ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-28-08, 01:46 AM

JAlan is on a distinguished road
Adderall and Benadryl... Help please

Hey board,

Quick question. I am taking about 50 mg of adderall per day and I took my last dose at 9 p.m, late I know, but I had a load of work to do and thought it would be an "okay" idea.

I hate the effects of insomnia brought on by adderall and was wondering if it would be safe and okay to take a Benadryl allergy in about 15 minutes ( 2 a.m ) to help wooze off the effects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J,
Old 03-28-08, 02:01 AM

OSUbeaver is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and Benadryl... Help please

hey JAlan
taking benadryl is safe and it works. i'm on 60mg adderall XR, and on days where i take my second dose a little late i take benadryl to help me sleep. i take two (50mg) benadryl and in an hour you'll be off to ni-nite land... anything else ya need?
Old 03-28-08, 02:22 AM

JAlan is on a distinguished road

Thanks Beaver!

I'm quite the hypochondriac and am always worrying!!!

Gettin' ready for some zzz's now!!!

G'night
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-08, 12:04 PM

BL1313 is on a distinguished road

Sadly, the Benadryl seems to negate the efficacy of the Adderall for me, so I went back to melatonin to help get to sleep.
Old 03-30-08, 09:44 AM
Contributor

edge of reason has a spectacular aura aboutedge of reason has a spectacular aura about

i take the benadryl 50mg at 8pm every night and am usually asleep by 10pm. Works like a dream for me, and is perfectly safe. It's not supposed to work with the Adderall, but for me it's the only thing that does.
Old 03-30-08, 12:36 PM
Contributor

stealthology is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind benadyl causes many of us to feel nice and groggy in the morning. Consider taking a very small dose of melatonin for the occasional restless night trying to fall asleep. It works great; I only use it maybe once every 1-2 weeks and I'm fast asleep within 30-40 mins.
Old 03-30-08, 09:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to behold
Moderator note

It's good to see people posting their personal experiences with medication combinations.
Please note that it is important to discuss this with your Doctor and/or your pharmacist.

Also note that off-label medication use is not supported nor encouraged by the ADD Forums.

Please ensure you have read the forum guidelines.
Alternatively you can discover the meaning of life.

Last edited by mijahe; 03-31-08 at 12:07 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mijahe For This Useful Post:
lars (03-31-08), ozchris (03-31-08)
Old 03-30-08, 10:56 PM

chickpea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAlan View Post
Hey board,

Quick question. I am taking about 50 mg of adderall per day and I took my last dose at 9 p.m, late I know, but I had a load of work to do and thought it would be an "okay" idea.

I hate the effects of insomnia brought on by adderall and was wondering if it would be safe and okay to take a Benadryl allergy in about 15 minutes ( 2 a.m ) to help wooze off the effects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J,
I took CVS brand benodryl and ended up in the ER. They said i had a reaction w/ the filler which is different from brand name. I won't take it again, but if you do, take the real deal and you shoud be ok.
Old 03-31-08, 11:26 PM

OSUbeaver is on a distinguished road

chickpea,
if you don't mind me asking what was the feeler? And what did it do to cause you a trip to the ER?
Old 04-01-08, 02:08 AM

ImAwhiner is on a distinguished road

When I took Benadryl it made me stay up all night. I was really upset.
Old 04-04-08, 11:51 AM
Jr Member

neuroticme is on a distinguished road

I recently discovered that Valerian Root is another alternative to other sleep meds. I take it every once in a while. It doesn't put me to sleep, but it greatly relaxes me. I didn't realize that it was so good at relaxing until one evening I had heated argument with my husband. Being close to bedtime I went ahead and took some of the valerian root and stubbornly laid on the couch trying to read. I would say, less than 20 minutes later, I noticed that I wasn't angry anymore. It didn't get me high (which is a good thing) or anything like that, it just took the all of the negative emotions away.

You could also check out the "Thirteen Ways to Get to Sleep" thread (Go to co-existing conditions and click on "sleeping"). I love warm milk, vanilla extract, and sugar mixture. Its like my little nighttime treat.
Old 04-04-08, 11:55 AM
Jr Member

neuroticme is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - Valerian root smells like, well, BAD. And it makes your dreams vivid.
Old 10-15-09, 08:49 PM

damnmad is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Adderall and Benadryl... Help please

I know this is an old post but there ARE people out there searching for this information and this bulleting is a great source (and shows up organically on Google), so I thought I'd share my experience with Benadryl while taking Adderall.

I take between 40-60mg of I.R amphetamine salts (Adderrall) a day, for attention deficit disorder. I too am a raging insomniac with or without the Adderall in my system. I have tried every benzodiazapine out there. Klonopin, Xanax, Ativan, Temazepam, you name it. They don't work for very well or for very long. Benadryl also does not help me, but it is safe to take. I would suggest 50-75mg.

I recently stumbled upon a drug that seems to work in a symbiotic manner with Adderrall and is REALLY effective at making you fall asleep. Craziest thing: It's NON NARCOTIC AND NON-ADDICTIVE. It's an antihistamine, just like Benadryl, but much, much, stronger and effective. It's called Hydroxyzine PAM. They use it in a clinical environment to sedate patients, pre-op.

So yes, Benadryl is helpful and safe for some but for those needing something stronger but safe, ask your doc about Hydroxyzine. They will gladly prescribe is as there are no contraindications with any amphetamine hcl and it's a safe drug.

Best Wishes.
Old 10-15-09, 09:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

chsguy88 will become famous soon enough

Just a few thoughts, my 'two cents' if you will. I used to take benadryl, unisom sleep pills, simply sleep, etc. every now and then to sleep before I was prescribed ambien. I just hate how diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in all those and a plethora of other medications, makes me feel in the morning. Maybe it was all psychological, but I do remember it at slightly helping me fall asleep. Whats odd is I was previously prescribed Vistaril, generic hydroxyzine, in the past for anxiety and it personally never really helped me much. I don't recall it ever making me tired either.

Now that I think about it, the less potent antihistamine in benadryl always seemed to help me fall asleep, but the more potent vistaril didn't. That makes me think that the effects, for me at least, are somewhat psychological... I took benadryl to help me sleep, and it would help... But took the more potent antihistamine stictly for anxiety and it didn't make me tired at all. I bet if the doctor said 'this vistaril will help with your anxiety and take one before bed to help you fall asleep' and it probably would have worked wonders! weird how the mind works.
(75mg effexor XR) (50mg vyvanse) (10mg dexedrine 3x a day) (10mg ambien) (2mg ativan) (2mg terazosin)

Past Meds:
Adderall, Adderall XR, Focalin, Focalin XR, Ritalin, Strattera, Celexa, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Wellbuturin SR, Lunesta, Remeron, Rozerem, Trazodone, Chantix, Naltrexone, Klonopin, Neurontin, Vistaril
Old 03-01-11, 01:22 PM
Jr Member

flyfish is on a distinguished road

I took the CVS version and had a bad reaction, I felt like going to sleep within minutes and then felt like I was drunk, I had the spins sitting on my couch and had problems walking. I don't recommend this at all, it takes several hours to wear off and dealing with that as a sober alcoholic/addict wasn't fun.