ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-07-08, 08:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

Momness is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Adderall and zoloft at same time - less effective?

Does anyone on this forum take zoloft and adderall? If so, I was wondering if you notice a change in the effectiveness of the meds if they are taken at the same time in the morning? The other day when I took my zoloft and adderall together I was a bit more angry/down (usually from lack of zoloft) that night. This could have been many things - PMS, bad day, etc. - but I want to rule out the timing of my medications first.

Since then I have tried to take the adderall in the AM and the zoloft at lunch, but since this is a deviation from my normal schedule I often forget to take my zoloft (bad news).

Anyone who has had similar - or non-similar - experiences on both meds please let me know. Thx.
Old 03-07-08, 10:44 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall and zoloft at same time - less effective?

I have a friend who takes them both. He is kind of distanced from me though ever since.... but last I talked to him he told me he felt his adderall wasn't working as well when he started taking zoloft but apparently the adderall gives him such bad 'anxiety' that he has to take it so I really don't know.
Old 03-07-08, 12:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Zoloft has definitely lessened the impact of Ritalin and Dexedrine with me. It's making me far too lethargic so I'm starting to wean myself off it to half my current dose of 50mg a day, I take 25mg 2x a day (for Social Anxiety and OCD, which it works great for but the side effects of no motivation and wanting to sleep all day but not being able to is terrible!). Every other day now I'm just taking 1 25mg. Next week I'll just go with the 25mg 1x a day, see if it makes my lethargy any better, otherwise I'm going to ask my p doc to start back up on Wellbutrin, it always gives me some motivation and energy, unlike Dex and Zoloft.

I used to take them at lunch and supper. Now I'm going to take the one at supper, when I still take the 2nd I make it about 4 hours after supper.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-08, 12:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Interesting topic. I've been doing research lately and many meds actually inhibit the metabolic pathway that amphetamines use.

Zoloft and Prozac are big on the list.

http://www.corepsychblog.com/2006/11...ri_a.html#more

J
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1973 For This Useful Post:
kwalk (09-13-08)
Old 03-07-08, 12:37 PM
Forum Guru

MJwatson has a spectacular aura aboutMJwatson has a spectacular aura about

If your zoloft is making you all sleepy, try taking it at night.....thats what I do!!

hope this helps!
Old 03-07-08, 04:55 PM

burman is on a distinguished road

Zoloft stimulates me. I take 100mg in the morning. I suffer from anxiety and Zoloft has been very effective in controlling it. I've been on Zoloft for 3 months now. Initially, I had side effects of insomnia and clenching jaw. They went away after 2 months. So far, I've lost weight and have no sexual side effects. Sex has actually improved believe it or not.

Prior to Zoloft, I was on Celexa for 2 years also with no side effects. The only side effect I had, when I started it, was that it wired me out. It was also effective. I tried the new Lexapro and found it too stimulating and I couldn't handle the sexual sides. I gave it 9 weeks to level out in my system, but the sides didn't go awy.

I started to take 30 mg of Vyvanse about 1 month ago. Currently, I'm up to 50mg. I take it along with my Zoloft in the morning. My anxiety is still under control. I haven't had any problems taking them at the same time.

I do prefer Vyvanse over Adderall. I'm still in the process of adjusting my dose. I might need to request an increase to 60mg at my next pdoc appointment.
Old 03-07-08, 05:18 PM
Forum Guru

sloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of light

I also take Zoloft and Adderall - together in the morning. I've been doing this for years and have never noticed any problems.

Sue
Old 03-07-08, 07:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post
Interesting topic. I've been doing research lately and many meds actually inhibit the metabolic pathway that amphetamines use.

J

Ummmmm, I read this and now I'm kind of freaked out. I have been taking zoloft for 8-9 years and it really works well for me. I just started taking adderall a couple of weeks ago, but it has so drastically changed my life that I don't want to stop taking it either. . . .now what? I guess I will continue to do research and see what I can find (along with talking to my doc of course)
Old 03-07-08, 07:32 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

Quote:

J
I wonder how much of a problem inhibiting the metabolic pathway of amphetamine really is? Isn't a high percentage of amphetamine excreted unchanged anyway? Would such perhaps cause a higher percentage of it to be unchanged, while increasing the half-life, but not to the same degree as other drugs metabolized in the same manner (without the degree of direct elimination of the drug in this case though)?

As far as the original topic, I would think that the Zoloft (or any other mostly-serotonin reuptake inhibitor) could decrease the effects of the Adderall to a certain degree. There are combinations though that are far more contradictory in effects (such as stimulants and most antipsychotics)
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 03-08-08, 12:27 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

It's a big problem IMHO. I haven't completed either of my degrees yet so I'm no professional; however, to inhibit the metabolic pathway of any substance one might be taking is incredibly harmful to one's system IMO. A build-up of any substance no matter what neurotransmitter it potientially affects could be deadly, especially if at the wrong time this build-up was set into motion. I've yet to come across such a bold statement in an article about the metabolic pathways relating from Selective Serotoning Reuptake Inhibitors and the one's used in ADHD medication (pertaining mostly to amphetamines) ever. I'll look into it and if I find anything out of the norm, post it, but I'm fairly certain it's one of those fields which still requires alot of research before an absolute opinion on something could be formed.
Old 03-09-08, 01:09 AM
Contributor

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road

I take Lexapro and Adderall with no problems.
Old 03-09-08, 12:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Question Re: Adderall and zoloft at same time - less effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
I take Lexapro and Adderall with no problems.
Do you physically take them at the same time? (with the same glass of water)

I kind of want to know if anyone's found that it makes a difference to stagger the medications - adderall in the AM (of course) and zoloft at night?
Old 03-09-08, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

I halved my Zoloft recently (been a little under the weather in the mornings now) I used to take it at lunch and supper (25mg each time). Now I just take one 25mg at supper. This has increased the efficientcy of dex about 50+%.

Zoloft not good with amphetamines...seem to work against each other.
Old 03-10-08, 09:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks Mincan. The last two days I've made it a point to take my zoloft at night with my vitamins/supplements - It seems to have helped the issues I was experiencing earlier. I guess it's just going to be new way to deal with my meds. Since I'm still fairly new to Adderall I'll continue to see how it works with the zoloft over the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-10-08, 09:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

Thumbs up Re: Adderall and zoloft at same time - less effective?

Quote:

J
BTW - Thanks again for the info JR - I'm printing it out to take to doc tomorrow at my weekly adderall doseage checkupto discuss with her (this is my third doseage check - 1st after introducing adderall at 10mg IR 1X/day, 2nd after a week at 10mg IR 2X/day, and now this week at 20mg XR AM and 10mg IR in afternoon)