ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-08, 01:10 AM

vtenginerd is on a distinguished road
Hello from VT

Hey there,

I just found this site today and thought I'd sign up. I'm in grad school at Virginia Tech studying engineering. I've noticed that since I've been up here I've had trouble focusing on my school work, so I decided to see the campus psychologist to talk about possible issues with depression or something. During our second visit today, he suggested that I have symptoms consistent with ADD and that may be the reason for my concentration issues. He mentioned that sometimes this goes unnoticed in "smart" people because their performance in school doesn't raise any red flags, but that as they get further along either in undergrad or even grad school the ADD becomes more of an issue. He recommended that I get tested with one of the local psychiatrists so that they could make a diagnosis.

I suppose this makes sense. Come to think about it, I would daydream or draw or something in class if the subject matter was boring to me, but I always did well in school so I didn't really think anything of it. I would also put off homework assignments or projects that were either boring or tedious, and even when I did sit down to do them I wouldn't be able to concentrate on what I had to do. I just chalked it up to not being challenged. I'm definitely being challenged now, but it's still hard for me to focus and retain what's being taught in class, much less concentrate on something that requires a lot of thought, like projects.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I may end up sticking around here depending on what the psychiatrist has to say. Right now I'm just trying to learn about ADD and learn about what similar people are going through.
The Following User Says Thank You to vtenginerd For This Useful Post:
ADDAWAY (04-04-08)
Old 04-04-08, 01:27 AM
Forum Guru

MJwatson has a spectacular aura aboutMJwatson has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hello from VT

Hey! I grew up in good ol' Blacksburg VA! GO HOKIES!
Old 04-04-08, 01:35 AM

Sweet! GO HOKIES!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-08, 01:38 AM
Forum Guru

LOL! it's thursday...shouldn't you be a Sharkeys or some Frat house?
Old 04-04-08, 01:52 AM

LOL. Nah, I'm in the grad program so unfortunately the weekend actually starts on Friday for me.

I have been known to hang out at Hokie House or the Cellar on Friday and Saturday nights, though.
Old 04-04-08, 02:16 AM
Forum Guru

the hokie house wasn't there when I was and Sharkeys was actually Arnolds!. Ever had a burger from Mikes Grill?? mmmmmmm I'm drooling!
Old 04-04-08, 02:38 AM

Ah. Yeah, evidently local businesses have changed a lot, even over the past few years.

I have had a burger from Mike's Grill, in fact! I can see why his burgers are famous!
Old 04-04-08, 08:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to behold

Welcome VTengiNERD! A couple of ideas from one of my prior posts for your problem areas:
  • Get a study buddy and talk the written material through with each other. Have fun with it. Quiz each other, compete. Make a joke about this or that part of the material. Try probing questions about related issues. Take a 5 minute break every 30 minutes. I used this method to study for the tests to obtain my professional license. We studied poolside, believe it or not (snacks and beverages included). The breaks were dives and horse-play in the pool.
  • Dictate the material onto tape or disk (just talk, don't try to learn--like you're being paid to do a commercial voice-over). Have someone else do it for you if you prefer. Then, just listen to the material & take notes. Rewind if you need to. Do it in 30 minute spurts with 10 minute breaks in between. Play music in the background, the songs will jog your memory about parts of the material.
  • Draw pictures of each major concept as you listen to a lecture or study: if material's about building stresses draw a spinning building with a callout sign saying (GAME OVER (or FIRED) -- TOO MUCH Wind stress or shear here). Pictures are worth a thousand words, and work well for us.
  • Work with a tutor to get through it
The whole concept is to change the manner of approaching, processing and storing the info. as what you're doing is not working for you right now.

Happy trails fellow traveler!
indy (12-20-08)
Old 04-04-08, 10:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to ADDForums!

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 04-04-08, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the welcomes!

ADDAWAY,

Thanks for the advice! That sounds like a good idea about the study buddy; in undergrad I had my best success working on my own, but the situation is somewhat different now, so this would probably be helpful.

I like your idea about dictating the material, too. Come to think about it, this would really help retention because two of my professors heavily rely on powerpoint or overhead slides (!!!) to convey the subject matter, so it's easy to daydream when you aren't keeping busy taking notes.

One big issue that I have to deal with now that wasn't much of a problem in undergrad is huge projects (and sometimes bigger homework assignments). The workload for our course project in one class is comparable to our senior design project in undergrad, only this project is individual effort. It's an easy project and he's clear about what he expects and what we're required to do, but I have a hard time breaking the project down. I spent probably an hour the other other day staring at my Excel sheet for 5 minutes while thinking about stuff I have to do in the MathCAD sheet, and then I'd switch to the MathCAD sheet and eventually decide that I need to work on the Excel sheet first. It's hard for me to explain, but it's as if I intellectually know what the priorities are (and in what order to do them), I just can't seem to focus on tackling them in that order.

Quote:
The whole concept is to change the manner of approaching, processing and storing the info. as what you're doing is not working for you right now.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. According to the psychologist I was able to develop "coping strategies" which were effective for high school and undergrad, but now that I'm on a more level playing field with more complex subject matter those strategies break down.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Hopefully I'll be able to get a more thorough diagnosis from a psychiatrist, but something's got to change and I'm starting to doubt my ability to do it on my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to vtenginerd For This Useful Post:
ADDAWAY (04-04-08)
Old 04-04-08, 12:23 PM
Forum Guru

You should totally listen to ADDAWAY..that dude knows his stuff!..and Remember Mary the star...she will be there when you need her. DO NOT take my advice All I did there was well basically every warning sign of undiagnosed ADHD!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MJwatson For This Useful Post:
Mary (04-07-08)
Old 04-04-08, 12:36 PM

Cool, thanks for the pointers. It's always good to know the people you can rely on!

You're pretty awesome, too. You know about Blacksburg and like the Hokies, so it's not all bad!
Old 04-04-08, 12:57 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtenginerd View Post
Cool, thanks for the pointers. It's always good to know the people you can rely on!

You're pretty awesome, too. You know about Blacksburg and like the Hokies, so it's not all bad!

LOL, thanks! and booy do I know about Blacksburg!!
Old 04-04-08, 12:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to behold

There's an ADD/Bipolar friend of mine who does all of the following:
  • Takes detailed notes of what the prof. says
  • Records the notes himself
  • Puts the recording on continuous play during his sleep
The idea is multi-sensory perception and repetition:

Never tried scents on notes or eating them, though!!
indy (12-20-08)
Old 04-04-08, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amykins View Post
LOL, thanks! and booy do I know about Blacksburg!!
Blacksburg is great! 'course I guess it takes about 5 minutes to get acquainted with the town, but that's part of its charm!