ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-08, 04:07 AM

dan_the_man is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD rant - I can't do this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
hahahhahahaha!!!!!!!! god lucky for having the lecture recording online.

or have you ever been called on in class and you're like.. whaaaaaaat? or um I have no idea what you are talking about.

ahaha yea or you are sitting there thinking "oh man next week i'm going to be caught up on the readings so i can answer questions... PLEASE DONT ASK ME THIS WEEK"

next week comes and ur still doing the same thing
Old 04-03-08, 08:02 AM
Jr Member

Ian W is on a distinguished road

Oh boy, I know this one, all about the self critisim, and having to deal with every one else saying why you can't just listen, or focus, or are you paying attention to what i am saying, or did you hear a word i said? thats one of those keepers...whats even worse is when your your own worst critic..I know i am, and i have a hard time trying to stop my self, from beating my self up.. the favorite why can't you be like every normal person, just because you have adhd, doesn't mean people have to make make concessions to you, you just have to get it to gether, and start acting normal...thats a killer... specially when even if your meds, are making you calmer, in side and all people see is you moving, and they think you haven't got a clue, but your mind is already making the list of the next 5 things..and sorry turning in to a rant..*LOL*

ther are many things i know we all want to shout about and curse our selves about our condition, somtimes we can't always be in control..we have good days and bad days
Old 04-03-08, 10:26 AM
Jr Member

crash_matrix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
hahahhahahaha!!!!!!!! god lucky for having the lecture recording online.

or have you ever been called on in class and you're like.. whaaaaaaat? or um I have no idea what you are talking about.
LOL I've had that happen before; felt like a deer in headlights

-- Allen
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-08, 06:47 PM

long916 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko74 View Post

You feel like you've spent more time being wrong than right.

Criticism is always there. Very rarely do your efforts get praise. And no matter how long I've heard, somehow it never gets easier to take.

The only thing I ever wanted from my diagnosis is to feel 'right' for longer than ten seconds. I'll keep a thousand to do lists if it meant I never have to hear a critism again.

I want the 'yelling' (I guess my word for critism) to stop. I want it to stop now.
I REALLY feel you on this. I want the "Yelling" to stop also.

I've been diagnosed with inattentive ADHD for about a year now. Started taking Strattera about 9 months ago and the affects for me were nothing short of 180 degree in my perceptions and attitude.

The flip side is that I and SO started thinking it was going to fix how I functioned and interacted in life. So now with these new "Normal" people expectation of me it seems that all my shortcomings and mistakes are 10x magnified.

I am really confused now. Because I don't know if I'm perceiving reality correctly. Plus my SO of 14 years is claiming that this ADHD thing is nothing but me wanting attention and that I'm really a Narcissist. She even debated it with my therapist.

I truly wish I was living alone and in ignorance again.
Old 04-03-08, 09:13 PM
Fantastic super duper mod

Thanked 1,619 Times in 801 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_the_man View Post
I hope this has helped. I realise things are never easy, but just hold in there.
I know you had started in a good place. But after you dismissed each one of my feelings by saying I 'just have to deal with it', I can't say that I felt a sense of support from you. But I do appreciate that you were trying to help.

I feel like your words are the equivlant to the non-ADHDer telling me that if I just 'focused a little harder' things would be ok.

Anyway, I hope you take these words as positive feedback.
Old 04-04-08, 12:47 AM

dan_the_man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko74 View Post
I know you had started in a good place. But after you dismissed each one of my feelings by saying I 'just have to deal with it', I can't say that I felt a sense of support from you. But I do appreciate that you were trying to help.

I feel like your words are the equivlant to the non-ADHDer telling me that if I just 'focused a little harder' things would be ok.

Anyway, I hope you take these words as positive feedback.
I apologise if that how I came across. Sometimes I get in a rut, like you seem to be in now. I understand exactly how you are feeling.

I admit it did come across as me saying "toughen up princess." However, connotations sometimes get lost when just reading a text reply.

I'll attempt to explain what I meant.

I get down about add or adhd all the time. I think "why can't my brain just work the same as the general population." Then I think "well there is no point dwelling on something that cannot be fixed... I just have to make do with what I have and do the best I can."

One way to think of it is that us with this condition are stronger people for being able to handle it. People without our condition do not have to work as hard to manage things as we do.

Imagine that for one day, things were reversed. Those in society with add/adhd suddenly did not have the condition, and those who normally do not suffer from adhd/add suddenly do have the condition. The world would be in kaos! They wouldnt have the strength to deal with it like we do, most people would crumble at the challenge they suddenly faced. Where as we'd continue to work harder than the average person and we would continue to excel.

What I am trying to get at is; you are stronger than those people who criticise you. You have more of a disadvantage yet you can still rise to the level of excellence required of you.

Remember to surround yourself with those who love you, accept you and can offer simple support in the way of verbal comfort when you need it. People who put you down are not worth hanging around. Let them go and put someone else down, you do not need that. They will soon learn they need to change their attitude as they realise they keep losing friends.

But remember you also need people around you who can help you to "snap out of it." Sometimes a good "ok stop dwelling on the negatives and get on with your life" talking to is what we need to get us going again. As long as that kick in the bottom is from someone who respects and cares about you, because then you know they are saying it with your best interests at heart.
The Following User Says Thank You to dan_the_man For This Useful Post:
PopSwatter (04-04-08)