ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Non-ADD Partner Support
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Non-ADD Partner Support This is a support forum for non-ADD partners, spouses, and significant others offering feedback from both the ADD and non-ADD perspectives

Old 03-03-08, 03:52 PM
Jr Member

NoodleGirl will become famous soon enough
Question Ritalin making DH more hyper

My husband just started taking Ritalin on Friday. He said he can focus a little better but it is making him more physically restless and it's driving me CRAZY. He can't sit still and is constantly moving something...his leg, his hands, tapping his feet, etc. I could barely stand to sit next to him at the movies this weekend or out to lunch yesterday. I thought Ritalin would make him focus and calm him down but it's made him even more hyper than usual . I can't be around him if he's going to be like that all the time.
Old 03-03-08, 04:15 PM
Contributor

mrs A will become famous soon enough
Re: Ritalin making DH more hyper

I feel for you!! My advice would be to go back to the doctor and let him know what is going on.

Good Luck!
Old 03-06-08, 02:18 PM
Jr Member

Well he stopped taking the Ritalin. Partially because of the way it makes him feel and partially because he can't remember to take it. I'm not up to remind him in the morning or with him during the mid-afternoon to remind him then either. Even if he finds a med that works (he has a follow up appointment in a week), I'm afraid he won't take it consistently. I barely remember to take my meds for various conditions and I have an excellent memory! I can only "mother" him so much. I have a 16 year old daughter to take care of too.
Old 03-06-08, 07:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Honeybunnie8 will become famous soon enough

I find it helps to keep the meds somewhere I will see them in the morning. I keep mine right near my alarm clock. I read someone on this forum keep the meds in the fridge. It can take some time to get a routine down. I also keep some in my purse for when I forget. Although I forgot at home then I remembered at work, then I forgot, so no meds for me today.

I take Adderall XR because I could never remember to take my second dose during the day. If he is on Ritalin he could try Concerta, its basically extended release Ritalin.
Old 03-06-08, 07:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome, Noodlegirl. Just curious about what dosage and how often your husband was told to take regular release Ritalin.

Phaedrus

Old 03-08-08, 12:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

tom888 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
Welcome, Noodlegirl. Just curious about what dosage and how often your husband was told to take regular release Ritalin.
That is my exactly my question too, Adults and Rialin can be tricky. Correct me from wrong but I think kids need a higher dosage than adults. I know Adults taking 2,5 mg fighting to 1/4 the tablet. another option is dextroamphetamin which was a difference between day at night.... for me. Concerta freaked me out, like your husband now moving all the time, and I thought I did not have ADD and was going crazy :-)

hope that helps

tom
Old 03-10-08, 02:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 974 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleGirl View Post
My husband just started taking Ritalin on Friday. He said he can focus a little better but it is making him more physically restless and it's driving me CRAZY. He can't sit still and is constantly moving something...his leg, his hands, tapping his feet, etc. I could barely stand to sit next to him at the movies this weekend or out to lunch yesterday. I thought Ritalin would make him focus and calm him down but it's made him even more hyper than usual . I can't be around him if he's going to be like that all the time.
Watch him to see if he's scratching more. Or pulling hair, or what looks like tiny white bumps under the skin. Sometimes an underlying allergy to the med will cause the taker to have more hyper activity. What dosage did you say he's on?

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mary For This Useful Post:
tom888 (03-10-08)
Old 03-14-08, 05:09 PM
Jr Member

He has a follow up appointment today so we'll see what the dr. says. Last week he started taking MORE (3 instead of 1 pill) even though he said he didn't know if that was safe. It worked however. He calmed down, but focusing...not so much. He only did that for two days because I convinced him he should talk to the dr. first before just increasing his dosage himself.
Imnapl (03-14-08)
Old 03-15-08, 05:52 AM
Contributor

Fuse has a spectacular aura aboutFuse has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleGirl View Post
Basically: if he was taking a low/normal adult dose, then he may not have ADHD, as most people with ADHD respond to stimulants by calming down, being sluggish, etc. Whereas 'normal' people start to get 'speedy', with a bit of increased focus.

Alternatively, if he took more than he was recommended, then he probably took enough to get speedy, or close to it. At this level, it causes excessive talkativeness, restlessness, and can increase concentration somewhat (but too much and it overstimulates, which reduces concentration).

Anyway, either way is harmless but obviously it's important to differentiate between the two cases.

Old 03-19-08, 01:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

tom888 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
Basically: if he was taking a low/normal adult dose, then he may not have ADHD, as most people with ADHD respond to stimulants by calming down, being sluggish, etc. Whereas 'normal' people start to get 'speedy', with a bit of increased focus.

Alternatively, if he took more than he was recommended, then he probably took enough to get speedy, or close to it. At this level, it causes excessive talkativeness, restlessness, and can increase concentration somewhat (but too much and it overstimulates, which reduces concentration).

Anyway, either way is harmless but obviously it's important to differentiate between the two cases.
Hey Fuse,

Good post but always consider der very individual metabolism and it's effect. Until today I don't know why Concerta 18mg made me hyper and I thought I don't have ADD and normal Ritalil 5/10mg worked wonders. Same substance :-)
Old 03-19-08, 08:20 PM
Jr Member

His dr. said it was normal for him to have that reaction at first. If he weren't ADD he'd have had an even worse reaction. He upped the dosage. We'll see how that works!
Imnapl (03-20-08)
Old 04-12-08, 07:23 PM

tscsantafe is on a distinguished road

I have ADD and experienced the same adverse reaction. I now take Provigil. It doesn't wind me up -- but I'm not sure it does anything at all!!
Old 04-14-08, 08:24 PM
Jr Member

He got to the max. dosage of Ritalin and is now trying Adderall. High dosage of that too...we'll see what that does!
Old 04-16-08, 03:07 AM
Jr Member

ComparedToWho is on a distinguished road

I take 20mg of Ritalin 4x/day and have done so for almost 15 yrs. Biggest issue is remembering to take it, but linking it up with consistent events in my schedule, using external reminders (alarms, etc) are a huge help. Tell your husband not to give up, going through the process to find the most effective Rx is tough, but WELL worth it. Getting Dx and finding the right med was life changing for me.You'll know when the Rx works---probably more than he can tell. Best of luck to you both.

Female, 39, ADHD "Poster Adult" per my doc.
Old 04-22-08, 04:58 PM
Jr Member

Angry Re: Ritalin making DH more hyper

I hate the Adderall! It makes my DH a zombie. He seems unmotivated to do anything, sits and stares out the window, and has no emotion. Anyone else experience this with Adderall?