ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-01-08, 08:28 PM
Jr Member

bdavid is on a distinguished road
Adderall with Tums mistake

Hey all,

not sure if this is allowed to post on here, but wanted to talk about it. The abuse was accidental. And before everyone says it, the family doctor my insurance pays for doesn't know crap about ADD or the meds... so I am asking experienced ADD patients.

Here's my deal. Started on Adderall 20mg XR and found it took 3 of them to work for me. And then only for 4-5 hours with good effect. So I got switched to IR 30mg twice a day. I work long days often, 12+ hours, and am concerned about the adderall burning out before it needs to... but the doc says 60mg a day is the maximum dosage, which I can't argue with. I didn't think that is right, but oh well. So I hold off in the early morning, and drink coffee or an energy drink to get through the long drive. Then when it counts, take the 30mg as I am about to start working. I was concerned about 2 things, one was my 2 doses wearing off in 8 or less hours (since the XR didn't last me 8), and also I heard that the acid in an energy drink hitting your stomach would cause you to urinate away lots of precious adderall.

Heading towards the point - so I took 4 tums (what I usually take to get rid of acid reflux when I weighed more and got that) with the adderall. I'm pretty sure that was a really bad idea. And my research today has swayed me more towards that.

Strange things were happening. I started mixing in almost yawn-like deep breaths in with my normal breathing, and a few real yawns in there too. Didn't feel like I was out of breath, and wasn't breathing fast, but it was impulse. My heartrate was around 110-120 which I thought ok, since my job is physical, and I was on adderall. I had gurgling burps that didn't feel good. Later, took half the next dose (15mg), cause the breathing thing was pretty weird. Never felt like I was speeding at all, by the way, brain was just working good. I got this twisting feeling in my stomach, like the vomit spasms. I didn't eat lunch tho. I got this pain in my chest. Freaked me way out for a while. It hurt a little each time I took a deep gasp. My heart felt pretty normal, I wasn't sure if that's what heart pain felt like or if it was my lungs. Anyway, I think that was my stomach rebelling for some reason. Was super relieved that night when the pain moved up into my throat, and I thought I was getting a virus. Felt better this morning, just a little sore. Anyway like the idiot I am, I repeated the same routine today, except with only 2 tums to be safe! The gasping thing returned, and I'm still doing it occasionally as I write this 13 hours after the initial and 7 hours after the last dose.

Is my heart screwed up? Doc said my blood pressure was a little high, but think that may have to do with caffeine and cigarettes, (and since that's why, and nothing wrong with ME, I can ignore it - my way of thinking). Are my lungs junked up with tar and can't keep up with my new high performance adrenergic system? Is there something acting on my brain talking to my heart but forgetting to tell my lungs to breath? Like the calming effect stimulants can have acting on my breathing rate? Am I giving my stomach hell? Probably. Am I gonna blow a heart valve???? I don't think so, but I'm a scientist, and like to have this stuff figured out before I talk to a doctor. This forum is great. It beats the crap out of trial and error. Oh and I will go to the hospital if I start passing out or going numb I promise.
Old 03-01-08, 08:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of
Re: Adderall with Tums mistake

Quote:
I don't think so, but I'm a scientist ...
We're no doctors, and we don't see all variables .. hence: the error margins of any medical advice from a forum member, no matter how experienced an ADD-er s/he is, would be larger than the variance within the domain. A proposed mechanism for domain fluctuations: unforeseen parameter covariance, the initiation of a positive feedback loop which invalidates the input parameters of this meta-stabile system or the influence of hidden parameters.
If we combine this with the nature of the experiment* the only logical** conclusion can be that the question poses a logical paradox.

In other words .. you can only find it out by talking to a doctor

* for some parameter configurations the outcome could converge on project termination
** combined with *, also: ethical

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d

Old 03-01-08, 09:03 PM
Jr Member

that is cute. but this isn't an experiment, it's brainstorming. I am asking you to read about a stupid thing I did and I want you to tell me if you ever had similar experiences. Besides I need help because my doc doesn't know a damn thing about ADD or adderall.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-08, 09:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavid View Post
that is cute. but this isn't an experiment, it's brainstorming. I am asking you to read about a stupid thing I did and I want you to tell me if you ever had similar experiences. Besides I need help because my doc doesn't know a damn thing about ADD or adderall.
ok, I'm sorry .. but I really mean that it is just not a good idea to give medical advice. Imagine we say something, you're like "hey, good idea" - follow the advice and god knows what might happen .. the idea scares me tbh. It's even in the forum guidelines. If your doc does not know anything about ADD / meds .. find and talk to another. Your health is important.

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d

The Following User Says Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
Fuse (03-02-08)
Old 03-01-08, 10:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Attainathon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Might not be cute, and if it's only brainstorming thats its even less than an experiment.. But since you cited an actual experience that you went through then as suggested it would be best to contact a medical professional..

You say you need help, but not quite sure with what.. If you really feel your doctor doesn't know anything about ADD or the meds that you have been prescribed then I would suggest you find another practitioner that is better suited for your needs.. And if there is an immediate concern with the meds you are prescribed without the addition of other remedies then I would either stop the meds until you can get adequate advice or contact a pharmacist you are comfortable with ..
Imnapl (03-01-08), lunaslobo (03-01-08), Luthien (03-02-08)
Old 03-01-08, 11:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all

I have to agree, any advice on things like this are best asked a doctor. Any time you feel like things are not going right in your body and things are happening that dont really understand or worry you, only a doctor can tell you if what you are doing is good or bad. this forum can not nor will it ever advocate the misuse of any kind of drug, medicine, or perscription. we really want all of our members to be safe and to beable to keep coming back for a very vedry long time.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
Old 03-02-08, 04:47 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,561 Times in 5,759 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never done this before but I can't say I have taken four Tums with my Adderall, I have taken some calcium 30 minutes before I took my Adderall - I didn't do it for the effect I simply take calcium 600mg - I couldn't really tell where the calcium increased the effects of the Adderall that much -

If I have low sugar - don't eat properly then I have some thing similar to what you describe with feeling funny . Another thing that will make me react this way is anxiety. I do not actually feel anxious as an emotion but I will still feel the physical effects and the breathing like you need to take a deep breath and the chest thing are physical signs of anxiety FOR ME! I am not saying the same holds true for you - I am simply sharing an experiences I have - nothing more nothing less - I do hope it gives you some possible areas to explore with your health care professional.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 03-02-08, 12:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Desperate1 will become famous soon enough

I've taken my Prilosec right before or after adderall before. I had no idea this was bad. I never experienced any adverse effects but I'll reiterate that anytime you experience something that you feel is wrong with your body you should contact a medical professional. It may ease anxiety a bit to get reassurance from other adderall users but only our doctors can really tell us if something is or isn't wrong.
Old 03-02-08, 05:33 PM
Jr Member

thanks all I know we aren't doctors, but whats wrong with some healthy discussion? I have a check up with my doc in 3 weeks, meantime I have to talk so somebody.... turns out that chest pain was indeed the stomach. I feel no soreness after 2 days. I think either the adderall + tums on empty stomach, taking those really deep breaths so often, or a combination, caused it to get bent out of shape with me.

I was breathing normally when I woke up this morning. Didn't start the deep breathing thing till around noon at my second dose.

The ticker seems fine, no palpitations or anything weird. Interested to get my blood pressure checked while on the adderall.

I think I have the breathing thing figured out too. Realized it was in effect altitude sickness. Remembered I had the very same thing happen when first moved to 5000ft up in Montana from sea level. It's like your heart is trying to move sufficiently oxygenated blood, but your body doesn't know something is amiss - in the altitude case not enough oxygen in the air, in my case my heart is running faster due to adderall but there is not matching exercise to trigger and assist faster breathing to take in more oxygen. I noticed that I am breathing pretty shallow between deep yawns. Hoping my body will adjust, heart will get stronger, muscles develop better anaerobic ability, and breathing will return to normal. I'll post updates. Also going to go for a jog and see what my breathing does.
Old 03-02-08, 05:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Stimulants in high doses can cause tachypnea (rapid breathing). I've had that happen on Ritalin in low doses, even.

I guess don't take Adderall with antacids?

As others are saying, TTYD (Talk To Your Doctor).
Old 03-02-08, 09:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

canukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the rough

I'm still trying to find a reliable source/paper/report that tells me about antacids and stimulants. My 10 yo had a reaction to first dose of stimulants and I had given him an antacid for a stomach ache shortly after he took the meds (having no idea that would be a bad thing--it was not on a list of drug interactions and I mistakenly did not even consider that an antacid was like a drug..I took lots when I was pregnant!)

If anyone knows where to find actual info on this, like what antacids can do in combination with stimulants and in what amounts, I'd be grateful. Will not be at the docs again for a couple of weeks and we are still off all meds anyway.

So in response to the original question, I would advise not taking any tums with the meds! I think that would be a conservative reply, if not to say don't take the meds at all again until you see your doc again.
Old 03-02-08, 10:07 PM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

Quote:
thanks all I know we aren't doctors, but whats wrong with some healthy discussion?
good point, however, if we were discussing brands of embroidery floss, I think we'd all be quite at ease discussing the topic ad nauseam. I think someone else pointed out: forum member offers advice, unwitting forum participant puts advice into action and has negative outcome. The ramifications remain to be seen. Not good.

Asking a question like "is my heart screwed up"... just too far over that line of safe-to-give-advice topics.

I will say this much, your combination of caffeine; cigarettes; long work hours; and ignoring the high blood pressure.... you'd do yourself a load of good getting a physical, with a good long look at your lungs.

I don't know your age when posting this, but if you're up there... I wouldn't put it off.

Old 03-02-08, 10:18 PM
Contributor

watts will become famous soon enough

Antacids decrease acid in the stomach therefore the pH will be more alkaline and more medication will be available as it enters the small intestine where it (medication/AMP) is absorbed into the bloodstream.

Just as it is advised to avoid foods/beverages high in acidity when consuming stimulants such as adderall- since acidity will cause less med availability, the same theoretically applies to alkaline products- such as antacids or urinary alkalizers, since these can increase the amount of medication that is absorbed.

Obviously the best source to discuss this with is (hopefully) your prescribing physician. The best thing is to always let your doctor know the other meds- OTC or prescribed, that one is taking. For example, if patient X has acid issues and takes prilosec (?sp) regularly regardless if on adderall or not, it's probably not going to be a big issue to keep on taking it when on adderall.

PS. On the patient handouts for medication such as adderall this info is included.
Old 03-03-08, 07:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

canukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the roughcanukie is a jewel in the rough

thanks however, the handout for our meds did not say anything about antacids nor did the product monograph.
Old 03-04-08, 08:27 AM
Jr Member

DaveDave is on a distinguished road

This is semi off topic but I noticed in your post that your doctor said that 60mg a day is the maximum he can prescribe. I'm not sure if that's just his policy but you can definitely get prescribed more. I'm prescribed for 60mg three times a day so it is possible (mind you I'm switching up drugs soon because this dose doesn't do anything for me anymore accept make me cold and ill).