ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-10-08, 01:58 PM

Laura89 is on a distinguished road
Adderall and coffee

Before I was taking adderall, I would drink so much coffee. It didn't make me feel hyperactive, or jittery. Just alert, awake, and calm. The only negative effects were racing heart race and aching muscles. Need coffee to get me through the day. I was also drinking energy drinks like monster. Since I started taking adderall my need for coffee decrease. I drink coffee for enjoyment, and now I am not adding extra extra espresso shots!

I work at starbucks (no surprise) and I was wondering if the mixture of coffee and adderall is negative?

Before I would drink at the most 5 espresso shots and two 16oz monster energy drink a day. I am 5'4 and weight 110lbs-120lbs
Old 04-10-08, 02:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Adderall and coffee

Other than over stimulating the body there aren't any bad effects. I pound Diet Pepsi all day long. While my meds are working I tend to drink much less for some reason (just don't crave or want it).

J
Old 04-10-08, 03:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

despirit has a spectacular aura aboutdespirit has a spectacular aura about

Drinking caffeine with your Adderall could cause more anxiety and muscle tension because they are both stimulants. It'll also increase the stress on your cardiovascular system(heart, blood pressure). It shouldn't be a problem in low doses, but be careful about having multiple cups of coffee per day(coffee has around 3x as much caffeine as a soda, IIRC).

Also be careful about drinking soft drinks or anything with citric acid an hour before or after taking your meds, as the acid causes less of your Adderall to be absorbed making it less effective.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to despirit For This Useful Post:
iJuston (08-07-11), Mary (04-17-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-08, 06:39 PM

Cleogirl is on a distinguished road

The only thing I would add is that caffeine may make you dehydrated and I believe dehydration decreases Adderall effectiveness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleogirl For This Useful Post:
Mary (04-17-08)
Old 04-10-08, 10:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Momness is an unknown quantity at this point

From WebMD's Adderall XR interactions section - "Avoid drinking large amounts of beverages containing caffeine (e.g., coffee, tea, colas) or eating large amounts of chocolate. Caffeine can increase the side effects of this medication."

Yes, medically it's not good to have lots of caffeine when taking Adderall - they are both stimulants. And, MAN, it sounds like you used to have a tremendous amount of caffeine and sugar every day ( BTW - energy drinks are FULL of sugar and contain the caffeine of TWO average cups of coffee).

Did you ever think that maybe you used to use caffeine and sugar to "self medicate" - kind of like stimulant shots throughout the day? When I was in college and had major exams, I'd take some no-doze before exams because it would help me do better. At the time, I had no idea that I had ADD - I just knew that caffeine somehow helped me get "in the zone" and do better on exams. When I went to be tested for ADD and we went through my history, I realized that I did this a lot as a student and when I was working as a computer consultant without knowing why.

I still enjoy the morning ritual of drinking a cup of coffee - or two. I found that the combo of caffeine and Adderall made me extremely jittery and anxious, though. About a week after I started taking Adderall, I switched to making half-caff in the morning. It helped me manage the caffeine without cutting out my morning ritual all-together. ....Of course when my husband found out I had cut his morning caffeine in half without telling him he was a bit upset to say the least. ("So THAT is why I have had headaches the last two mornings!")

Laura89 - If you enjoy coffee, feel free to drink it if it doesn't make you feel bad - maybe just try not to have too much caffeine (add some decaf into the mix). Take it easy on your body - and your nerves.

That's my two cents - good luck.
Old 04-10-08, 11:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,785 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Adderall bumps my blood pressure into the stratosphere even at just 20mg XR. So add the caffeine into the mix and I'm up well into the hypertensive range. You might want to check your BP some day just to be sure that it isn't doing that to you. Plus, you're small (I'm a little bigger), so that's a lot of stimulation for low blood volume....
Old 04-11-08, 01:35 AM

Seer-X is on a distinguished road

I love caffeine, but I can't touch it when I take Adderall, I get jittery, nervous, and my attention span gets erratic, in effect countering the benefit of taking the medication. it sux, I really love iced mochas.
Old 04-11-08, 02:58 PM

Laura89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momness View Post
And, MAN, it sounds like you used to have a tremendous amount of caffeine and sugar every day ( BTW - energy drinks are FULL of sugar and contain the caffeine of TWO average cups of coffee).

Also I forgot to add I always drink the diet, and low carb energy. I drink allot of the fake sugar, which I assume is just as bad if not worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momness View Post
Did you ever think that maybe you used to use caffeine and sugar to "self medicate" - kind of like stimulant shots throughout the day?

I have a history of eating disorder. I always thought it was part of my eating disorder behaviors. A way to lose weight decrease and appetite. It wasn't untill I notice I still needed coffee even when I was binging, or in recovery. Then I assume I was just addicted to the caffeine. It took me awhile to see the connection with force, school, and my hyperactive behaviors. Caffeinenever made me jitter, just more down to earth
Old 04-17-08, 05:08 AM

GrapeSoda112 is on a distinguished road

I can take 60 mg of Adderall and feel fine. Very energized, but not jittery.

But if I drink one cup of coffee, or one Coke I feel so jittery I ca't handle it... Kinda weird.
Old 04-17-08, 12:14 PM

GrimReaper is on a distinguished road

the pass two nights i had have trouble sleeping i was wondering if this had to do with a 16oz rockstar i had during the afternoon at school and taking a 15mg adderall before that
Old 12-05-08, 02:24 PM

tesla225 is on a distinguished road

i just took my adderall with a monster about 10-15 minutes ago and started freaking out...i'm twitchy like you would not believe. i googled "monster adderall" to see if this was a common occurrence. apparently it is. i am having difficulty even typing this out, and i can't stop my hands from shaking. i don't think i'm dying, but i'm pretty sure there's no way i can legibly finish my calc homework.
Old 12-05-08, 05:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Garbanzo Dude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla225 View Post
i just took my adderall with a monster about 10-15 minutes ago and started freaking out...i'm twitchy like you would not believe. i googled "monster adderall" to see if this was a common occurrence. apparently it is. i am having difficulty even typing this out, and i can't stop my hands from shaking. i don't think i'm dying, but i'm pretty sure there's no way i can legibly finish my calc homework.

why would you do this to yourself.......not a good idea....eat some food and drink lots of water.....
Old 12-05-08, 08:52 PM

cwonderig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbanzo Dude View Post
why would you do this to yourself.......not a good idea....eat some food and drink lots of water.....
Agree. That much stimulation would make me feel like I was dying. If I have coffee with my adderall, I will sometimes feel a pounding heart with shortness of breath - won't last too long, but it's not fun. And then comes the crash later in the day - headache and fried nerves.

Not a good idea, but we learn from experience!
The Following User Says Thank You to cwonderig For This Useful Post:
gotkelli3 (08-25-09)
Old 12-05-08, 09:35 PM
Jr Member

weee96 is on a distinguished road

When using even a small amount of caffeine when I take Adderall, I get jittery and feel slightly nauseated sometimes from overstimulation. When im not on Adderall btw I drink tons of caffeine and have no effects like even one coke does on A. Its best to stay away completely from any other stimulants when on it, you cant be sure exactly how your body will react and some people will get extremely overstimulated and it can be bad on the blood pressure.
Old 12-14-08, 08:53 PM

mjl1213 is on a distinguished road

I'm just 22 and I've been taking Adderall since May. I've noticed that Monster combined with it, even more so than coffee, has a positive impact on me regarding the medication's effectiveness. I know that it is bad for your cardiovascular system, so I avoid it on a regular basis. I have a friend who has an additional prescription for 5mg regular on top of her 20mg XR Adderall to give her a boost if necessary. I tried some of that and it also helped, but again, not as well as with Monster. I spoke to my doctor about that, but she increased my dose from 40mg to 50mg; originally, I was on 30mg. I actually developed insomnia from the hightened dose and suffered some sexual side effects (both have dissapeared since I stopped taking as much). The thing is that even at such a high dose, it was not helping the way that it does with Monster. I know that Monster has other active ingredients along with the caffine; does that have anything to do with the overall effect? Do I need a different perscription? I really want to sort this out.