ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-08, 05:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

butterfly67 is on a distinguished road
Red face Mixing Adderall and vicodin

I know this is a strange combo, but I am on Adderall 5mg XR and I have been having back and muscle pain from work and was prescribed Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain while working.
Does anyone know if these are at all compatible?
I haven't tried them together.
I take Xanax as needed for sleep and muscle relaxing, per Dr prescribed.
But never tried the Adderall/Vicodin together and don't want an adverse reaction.
I am just getting back to Adderall as I was taking the Vicodin everyday for pain relief and am starting it back up tommorrow.
Anybody have an advice?
Thanks!
I am calling the Pharmacy here in a minute to ask them as well so I have a professional opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly67 For This Useful Post:
babychewy (09-27-10)
Old 04-10-08, 07:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

Re: Mixing Adderall and vicodin

Ok,
I called the Pharmacist and she said that the Adderall and Vicodin do not interact with each other and it's ok to take both, just take the Adderall in the morning and the Vicodin later in the day or an hour apart.
I am glad to know that I can take both.
Old 04-10-08, 10:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

They do interact but not in a negative way. Most people find this combination very enjoyable so just be careful
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-08, 02:08 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,755 Times in 5,843 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually they can enhance each other's effects - especially the Adderall enhancing the Vicodens effects which is why the pharmacist recommended them to be taken at two separate times - if you take the Adderall in the morning and the Vicoden at night the Adderall should be out of your system enough to not effect the Vicoden's effect.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 04-11-08, 11:24 AM
Contributor

adhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really nice

I almost never take painkillers, even when I have broken bones (I've broken lots due to my equestrian activities). Anyhow, I had meningitis two years ago and was on lots of painkillers (did nothing for the pain). I was actually able to concentrate very well despite the meningitis (I rather die than go through that pain-- it is the most horrific thing ever. I have a very high tolerance for pain, so saying that is a big deal for me.).

I have always kept a supply of a few extra painkillers around to take in case of severe anxiety. I was unmedicated bp for years, no insurance, so this was my only way of handling the worst times. I never abused them, btw, just took them very occasionally. I always take something when I am on a plane. Not for anxiety, just because I can't sit there, it makes me crazy and breathing all the same disgusting air as a whole bunch of strangers. Nasty. Medicated, I just sit and read and the flight is much better.
Old 04-11-08, 03:46 PM

valerie427 is on a distinguished road

I also take norco..which is stronger than but similar to vicodin, and aderrall xr30mg together everyday for my pain. my dr switched me yesterday to vyvanse but i still have 3 aderralls left..but i am so scared to take it...they give you this like warning sheet w/the vyvanse and it says do not take with narcotic painkillers...?? i thought vyvanse and aderrall were basically the same thing?
Old 04-15-08, 08:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Smile Re: Mixing Adderall and vicodin

That is too bad.
Didn't your Dr know you needed a med that you could take with pain Killers?
Maybe tell him you may need to go back on Adderall, if that is what you feel worked the best.
Old 04-16-08, 01:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie427 View Post
I also take norco..which is stronger than but similar to vicodin, and aderrall xr30mg together everyday for my pain. my dr switched me yesterday to vyvanse but i still have 3 aderralls left..but i am so scared to take it...they give you this like warning sheet w/the vyvanse and it says do not take with narcotic painkillers...?? i thought vyvanse and aderrall were basically the same thing?
Pretty much the same thing. If your doc. said it was ok to take with a painkiller like oxycodone then it's fine, always trust your doctor over information inserts in your meds

Chances are Adderall will have the exact same thing written in it eventually if it doesn't already.
Old 05-10-08, 03:00 PM

HendrixHippie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly67 View Post
I know this is a strange combo, but I am on Adderall 5mg XR and I have been having back and muscle pain from work and was prescribed Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain while working.
Does anyone know if these are at all compatible?
I haven't tried them together.
I take Xanax as needed for sleep and muscle relaxing, per Dr prescribed.
But never tried the Adderall/Vicodin together and don't want an adverse reaction.
I am just getting back to Adderall as I was taking the Vicodin everyday for pain relief and am starting it back up tommorrow.
Anybody have an advice?
Thanks!
I am calling the Pharmacy here in a minute to ask them as well so I have a professional opinion.
I have to take generic adderall (barr mfr) and vicodin together in even higher doses when I have "breakthrough" pain that is not alleviated by ibuprophen(sp?) and don't notice any problems. Good luck.
Old 05-10-08, 11:30 PM
Contributor

fxfake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
they give you this like warning sheet w/the vyvanse and it says do not take with narcotic painkillers...??
Where does it say that? The Medication Guide that's attached to the PI sheet says:
"Especially tell your doctor if you or your child takes:
narcotic pain medicines"

That's not a blanket warning not to take it with narcotic pain killers. The PI sheet lists interactions with meperidine (Demerol) and propoxyphene (the opiate that doctors prescribe as a sick joke).

Now why someones' child's (if I had one) consumption of narcotic pain killers would be affect by the patient's Vyvanse intake is beyond me.
Old 04-21-10, 10:30 PM

BaCkOnTrAcK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

My Doctor just put me back on Adderall; 30mg/day...I was just curious if you liked the Vyvanse better...I have taken adderall in the past and it just seems like its having a different effect on me this time around. Keep me posted!!
Old 07-04-10, 07:06 PM
Contributor

oneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really nice

For most people its ok to mix vicodin/other opiods with vyvanse /adderall, I have in the past and didn't have any problems. The one warning my doc gave me though was that i might be viewed by other doctors who didn't know me as a prescription drug abuser.

I had to consult w/ a neurosurgeon while on this combo and I think this was definitely the case--he wrote in my chart that he was "very concerned about my use of vicodin", and there was a certain look on his face when I was tellling him what meds I take. He was a total jerk of a doctor though so maybe it was just bad luck but it was frustrating b/c he messed up the diagnosis. But maybe he was just worried 'bout the vicodin.
Old 09-25-10, 07:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

superstressed will become famous soon enough
Re: Mixing Adderall and Vicodin

You should be fine with the Adderall and Vicodin. I take Adderall, Fentanyl Transdermal Patch (which is 100 times stronger than Morphine. I had major back surgery in Dec 2009) and Norco 10/325 4x's a day for breakthrough pain and I'm fine. I was on Vicodin HP 10/660 4x's a day until my pain mgmt Dr told me he didn't want me to take that much Tylenol in the Vicodin. I hate Norco.
The Following User Says Thank You to superstressed For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (09-25-10)
Old 09-27-10, 03:05 PM

CNC_fanatic will become famous soon enough

Should be just fine. I had oral some heavy duty dental work done and couldn't really afford to be useless due to pain and the pain-meds for a whole week. The pharmacist said amphetamines and opiates are generally OK together.
Old 07-09-12, 03:15 PM

DaisyDukes is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Mixing Adderall and vicodin

Quote:
This is the exact combination I took today, not really intentionally. I am perscribed adderal xr30mg but the norco I had not been perscribed. I didn't do this intentionaly to get high. I slammed my finger in the car door as I was leaving home I then came across a norco and took it. Pretty impulsively. Later I started having anxiety and worried I had mixed drugs that should not be taken together. As soon as I got home I found this website and your post was very helpful...now I'm just chillin and I can't even feel my figer. How do you feel when you take this combination? I feel pretty awesome but how is the comedown? Thanks again for sharing.