hard.

I can Identify with one of the posters when they said that it increases their heart rate at least 20 beats above normal when running. I have noticed the same thing. Overall, it makes my heart rate way to fast for my own comfort level. Another thing I have noticed is that it seems to turn of the normal indications that my body gives me for hunger and thirst etc. I have found that, if I don't monitor my water intake that I can become very dehydrated on the drug. Maybe the cramping is due to your dehydration? Also, the drug tends to make your muscles very tense, so that could be behind the cramping too. Basically I have noticed a major decline in my athletic ability since I have been on it.

When I don't take it, my runs feel very natural, and my heart rate stays at a normal level, I seem to have better endurance and energy. When I take the drug, it makes me tire much faster and I have less physical energy, even four hours after taking it. I don't think it's a good idea to have strenuous exercise while on the drug, and this is one of the major downsides for me. I agree with one of the posters who said that the drug affects everyone differently. However, I know that one thing that is not different for everyone is how it affects the heart rate. Adderall is a stimulant so it will raise the heart rate of anyone who takes it. It may have different neurological effects no doubt, but the physical effects are very much the same, especially when it comes to elevation in heart rate. All amphetamines will raise the heart rate of the person taking them.

It's a real bummer for me, because it just doesn't feel very good for me to run when I take them. I feel like the drug overrides the body's normal signals that tell you when enough is enough. But at the same time, I have definitely noticed a decrease in overall energy when running. Maybe thats because I always wait until the initial effects wear off before running. Another possibility is that before when I ran. I would monitor my diet to make sure I was eating correctly before I went. The drug seems to turn off the normal signal that my body gives me when I am hungry for carbs, or proteins etc, so maybe I am starving my body for the nutrition it needs before a run. I don't think that intense exercise is good when taking adderall because the drug already elevates blood pressure and heart rate. These are just my observations
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick682 For This Useful Post:
Jimini (03-12-11), mctex (10-06-08)
Old 03-12-11, 04:16 PM

Jimini is on a distinguished road

I just started taking Adderall and I also noticed that when I first worked out, after not working out for a month, I felt like I could go forever and I felt disconnected from my body. I did my normal routine, but after a month off I should have been struggling to get through it. My heart rate is about 5 BPM higher at rest and easily reached target rate without feeling the effort. I still think it will pay to work out and will watch it closely. I do forget to eat sometimes and force myself to eat breakfast. I plan on working out about 3 times a week, but I am very active around the house. I have acerage and do lots of physical activity outside. So between workout, this activity should be about right. I think the person that said blood pressure was probably more important that heartrate is correct, although a racing heart at rest is not good.