ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Focalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate)

Old 03-17-08, 03:04 PM
Jr Member

dreyerd is on a distinguished road
3 yr old grandson on Focalin XR

My soon to be 3 yr old grandson has been on Focalin XR for a week now. He has been kicked out of 4 daycares and has been diagnosied ADHD hyperactive. We have noticed that he just seems more fragile, easily upset, he itches. Just gets ticked off real easy. Is this normal for the medication or what? Have a followup visit in a week.
Old 03-18-08, 04:50 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about
Re: 3 yr old grandson on Focalin XR

I remember a few posts about tenex being helpful for hyperactivity. Focalin is an FDA approved for treatment of ADHD. Stimulants like Focalin start working very quickly sometimes from the first dose. However it may take a few weeks before you see how a specific dose levels out and works over a longer period.

BobC
Old 03-18-08, 05:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

merlin8015 will become famous soon enough

My doctor said they don't treat until 5 years of age with medication. My daughter is not diagnosed as of yet but there is no doubt. We use a product called "Melissa" we got from a health food store. Basically its lemon balm, it doesn't have the same effect as medication but it takes the "edge" off of her hyperacivity. It works well for our sanity.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-08, 08:54 AM
Jr Member

Thumbs up Re: 3 yr old grandson on Focalin XR

We were able to get him diagnosed since he had been removed from 4 daycares. The teachers talked with the physiologist, and his Dr (Texas Children’s) said he could be treated with a few medications that are out now. He does seem more calm, but not sure about some of the new issues that have come up. He has started hurting himself, head banging and pulling his hair. I have read where some of the issues calm down after a few weeks, and since he has only been on the med since the 10th will wait to talk with his Dr. Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-09-08, 04:17 PM

insanet will become famous soon enough

sounds like hes having adverse reactions. you do realize this is speed be careful. if i were you i would find an alternative treatment one that isnt speed. the pharma giants have lied to us add people before they will again there not to be trusted. people have died from what the once thought was a wonder drug adderal XR.
Old 04-09-08, 10:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

Amphetamines and Stimulants for a 3 year old is a bad idea in my opinion.

There hasn't been proper studies done with kids that young so the long term effects aren't known.

If he's started hurting himself since he started the Focalin I'd recommend taking him off it immediately and taking him to his doctor.

His brain is FAR from being fully formed and I believe that stimulants might alter his development.

Have you tried any non-medication treatments yet?
Old 04-10-08, 03:29 AM

insanet will become famous soon enough

make sure hes getting enough exercise and going to sleep on time you want him to be getting healthy levels of choline chicken, eggs, etc none of that vegan crap(jk if your raising him vegan make sure to find from your doctor an appropriate choline source)
Old 04-15-08, 04:23 PM
Jr Member

Smile Re: 3 yr old grandson on Focalin XR

we took him off of the Focalin XR, the Dr has put in on the Daytrana patch (10 mg). The 10 mg was just way to much, so I cut it in half and it has been working great. He has been in daycare now for 7 days with no issues. He still has a hard time sleeping. But he is not hurting hisself anymore. Thanks for all the help
Old 04-15-08, 06:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 974 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyerd View Post
My soon to be 3 yr old grandson has been on Focalin XR for a week now. He has been kicked out of 4 daycares and has been diagnosied ADHD hyperactive. We have noticed that he just seems more fragile, easily upset, he itches. Just gets ticked off real easy. Is this normal for the medication or what? Have a followup visit in a week.
Look for rash or white spots under skin. He may have an allergy to it. My oldest was put on ritalin and had the same emotional upsets and itching that you describe. We found out she was allergic. Has he tried pulling out his hair?

Now I see your last post.... I'm glad he has shown improvement on the new med. I am leaving the other statement so other parents can know what to watch for.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 04-16-08, 11:09 AM
Jr Member

He was trying to pull his hair out and had a rash on the Focalin, the Dr said the rash was OK, but when he started to pull his hair his grandfather and I said that was it.
Old 04-16-08, 11:18 AM

Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
He was trying to pull his hair out and had a rash on the Focalin, the Dr said the rash was OK, but when he started to pull his hair his grandfather and I said that was it.
Doctor is nuts.. in my opinion. A rash is NOT ok... because it can spread and can also shut down airways if it gets serious. The hair pulling is because the itch is so deep down they're trying to literally pull it out of their skin.

I would ask the pharmacist if it's ok to give benedryl in case he starts getting rash on the new med. It's something I keep on hand at all times anyways.

Actually ... all parents should, unless they child is proven allergic to it, because you never know when a bee will sting, or anything else that could send them into anaphelactic (sp?) shock.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 04-16-08, 01:59 PM
Jr Member

Cool Re: 3 yr old grandson on Focalin XR

Oh, he got benedryl the minute I saw the rash, a full teaspoon every 4 hrs as long as he was itching. I did not ask the DR, I told him. I will ask alot of questions till I am sure I fully understand what is going on. But I will not hestitate to let the Dr know if I think what he is giving him is not right. Dustin is such a good little fellow, and someone has to watch out for him, since his parents don't care.

Again, thank you for all the information and I am sure that I will be back with more questions. This is a learning experenice again for both my husband and myself.

Debbie
Old 04-16-08, 02:35 PM

Awesome... I'm so glad to see you're staying on top of things. You're most welcome. That's why we're all here. Good luck and I look forward to reading more from you.

Old 04-16-08, 08:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Oh, he got benedryl the minute I saw the rash, a full teaspoon every 4 hrs as long as he was itching. I did not ask the DR, I told him. I will ask alot of questions till I am sure I fully understand what is going on. But I will not hestitate to let the Dr know if I think what he is giving him is not right. Dustin is such a good little fellow, and someone has to watch out for him, since his parents don't care.

Again, thank you for all the information and I am sure that I will be back with more questions. This is a learning experenice again for both my husband and myself.

Debbie

He's lucky to have you. I'm glad you're looking out for him
Old 04-18-08, 04:43 AM

EricWKL will become famous soon enough

That really really worries me to see you put your kid on mind altering drugs at such a young age. They are kids, not everything is firing correctly and if you don't let their brain naturally figure it out naturally in time then they will have missed that stage of brain development. My sister use to be the child from hell. From age 1-8 she was a crazy CRAZY person, but like most kids, she came around. In high school she got 3.9 and a perfect SAT score (1600 at the time). She was never tested for ADD or treated with meds, it was all natural. I know you aren't trying to take the easy way out of being a parent, but c'mon...age 3? Id personally wait till high school. Good luck tho, I'm sure you know whats best for your kid, so I have confidence in you.

ADHD/Lysdexia ()
Been prescribed since the age of 9.
DOB: 12/31/85

Eric

PS: If life gives you lemons, throw them at people.