ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-04-08, 09:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

bliss22 is on a distinguished road
caffeine w/Vyvanse vs. caffeine w/Adderall XR

So lately, I've been hearing a lot of people say that you "should NOT" consume caffeine with Vyvanse... and I was wondering why I never hear this about Adderall XR...? How does it compare?

I've consumed up to 250 mg of caffeine while on 20 mg of Adderall XR, and I didn't experience any unpleasant side effects. (no chest pain, palpitations, anxiety, etc.)

...So I was wondering... is it any more dangerous to drink the same amount of caffeine with 30-70 mg of Vyvanse?? Why is everyone warning against this?

I know that you should always be careful mixing caffeine with stimulants, but I've done it before with Adderall, and I was fine. Both medications are the long-lasting/extended release type... so it shouldn't be too dangerous, right?!

Has anyone had caffeine while taking Vyvanse? How much did you drink? What was your experience?
Old 04-04-08, 10:03 PM

neoamd is on a distinguished road
Re: caffeine w/Vyvanse vs. caffeine w/Adderall XR

Adding other stimulants in conjunction with amphetamine based meds isn't reccomend as it can cause side effects to worsen and can bring back the shakes etc.

When I did combine them I wondered why I had head aches regulary, irritation because worse, and my chest tightness got worse. Stopping it solved the issues, why use anything else when you have, legally, amphetamines!!!

Although it doesnt effect some people. Best thing is trial and errors though if you are going to try it, just keep the doses low and build up over time. Good luck.
Old 04-04-08, 10:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

GuardianAngel has a spectacular aura aboutGuardianAngel has a spectacular aura about

for me more than about 40mg of caffine will keep me up WAY past my bedtime,

Vyvanse sensitized me to caffine, something I was not used to at all.
Old 04-04-08, 10:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

ZappedMind has a spectacular aura aboutZappedMind has a spectacular aura about

On Adderall XR 30mg I had palpations and heart fast/rush during the "release" stages of the XR. Palpations I tended to have all the time. On 70mg Vyvanse, my palpations went away and I didn't have the rush. I drink a lot of caffene, so if that is what caused my issues on Adderall... then I had no clue, assumed it was the adderall.

The Vyvanse just isn't cutting it for me... I tend to one more of ANYTHING to get me going, in fact I wanted more Adderall XR when the doc put my on Vyvanse.

He did get me on the last round 20mg D-Amph to take only when needed to get my over the days that I am having trouble. But, it seems every day is that way now. I started taking the 20mg, and noticed few palpations now and then, but sadly, I feel no other difference.

I decided to self-medicate today and I took 40mg of the D-Amph and about an hour later... I was "wired" and able to actually work on some stuff. Although... I did notice I was shaking slightly (arms) and for the first time in 6-7 months, I felt the "Adderall Rush"... which was nice and evil at the same time.

I don't really like the rush... but at the same time... if I can look beyond the "rush" and do something else, I am usually pretty productive.
Old 04-04-08, 11:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
why use anything else when you have, legally, amphetamines!!!
^ good point.

but the answer is because I'm not taking any medication right now, and I'm already used to drinking several cups of caffeine every day. I was recently prescribed Vyvanse...and I want to try it as soon as possible... but if I'm not allowed to have any while taking Vyvanse, then I'll have to spend the next 3 weeks weaning myself off of my morning (and afternoon) diet cokes. and that wouldn't be fun. (especially since I have a lot of work to do... )
Old 04-04-08, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss22 View Post
^ good point.

but the answer is because I'm not taking any medication right now, and I'm already used to drinking several cups of caffeine every day. I was recently prescribed Vyvanse...and I want to try it as soon as possible... but if I'm not allowed to have any while taking Vyvanse, then I'll have to spend the next 3 weeks weaning myself off of my morning (and afternoon) diet cokes. and that wouldn't be fun. (especially since I have a lot of work to do... )
I hear ya, Im the opposite. I don't like the upper feeling hence the fact I'll never abuse my medication. Plus saving it up would cause me more issues in daily life than I care to deal with.

Although on workout days I take my Vyvanse with 2 scoops of SuperPump250. Nothing really changes, if only if and other stim is added to the adderall. I avoid them like the plauge.
Old 04-04-08, 11:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

^I've never heard of SuperPump250.

hmmmm.

anyways... I think it's weird how people say "no caffeine!" and yet they think it's safe to take 20 mg Adderall IR with Vyvanse, or any kind of IR pill in the afternoon. (shouldn't that be more dangerous? taking even more amphetamines?!)

for some reason, I don't feel like Diet Coke or Red Bull are quite as dangerous as taking more medication. but I guess I'll try to wean myself off of them anyway...
Old 04-05-08, 11:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

bliss22

Taking caffeine during the day with your medication should be fine. ..... I've never had any problems while taking caffeinated beverages and rarely think about the combination of my medication and or caffeine. It's never given me a charge , ever... While I was in college and in graduate school I drank soda's all the time. Not a big deal unless your body is experiencing tics or psychomotor agitation. I would think that your fine. The only time I've ever experienced overstimulation is while I took wellbutrin with concerta and then occasionally had a caffeinated beverage....Talk about not cool-
Old 04-05-08, 11:42 AM

burman is on a distinguished road

I drink coffee, Diet Coke and sometimes an energy drink with Vyvanse or Adderall. I don't get any side effects from consuming them together. In fact, it prolongs the effects of the medication for me, especially when I drink caffeine 4-5 hours after I've taken my medication.
I can drink caffeine a few hours before bedtime and am still be able to get to sleep.
Old 04-05-08, 06:08 PM

Quote:
^I've never heard of SuperPump250.

hmmmm.

anyways... I think it's weird how people say "no caffeine!" and yet they think it's safe to take 20 mg Adderall IR with Vyvanse, or any kind of IR pill in the afternoon. (shouldn't that be more dangerous? taking even more amphetamines?!)

for some reason, I don't feel like Diet Coke or Red Bull are quite as dangerous as taking more medication. but I guess I'll try to wean myself off of them anyway...
Content of SuperPump250: http://gasparinutrition.com/files/pd...7SuppFacts.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowStuffWorks.com
"Among its many actions, it operates using the same mechanisms that amphetamines, cocaine, and heroin use to stimulate the brain. On a spectrum, caffeine's effects are more mild than amphetamines, cocaine and heroin, but it is manipulating the same channels, and that is one of the things that gives caffeine its addictive qualities."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipdedia.org
Caffeine is also a known competitive inhibitor of the enzyme cAMP-phosphodiesterase (cAMP-PDE), which converts cyclic AMP (cAMP) in cells to its noncyclic form, allowing cAMP to build up in cells. Cyclic AMP participates in activation of Protein Kinase A (PKA) to begin the phosphorylation of specific enzymes used in glucose synthesis. By blocking its removal caffeine intensifies and prolongs the effects of epinephrine and epinephrine-like drugs such as amphetamine, methamphetamine, or methylphenidate.
That should answer your question. I would say it has to deal those new to stimulant medications who are trying to find their doseage and/or those who are sensitive to them.

References:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/caffeine1.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Pharmacology
Old 04-05-08, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burman View Post
I drink coffee, Diet Coke and sometimes an energy drink with Vyvanse or Adderall. I don't get any side effects from consuming them together. In fact, it prolongs the effects of the medication for me, especially when I drink caffeine 4-5 hours after I've taken my medication.
I can drink caffeine a few hours before bedtime and am still be able to get to sleep.
Read above for why it does
Old 04-14-08, 07:09 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

Quote:
So lately, I've been hearing a lot of people say that you "should NOT" consume caffeine with Vyvanse... and I was wondering why I never hear this about Adderall XR...? How does it compare?

I've consumed up to 250 mg of caffeine while on 20 mg of Adderall XR, and I didn't experience any unpleasant side effects. (no chest pain, palpitations, anxiety, etc.)

...So I was wondering... is it any more dangerous to drink the same amount of caffeine with 30-70 mg of Vyvanse?? Why is everyone warning against this?

I know that you should always be careful mixing caffeine with stimulants, but I've done it before with Adderall, and I was fine. Both medications are the long-lasting/extended release type... so it shouldn't be too dangerous, right?!

Has anyone had caffeine while taking Vyvanse? How much did you drink? What was your experience?
Whether or not someone experiences negative side effects is dependent on the person. The only reason why I try to stay off caffeine while medicated is that the effectiveness of the medication seems to be reduced when taking it without caffeine in future doses.

A little caffeine will go a long way in combination with the medication, so if I need to boost the effectiveness of the medication, I will drink a bit of coffee (1/4 cup at most), and that makes a significant difference for me.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
The Following User Says Thank You to HighFunctioning For This Useful Post:
benr1174 (02-27-12)
Old 04-23-08, 11:42 AM
Contributor

texasmissb is just really nicetexasmissb is just really nicetexasmissb is just really nicetexasmissb is just really nice

I dont know why I didnt put it together in reading these post. I drink one cup (but its like cajun very strong coffee in the morning) with the wellibutrin and vyvanse I have had anxiety in the morning but not with my second dose. I also have headaches, Anyway no more caffeine I will wean off. I drank two coronas last night w/o even thinking about it, I dont drink much anymore and shouldnt w/ these meds. Its just habit to do these things w/o thinking. Anyway no more of that I have really bad heartburn and needed to cut those things completely out.
Old 03-03-10, 05:45 AM

aab420 is on a distinguished road

Its around 4:40 in the morning where I am. I tooka vyvanse at about 11 hours ago and my heart still hurts and my pulse still goes all over the place. I'm typing this on my phone because even sitting up in bed winds me. I drank 3/4 of one of those mega monster energy drink, its 24 floz. I took my first 50mg capsul of vyvanse at exactly the same time. This has proved to be one of my largest mistakes ever. I have a high tolerance for caffeine and drink a rediculous amount of it daily, but somehow I still feel wide awake 11 hours later. When you combine the meds with the caffeine be very carefull. I would move around to get rid of the excess energy but I can't. Because it would elevate my heart rate which hasn't stopped racing since the meds kickekd in. That's my two cents I hope you guys don't make the same mistake as me.
Old 05-21-10, 07:51 AM

elliejan will become famous soon enough

I know this thread is old but if I can help someone I will.

I started 30mg Vyvanse 3-4 weeks ago and my doc is slowly increasing the dose until we get the correct one. I have always had less then 2 cups of coffee in the morning so I didn't change that on Vyvanse. As my Vyvanse dose increased I noticed I tolerate the coffee less and less. It really increases the side effects and makes me anxious. I am really kicking myself b/c yesterday I increased my dose again (according to doctor instructions - I take split doses one in the AM and another around 1pm) and I had a meeting in the evening. I had a very small cup of coffee during the meeting. By 10pm my heart rate felt really high (it was about 84bpm) when normal for me is 55-60bpm. I was jittery and just overall anxious. I fell asleep around 1am (normal is 10:30) and I woke today at 5am (normal is 6:30). At 5am my heart rate was still 70's so I have just made myself go slow this morning. I took my Vyvanse dose at 6:30am and I am going to do without any coffee. I may try a very small amount so I don't get a headache later (1/4 cup) and wean down from there. I am bummed b/c I really enjoy my morning coffee. My doc said "once I get on a consistent dose of Vyvanse my body should tolerate caffeine better, it's just this transistion that is making it hard. Though many of his patients just don't enjoy caffeine anymore while on Vyvanse or other stimulants". (docs words). I may try 1/2 & 1/2 regular and decaf this weekend. Absolutely no more in the evening though. I have NEVER had any problem drinking it, I could always fall right to sleep.

Anyhow, just my reaction. Hope it helps someone.

Marcia