ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-03-08, 03:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADD_Pyrate_Gurl has a spectacular aura aboutADD_Pyrate_Gurl has a spectacular aura about
I hate my job....

My job sucks. I've lost motivation to be there. I'm always showing up late even if I put in the effort to be there on time/early. I feel as though my job is a soul sucking, mind numbing, dull and boring. I want to quit but people keep telling me not to quit until I have another job to replace it but I'm not sure if I can stand it for that long. I'm not the kind of person that money is a motivator. I have to enjoy what I do to be motivated. When I was first hired, I was motivated because it was my first job, so there was that excitement of it being a "first" but now it's like... I'm done with it.

Everybody there, with the exception of a few of my fellow cashiers, are jerks. The managers there are stuck up snobby little @ssholes. I have a vacation coming up so I'm thinking that the payday after I get back from vacation I'll quit. I honestly don't think I can stand to work for them any longer than that. I can't stand working for a huge corperate giant. I'm not cut from the corprate mold. I'm a theatre techie. Working for a theatre is not the same as working for a huge company. Theatre people are more lax. If you show up a little late, they're not gonna throw a fit. As long as you're there two hours before curtain on show days and you show up within the first 10 minutes of the scheduled rehersal time, it's fine. Theatre's not so ridgid.
Old 04-04-08, 08:38 AM

AgentSpeed will become famous soon enough
Re: I hate my job....

I guess I'll chime in. First, you're not in a corporate job. If you are a cashier I'm guessing you work in some sort of retail job. That's not a corporate position so don't rule out jobs with big companies entirely. I'll get to the point of why you shouldn't in a minute.

Why don't you take your friends advice and keep this job until you find another-maybe a job in theater? It sounds like that is where you want to be anyway. If it is a passion of yours why not turn that passion into a job that you enjoy doing everyday? If you found a job within an industry that you like it really changes your outlook on working and certainly makes jerks at work easier to deal with.

Regarding big companies. Don't always rule those out. I've worked for a few very large companies and I didn't seem to fit for one reason or another, but one thing that is great about big companies is their benefits. I didn't realize the true "benefit" until I started working for a small company and then owning my own business and of course when you start a family. It sure is a reality check when you go from paying $40/month for your family's health insurance to over $700+.

I know you don't want to hear this, but don't do anything rash. You could really regret it. Most of us are very impulsive and do things on a whim or without thinking them through fully. Just think about what you really want to do and create a path to get there.

Good luck,

Agent
Old 04-04-08, 02:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADD_Pyrate_Gurl has a spectacular aura aboutADD_Pyrate_Gurl has a spectacular aura about

I work for a national home improvement chain. I think I heard one of my bosses say that it's a fortune 50 company. So it's not a small little company. I do want to get a job with a theatre company but it's very hard to break into it. I tried calling to ask a local theatre if they were hiring and I all I got was an automated machine... and it was 11am!

I'm thinking I'll quit the payday after I get back from vacation. Then I'll be paid for vacation. I want to see if I can find a job either at a theatre or at least someplace I like to shop at. lol.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-08, 02:38 PM
Forum Guru

cameron has a spectacular aura aboutcameron has a spectacular aura about

ADD girl, you sound like your fairly "young" to me. I would take AgentSpeeds advice and wait to you have another job. Today's job market is T.O.U.G.H! I have been out of work for a little over 3 months and I have got quite a bit of interviews, and no job offers... I'm late 30s. I have hurt many aspects of my life by quitting(and also getting fired) a few times in my career. I learned my lesson late in life(it took me till my early 30s to realize this was STUPID!) what I did at my last job was basically act like a lunatic(not really literally, but close!). I argued with customers, my co-workers didn't really like me, and I talked $hit about the company I worked for... It all worked out in the end--I got fired and recieved unemployment. In the past, I would have said; F-it...I'm quitting NOW. The moral to the story: do not quit.
The Following User Says Thank You to cameron For This Useful Post:
ADHDbutTrying (05-04-08)
Old 04-05-08, 04:19 AM

Av8rjoker is on a distinguished road

Not trying to be an ***, but has anyone here ever liked their first job?

Also, you must be pretty young, because "theater" is an extracurricular activity at school, not a job. Most actors (that actually survive off of acting) had to work at really bad jobs for a very long time while eating ramen and sharing a studio with 3 other people.

I was 12 when I had my first job... picking strawberries. I hated it. Hated my second job, third job, and had a love/hate thing with my fourth job at the ripe old age of 15 until the age of 18. I've hated most jobs after that. I'm 24 and finally found a job that I again have a love/hate relationship with, which is better than I've had for a while. I'm back in college again but am not working in my prospective career field yet.

If this is your first job, then you probably have a long time until you'll find a job that you really like. One thing you need is "qualifications". That takes time, effort, and/or schooling. I've been working for 12 years and only had one "job" that I liked. That was being a volunteer firefighter, in which I didn't make any money.

Moral of the story: this is only your first job.... try to find the best things about it, because you'll have plenty more jobs to hate after this. Work is work. You wouldn't be doing it if you didn't have a reason, which is to make money so you can do the things you actually enjoy. What I have been slowly learning is that it isn't the job, but your mindset, and the way you look at your job and your life. It's just a necessary step towards your true goals, so try to enjoy what you can.
Old 04-05-08, 06:34 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,557 Times in 5,758 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

If I really hate a job or reach a point where I dread going in before even beginning my days off I can't stay there either - I will admit the idea about making them fire you in order to collect unemployment isn't a bad one.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 04-06-08, 01:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rjoker View Post
Also, you must be pretty young, because "theatre" is an extracurricular activity at school, not a job. Most actors (that actually survive off of acting) had to work at really bad jobs for a very long time while eating ramen and sharing a studio with 3 other people.
I never said I was an Actress! Are you kidding me?! I could never act! I'm a Techie. I do the building, painting, sound, lighting, props, rigging, etc. In a theatre, there's about twice as many techies to actors. On a movie set, there's like... 5x as many techies as there are actors.... (provided it's not a Jerry Bruchimer movie... then counting the extras, it's about dead even HAHA). Techie jobs are easier to come by than acting jobs because nobody sees our faces! lol. The hard part is breaking into the profesional theatres but once you're in, you're in. (BTW, I'm almost 22 so we're not that far in regard to age.)
Old 04-06-08, 03:46 AM

Oddly, I know more actors now than anyone who "supports" actors. I've been in the stage crew before as well. I suppose it is the industry that I'm speaking of. The entire industry is ridiculous. It isn't reality. But if you really like it, then go for it. Everyone has their own interests, and I may have my own opinion, but what does it matter? If you have a talent (you should narrow yours down, because you mentioned quite a few professional careers in your last post), then use it. As I said, high school "theater" is quite different than actually doing this for a living. For instance, you mentioned "sound" as one of the many things that you have done. I work with some of the best "sound" guys in the industry. Seriously. I work at one of the largest audio equipment companies in the world, quite possibly THE largest. Most of these guys have spent their entire lives working with music, electronics, acoustics, etc., and the bare minimum that each of them has is an audio engineering degree. These people are brilliant, yet they work as tech support, and are making just less than double minimum wage. Not as glamorous as you might think.

Yes, I'm a bit pessimistic, but reality is rather harsh. I'm great at quite a few things, but not great enough to get hired as one of those things. Through my experience, I can fight fires, provide EMT-B medical care, create small functional programs (client/server side) in Perl, fly (single engine) aircraft, and kill anyone and anything within 300 yards with an M16A2/A4 and multiple other weapons, and much more. Yet I can't get a job doing any of those things.

All I'm saying is that you have to work DAMN hard in order to break into whatever career you truly want to be in. Yes, you may have enjoyed theater in high school. I enjoyed programming in high school. Doesn't matter. I need to be really good in order to get a job doing it. There are thousands of people better than me right now. I am working on changing that. It will take money, time, and very hard work, but I will do it.

You are only at your first job, and you will experience quite a bit more resentment towards other jobs. You have a very long way to go. Especially in todays world. Keep at it and don't give up hope. Just don't expect it to be easy, and don't shrug off every job you have. You may not know it, but you are gaining valuable experience and developing character right now. That is very important. I honestly wish you the best of luck.

PS - I've had a very rough past few weeks. I've started two new meds, and have been weening off another. I apologize for my bluntness. Yet I feel that my comments are just. Keep trying, and don't give up.
Old 04-06-08, 06:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

Theatre is more than just a hobby to me. It's the one place in this whole world I feel... normal... in control... a sense of belonging. It's more to me than something that interested me in high school. I've had to take a break from college so I haven't worked in a theatre for a while now, and I feel I'm missing a part of myself. Like there's a huge hole in my soul. Theatre is my passion. During High School, and even in College, if I was having a bad day, I'd call my parents and tell them I would be staying after in the theatre because there was always something I could work on. Theatre is like a place of sanctuary to me. A place I can go and forget about my problems for a couple of hours. What I like about theatre is that it revolves around a realm of fantasy and make believe. When I'm working in a theatre, I can check reality at the door. The only reality that exists is the one that I help create (the play/musical).

Because I've only done it in high school and college, I've had to be a "jack of all trades." I think I want to be either a sound or lighting designer but I'm leaning towards lighting designer.I'm thinking of talking with an advisor to figure out what classes I still need to take in order to get my A.A. in Theatre, then I want to enroll in college again (community college).

I want to get my Associate of Performing Arts, then go on to get my Bachelor's of Performing Arts. I know it's a tough business to break into, but like I said, once you have, it's a cinch from there. I'm willing to do anything to break into the business. If I have to start out as a stage hand or something remedial like that, I'm willing to do that until I can work my way up to better positions. There are plenty of professional theatres in my area I can put in my resume at, it's just finding a day off I can get downtown to do so.

Although even if I was working for a clothing store, I think it would be better than the job I have now... and there's a new store in my local mall that's dedicated to all things pirate that I wouldn't mind working at. (If you couldn't tell from my username, I love Pirates!) I know that working for a professional theatre might not be possible until I get my A.A. And I'm willing to settle for a different job that I would enjoy better. I took this job because it was the one place that would hire me without any job experiance.

I equate my first job like my first boyfriend. Both were really great in the beginning. It was exciting and thrilling but as the months went on, I discovered little things about each that I disliked. Soon those little things started getting on my nerves until the point that I couldn't take it any more and felt like if I didn't get out of that situation I would explode. So I broke up with my boyfriend because he was an @ss and now I want to "break up" with my job because it's boring, I dread going in, I'm sick of the bosses, and they're all just getting on my nerves. I feel as though that job is eating away at my soul. It's mind, body and soul numbing. I don't ever want to get stuck in a job like that. Ever.
Old 04-06-08, 09:01 AM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

Regardless of what job you're intending to find, looking for one that "allows" you to be tardy is a bad sign, and frankly makes you a less than desirable candidate.

I can relate to the hating your job part however, and I bet you're a complete joy to the customers at this point. The fact that they haven't fired you yet for being routinely late is a miracle.

Two bits of advice: If your not giving a job your all, then don't expect management to kiss your butt. It kind of peaves coworkers when someone is either consistently late, or functioning on a sub par level and still maintaining their employment and they (*the coworkers) are busting their butts and not being acknowledged.

Secondly, the grass ain't always greener.

Getting a degree and finding a job that you truly enjoy is definitely going to improve your life in a number of ways. However you still need a job and if someone is willing to pay you to do a job, I'd highly recommend you do it and do it to the best of your ability.
But if you don't like being a cashier, then don't be a cashier. Just don't blame them because you find it boring.

If you're at the big box home improvement chain I'm thinking of (or the other one) and you're anything like the cashiers I've experienced there, that's the very reason I no longer shop there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeloresMelon For This Useful Post:
ADDAWAY (04-06-08), Av8rjoker (04-07-08), Pauligirl (04-21-08)
Old 04-06-08, 08:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

I do not work at the orange box. I work at the blue house (??). You know, the one with the employees in the red vests/aprons. And even though I hate my job, I do not take it out on the customers. I have great customer service skills and I think that's one of the main reasons they haven't fired me. And I've never had a single customer complaint in the year+ that I've worked there. Only recently have I really started to dread going in. Before it was just like... "*sigh* I work today...." But now it's like, "D@mn it... I don't wanna go... Am I sick? No? D@mn." Now I'm always asking myself in that split second I wake up, if I have any excuse/reason to call in sick because I don't want to go in. The days are long and boring and the bosses have got a stick up their rear ends... or they're just stupid and incompetent (case in point, the store manager... he has no clue how ANYTHING works within the departments or how the returns works, etc. He's a moron. And one of my other bosses is also ADD and he's worse than I am because he's @nal!)

Also I think another reason I haven't been fired is because every time the pull me into the office, I always end up crying and it's always my ADD boss to pull me into the office so maybe the tears pull me some sympathy/empathy. LOL.. (j/k)
Old 04-07-08, 01:56 AM

Well the only thing I can say is that unless your parents are paying for everything for you, you need to have a job while you are going to school. I'm in that position right now. My parents are 2000 miles away (not like they'd pay for anything for me anyways), I work full-time, and go to school part time. I don't want it this way, but I don't have any other options.

I suppose you are just going to have to learn how the working world works. You may never find a regular job that you actually love (I really haven't yet). However, you can find jobs that you may like, but it may very well depend solely on your attitude. I figure that as long as a company is paying me and I'm going to school for something that I like, I won't mind my situation because it isn't permanent. Working at a job doesn't mean you have a career in that field. It is just a job. I used to hate going into work every day, but I was eventually able to change my mindset in order to just do my job, and do it better than anyone else. Now I don't mind it. There are countless things that **** me off, but I either try to fix them, or just accept them. You will eventually learn that even though you may not like your job, you have to do it anyways. I wouldn't imagine that you would know this yet, but getting fired from a job can make your next job harder to get.

My next statement is very important, so please pay attention. One of THE most important things that employers look at is your prior job experience, and how long you were at that job. If you had a few jobs and held them for only a couple of months each, your employer is going to question your work ethic, and probably not hire you even before looking at what you did. Why would they hire anyone who is just going to be there for a few months, regardless of their qualifications? In one of your previous posts, you said, "I took this job because it was the one place that would hire me without any job experience." So you have already experienced the limitations of bad/no work experience.

If this were your first job and you were 15 or so, I would expect this sort of thinking. However, you are an adult now and only 2 years younger than me, so you should know these things. Also, I would highly recommend taking responsibility for your actions. At most jobs, crying doesn't get you very far.
Old 04-07-08, 02:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

Well, I was just kidding about the crying thing (hence the reason I said j/k). And I do still live with my parents. I think if I lived on my own my attitude about holding down a job would be different. That, I think, is the major reason that I said money is not a motivator for me. My parents are very loving and generous with me. Before I even had a job, they did pay for my education. My mom told me as long as I live with them, they will help me with tuition. And it's not that I don't want to have a job any more, I just don't want the one I got. Plus I want to see if I can find a job with a better health insurance policy, hopefully with Kaiser (local hospital in the area). I was born at Kaiser, they know me there and Kaiser is SO different than a PPO.

I have worked at my current job for almost a 1 1/2 years. So it's not like I've only worked there for a few months like you mentioned. This is my first job and I've been able to hold it down for a year and a half. I feel as though it is better to quit because then it is MY CHOICE to leave, rather than being fired which puts a negative look on my work ethic, behavior, etc.

If they ask me why I quit, I can simply tell them that I did not enjoy the job any more, it was a poorly managed store, severly understaffed, ect. It was my first job and I felt as though it was time to move on. I don't know about other states, but here they have an option on applications that asks if they can call your last employer or if you do not want them calling your last employer. I can choose for them NOT to call my previous employer and they cannot hold that against you.
Old 04-07-08, 03:56 AM

First, the way you worded that sentence about the crying made it seem as though you were joking about the sympathy, and not the crying. No matter though.

Second, considering the new information, it might possibly be time to look for another job. Because your parents can pay for everything (I never had that luxury myself although my fiance did) and because it has been a year and a half for your first job, then you might be ok with getting a new job. I apologize for my previous assumptions. I would imagine that most people in their first job are very young, and many of the things you said led me to believe the same.

Either way, I still believe that what I have said before stands true, however it may not be 100% relevant now. More time at a job is better, but if you are financially secure then you might want to consider leaving. However, as DeloresMelon said previously, "the grass isn't always greener." That is a very hard truth that I still have difficulty with. You will find that some or most of the problems you are having now will apply to any job you are at. My current job has some of those issues, but then again I love the people I work with. You have to weigh out the good and the bad.
Old 04-07-08, 04:01 PM
Forum Guru

cameron has a spectacular aura aboutcameron has a spectacular aura about

some of these posts are quite something. What are some of your problems in life...Av8joker(or whatever your handle is), how about you DeloresMelon? you two seem to have all your $hit together...have figured out the "American career path", etc, etc, etc..... Great. Some of us aren't so lucky. I'm done with this thread.