ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-06-08, 05:00 PM
alextai356 alextai356 is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 6 Posts
alextai356 is on a distinguished road
Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

I was diagnosed with SCT in 9th grade and have been living successfully with it since then (I'm now 23 and about to complete studies at Harvard Law). While I agree with many aspects of what people on this site have said about having it (low energy, spaceyness, etc.), I don't think low energy is a situation that is uncorrectable (even without meds). We shouldn't think about ourselves as "low energy" people, but rather as "selective energy" people.

The key is finding out what energizes you. After graduation, I'll be in finance on Wall Street, and the interactions/overall environment really give me a ton of energy. There's nothing that makes me feel more alive professionally than fighting out a deal at the negotiating table. I feel similarly when I play an intense game of basketball, when I start opining on something important to me (I tend to be very talkative when I'm interested), or spend time with my girlfriend. There just seems to be much more of a bounce in my step, and I feel myself get excited. When that happens, the "fogginess" seems to lift and I can think much more clearly. In those moments, instead of being an energy-taker, I become an energy-giver, and those around me feed off of my energy rather than the other way around. My life thus far has revolved around identifying situations/people/activities that give me that energy boost so that I live as fulfilling a life as possible.

Again, we all have to figure out what does it for each of us, but I don't think having SCT means we are confined to a low-energy existence. It just means that we have to be very attuned to our interests and preferences. Viewed in that light, SCT is really a liberator we physically cannot perform tasks that don't interest us, so it forces us to intensely pursue our interests and only our interests. I hope everyone else has the same luck that I've had in identifying and pursuing their personal sources of energy.
Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to alextai356 For This Useful Post:
ADDinHDefgHi?! (10-22-12), adhome01 (10-22-10), amberwillow (10-27-12), buddy (11-02-10), daylate$short (11-09-10), Elizabethp (05-22-11), HollyBowers (10-23-10), Jade Sea (06-10-11), KCTang (06-08-11), Komod0Dragon (11-02-10), LaMbaL (10-29-12), lilliangish (12-04-10), Luthien (03-06-08), PaperLily (06-06-11), PopSwatter (03-06-08), sadsadsally (01-10-13), Schroeder (06-13-09), Spacemaster (06-08-11), SquarePeg (10-10-12), stef (11-02-10), syrella (06-09-11), tired1823 (06-08-11)
  #2  
Old 03-06-08, 05:37 PM
merlin8015's Avatar
merlin8015 merlin8015 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
merlin8015 will become famous soon enough
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

Like the observation! Very well put.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-08, 06:59 PM
PopSwatter's Avatar
PopSwatter PopSwatter is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fayetteville, USA
Posts: 88
Thanks: 20
Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
PopSwatter will become famous soon enough
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

so happy for you!
__________________
STOP BEING CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE WANT; STAY FOCUSED ON WHAT YOU WANT!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 03-06-08, 07:18 PM
Luthien's Avatar
Luthien Luthien is offline
ADDvanced Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tol Galen
Posts: 1,079
Thanks: 398
Thanked 697 Times in 330 Posts
Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextai356 View Post
Again, we all have to figure out what does it for each of us, but I don't think having SCT means we are confined to a low-energy existence. It just means that we have to be very attuned to our interests and preferences. Viewed in that light, SCT is really a liberator we physically cannot perform tasks that don't interest us, so it forces us to intensely pursue our interests and only our interests. I hope everyone else has the same luck that I've had in identifying and pursuing their personal sources of energy.
that's really good to read. Thanks
__________________
then softly she began to sing / a theme of sleep and slumbering
wandering, woven with deeper spell / than songs wherewith in ancient dell
Melian did once the twilight fill / profound, and fathomless, and still.

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-10, 03:11 PM
JLSW JLSW is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
JLSW is on a distinguished road
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

What is SCT?

I have terrible low energy with inattentive-type ADHD, just trying meds again after 20 years off, because I can't get through the day without a nap and am really unproductive most of the time.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLSW For This Useful Post:
425runner (10-27-12), LaVieEnRose (11-07-10)
  #6  
Old 10-21-10, 03:30 AM
fracturedstory's Avatar
fracturedstory fracturedstory is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,373
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,490
Thanked 7,488 Times in 3,871 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

Sluggish Cognitive Tempo. I think it's a more severe form of Inattentive ADHD. Don't quote me on that though.

I'm not sure what gives me energy. When not on meds I have hyperactive moments where I have to get moving. Usually I exercise.

Reading, writing, thinking clearly and being social is really hard to do non-medicated so I'm not sure how I can embrace my inattentiveness.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-10, 03:46 AM
Mocodity's Avatar
Mocodity Mocodity is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 292
Thanks: 12
Thanked 223 Times in 114 Posts
Mocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really niceMocodity is just really nice
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

This is compelling. Ever since starting Adderall I've been trying to be very conscious of when it starts to wear off. Mostly what I notice is that alone, or in the wrong situations, I grind to a halt at the end of the day.

Properly stimulated, this keeps my energy up and I barely notice the drop off. So, for example, getting into a lively after-class discussion that devolves into friendly silliness, and personal anecdotes.

It's weird though because I've always been an introvert who was more drained by extended social interaction than energized by it.

Not that there's anything wrong with them, but I really hope I don't teeter over into extrovert land. I like the perks of being introverted.
__________________
I welcome criticism. I'm ignorant and inexperienced. I want to be corrected when I'm off the mark. This is growth.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-10, 11:09 PM
Abi's Avatar
Abi Abi is online now
Social Committee Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Underworld
Posts: 13,505
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 11,467
Thanked 13,991 Times in 7,026 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

This is drivel.

The OP is either misdiagnosed or lying.

Nothing about how he describes himself suggests SCT... quite the opposite. Especially since he hasn't claimed to be receiving any meds, therapy or accomodations for his conditon.
__________________
[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

When talking with [NTers] it's like exchanging floppy discs but with fellow neurodiverse its like using high speed wifi - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek


Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
bradd (10-26-12), LaVieEnRose (11-07-10), moka (11-06-10), musclecar1975 (06-09-11)
  #9  
Old 11-06-10, 07:43 AM
seektruth seektruth is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: bla bla
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
seektruth will become famous soon enough
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSW View Post
What is SCT?

I have terrible low energy with inattentive-type ADHD, just trying meds again after 20 years off, because I can't get through the day without a nap and am really unproductive most of the time.
Thyroid function check ?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-10, 07:28 PM
LaVieEnRose LaVieEnRose is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 1,661
Thanks: 3,919
Thanked 2,073 Times in 931 Posts
LaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant futureLaVieEnRose has a brilliant future
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

I've read fatigue is a symptom of ADHD-PI. That seems pretty vague. Certainly there are variances in levels of fatigue.. How much fatigue do you people experience?! JLSW's post really resonates with me, and my thyroid is a-ok.

In response to the op's post, I'm so glad you've found such success/energy/happiness! That's so great! But is that true about fatigue with ADHD-PI? If you find something that you're passionate about, that drives you, you won't experience the fatigue from this subtype?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-05-11, 11:22 PM
beetleboots beetleboots is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bunbury Western Australia
Posts: 25
Thanks: 97
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
beetleboots will become famous soon enough
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

My problem is I have to do the things that don't interest me as I'm a stay at home mum. My lack of focus, my disorganisation and my wandering mind along with the fact that I just am not interested in cleaning and washing means my house always looks like disorganised chaos!
__________________
Diagnosed with Atypical Clinical Depression at 15. Been on almost every antidepressant under the sun but am now happily using the amino acid 5-HTP with great results. Diagnosed with ADD Inattentive at 23.
______________________________________________

"My Veritable Plethora of thoughts are constantly vying for my attention"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-08-11, 10:53 AM
KCTang's Avatar
KCTang KCTang is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On the launch pad
Posts: 441
Blog Entries: 15
Thanks: 295
Thanked 756 Times in 273 Posts
KCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud of
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVieEnRose View Post
I've read fatigue is a symptom of ADHD-PI. That seems pretty vague. Certainly there are variances in levels of fatigue.. How much fatigue do you people experience?! JLSW's post really resonates with me, and my thyroid is a-ok.

In response to the op's post, I'm so glad you've found such success/energy/happiness! That's so great! But is that true about fatigue with ADHD-PI? If you find something that you're passionate about, that drives you, you won't experience the fatigue from this subtype?
I've always wondered how much of that fatigue is actually ADHD-PI and how much is just from being stuck in front of a computer/TV till 3 am at night, every night , unable to pull out and go to bed. Seems like a common problem for Inattentives, medicated or not.
__________________
KC Tang- Primarily Inattentive, learning to be Primarily Attentive. My Blog

"I wouldn't have had good scientific ideas if I had thought more normally."
--- Prof John Nash: Nobel Laureate in Economics, Schizophrenic, subject of "A Beautiful Mind"

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCTang For This Useful Post:
hanikamiya (10-28-12), Unmanagable (06-10-11)
  #13  
Old 06-08-11, 07:00 PM
Low_Key Low_Key is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Africa
Posts: 16
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Low_Key will become famous soon enough
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

I really wish I had as much motivation as the OP. Also about to finish law school but I don't think I'll practice after I'm done as law now bores me to death and I'm way too disorganised. At the moment I'm not any meds but each day is different for me. It's quite embarrassing to say this but sometimes I have 2 productive days in a whole week, on the other days I'm just sluggish and moving at a snail's pace.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Low_Key For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (06-10-11)
  #14  
Old 06-08-11, 08:46 PM
tired1823 tired1823 is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: US
Posts: 3,576
Thanks: 4,188
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,616 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextai356 View Post
I was diagnosed with SCT in 9th grade and have been living successfully with it since then (I'm now 23 and about to complete studies at Harvard Law). While I agree with many aspects of what people on this site have said about having it (low energy, spaceyness, etc.), I don't think low energy is a situation that is uncorrectable (even without meds). We shouldn't think about ourselves as "low energy" people, but rather as "selective energy" people.

The key is finding out what energizes you. After graduation, I'll be in finance on Wall Street, and the interactions/overall environment really give me a ton of energy. There's nothing that makes me feel more alive professionally than fighting out a deal at the negotiating table. I feel similarly when I play an intense game of basketball, when I start opining on something important to me (I tend to be very talkative when I'm interested), or spend time with my girlfriend. There just seems to be much more of a bounce in my step, and I feel myself get excited. When that happens, the "fogginess" seems to lift and I can think much more clearly. In those moments, instead of being an energy-taker, I become an energy-giver, and those around me feed off of my energy rather than the other way around. My life thus far has revolved around identifying situations/people/activities that give me that energy boost so that I live as fulfilling a life as possible.

Again, we all have to figure out what does it for each of us, but I don't think having SCT means we are confined to a low-energy existence. It just means that we have to be very attuned to our interests and preferences. Viewed in that light, SCT is really a liberator – we physically cannot perform tasks that don't interest us, so it forces us to intensely pursue our interests and only our interests. I hope everyone else has the same luck that I've had in identifying and pursuing their personal sources of energy.
Thank you for your post. You're an inspiration to say the least. Thanks so much for this amazing perspective.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-08-11, 09:35 PM
demfabbones's Avatar
demfabbones demfabbones is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 403
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 367
Thanked 494 Times in 214 Posts
demfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to alldemfabbones is a name known to all
Re: Inattentive ADD and "low energy" don't despair

I wish I could say I'm as successful as the OP, but I do understand where he's coming from with the energy insights. When I'm hyperfocused on an activity I really enjoy, I can do it for hours without ever feeling tired. Ask me to do my taxes, however, and I want to take a nap. I have not yet found the key to only structuring my life around activities I enjoy, however. I loathe paperwork, chores, and laundry...would love to find a way to eliminate those from my life, but haven't figured it out yet
__________________
You are the master of every situation. Except the universe, that's for He-Man.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to demfabbones For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (06-10-11)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2014 ADD Forums