ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-08, 10:16 AM

Lailey will become famous soon enough
Irritability, impatience, discontentment and annoyances

So, now Adderall seems to be waning. I'm only on 20-30mg and I can tell a significant difference in the control of my symptoms. I'm beginning to feel like again, I've just been told to read a book in a foreign language when looking at a task. I don't even know where to begin and all I see is chaos. So, I'm thinking either this med isn't for me or the dosage is way too low.

Now, onto the original purpose for my post. I'm very irritable. Things annoy me - little things, big things; it doesn't matter. This is particularly bad because I have three young children and I feel like such a terrible mom. I'm scared to death I'll make them feel unwanted or like they're just a bother. I love them more than life itself and I do enjoy them, but I just can't seem to get rid of the irritation. It's like it's uncontrollable. The first few days I started Adderall (and previously Vyvanse) the irritation was non-existent. I had patience and I took to time to actually listen to my kids without hurrying them up when trying to tell me a story or ask me a question. I feel like this is just a hopeless battle and that I'll be like this for the rest of my life and that terrifies me.

Will I ever find a medication that helps with my irritability, discontentment and impatience? Is there such a medication? I realize behavior and talk therapy are usually needed, but I can't even break through the wall that's up.
Old 04-14-08, 10:40 AM

Reasontastic is on a distinguished road
Re: Irritability, impatience, discontentment and annoyances

I've had similar experiences within the first couple days of pretty much every medication I've tried. Great for the first couple days with minimal side effects, but from then on I get more irritable with elevated anxiety, flattened mood, and intestinal discomfort.

You could try a methylphenidate based medication such as Ritalin, Concerta, or Focalin, and maybe you'll respond better. Or if those don't work you can try Strattera or Wellbutrin, two non-stimulant medications.

For me the methylphenidates have worse side effects, Strattera makes me nauseous with no benefits and Wellbutrin gives me tics, also with no benefits. But everyone is different and who knows, you might find something that works.

By the way, I'm new here excluding two posts that I've made within the last couple days. Diagnosed at 13, currently 18 and in college.
Old 04-14-08, 12:45 PM
Contributor

SfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of light

The first couple of days on medication are usually an eye opener to anyone who is getting the intended benefit from that medication. I take methylphenidate and also have a cranky personality. I usually get angry when I'm being overloaded with to much information coming at me to fast, I can't sort it all out and what happens is my fight or flight response is triggered. Taking care of several children at the same time is enough to drive me over the wall. I understand what you are saying.

After you take the medication for a while you stop noticing the effects, your body adjusts and you return to what feels like a normal state. The medication is still working, but you can't return to that first "A-HA!" moment, because you only get one chance to experience something for the first time. (By the way, this is the elusive high that drug addicts search for long after the effects wear off, you can never go back again, only just feel "normal").

What remains after you become used to your medication are the underlying psychological patterns that you have created as a coping mechanism, your life skills. In my case I would get angry with people to push them away, to keep them from causing me mental pain. It was a tool that I spent my entire life sharpening, and after my honeymoon with the medication wore off, I again returned to it without even thinking about it. It was just autonomic reaction. Knowing this I am better able to control when my fight or flight response kicks in. I have a more observational point of view on myself. When the third person comes into my office to distract me from my busy schedule I don't need to bark at them, I can be annoyed on the inside but I am also aware that "this person doesn't know that they are just another in a long chain of distractions that are annoying me - calm down, listen, keep your mouth shut, and don't give more than you have to."

I have to wonder that people seem to expect to much from medication. It is only a patch. I look at it as a tool that buys me time to make more rational choices. Instead of overreacting to insignificant problems, I am given an extra second or two to reflect on the data and make a more positive choice of actions. I am still the same person, the medication hasn't turned me into someone different, and I have all the same "baggage" that I ever had. I'm just better able to sort through it, and hopefully unlearn a lot of it and have a better life for it. Patience.
The Following User Says Thank You to SfumatoPants For This Useful Post:
kwalk (04-14-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-08, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfumatoPants View Post
After you take the medication for a while you stop noticing the effects, your body adjusts and you return to what feels like a normal state. The medication is still working, but you can't return to that first "A-HA!" moment, because you only get one chance to experience something for the first time. (By the way, this is the elusive high that drug addicts search for long after the effects wear off, you can never go back again, only just feel "normal").
If this is the case, what exactly is the desired outcome of utilizing medication for ADD? I'm asking a sincere question as I'm new to all of this. I'm not expecting a miracle cure, but I would expect significant improvement when using a medication. Why bother if it doesn't work is my thoughts.

Yes, I do have an incredibly hard time with patience and irritability but I am also (still) having a very hard time focusing and concentrating. The chaos is still there.
Old 04-14-08, 04:18 PM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lailey View Post
If this is the case, what exactly is the desired outcome of utilizing medication for ADD?

The desired outcome is that it helps regulate your ability to focus, concentrate and finish tasks. Some people call that initial "aha" moment euphoria. That particular feeling typically does not last, but the drug does continue to work.

Basically, if you only seek to find that "aha" moment, that is when addiction is going to become a problem. People using a stimulant med live without feeling like they are on a med. (*most people).

On the other hand, if you notice no improvement whatsoever in your ADD symptoms, then perhaps you need a higher dose, or a different med.

Unfortunately, it can take a couple meds and a lot of playing around with dosing before you find something that works.

I think irritability is one of the unhappy joys of adderall. Some find adding another med to counter that helps. Some switch meds all together. Some (myself) just feel it doesn't cause enough trouble to worry about.

If you feel adderall isn't helping your add symptoms, talk to your doctor about either increasing your dose to give adderall one last chance, or switching meds all together.

Old 04-14-08, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeloresMelon View Post

On the other hand, if you notice no improvement whatsoever in your ADD symptoms, then perhaps you need a higher dose, or a different med.

Unfortunately, it can take a couple meds and a lot of playing around with dosing before you find something that works.

I think irritability is one of the unhappy joys of adderall. Some find adding another med to counter that helps. Some switch meds all together. Some (myself) just feel it doesn't cause enough trouble to worry about.
Yes. This is exactly my issue. I realize what you're saying about the euphoric issue and like I've said before - that isn't it. It's the controlling of symptoms that have lessened. Two to three hours (sometimes 4 on a good day) is basically all I have of relatively no symptoms or at least significantly decreased symptoms. This is my frustration. It has nothing to do with the 'aha' you call it.

I don't see the great improvement in my symptoms that I read so much about and that's what I desire so much - just to be able to function as close to normal as I can.
Old 04-15-08, 05:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

amiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud of

Well, there could be a bunch of different things going on.

One, any amphetamine-like medication can make you irritable.

Two, you may have an underlying depressive disorder which can often manifest with ADD-like symptoms (or exacerbate the ADD you have), which could be worsened by your particular medication.

Third, you may have an underlying bipolar (both a depressive and manic disorder) that may be mild -- you don't have to be spending all your money or going totally stratospheric to be hypomanic (low-level manic) or manic. A low level mania can many times trigger an impatience, anger, irritability that you are experiencing. For me, it's like everything that the people do around me makes me want to punch them or tell them to shut up. Even the sound of chewing will make me want to scream.

Low serotonin can cause a marked lack of concentration along with aggression.

Could be a lot of things.
Old 04-23-10, 11:22 AM

smartestblonde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfumatoPants View Post
The first couple of days on medication are usually an eye opener to anyone who is getting the intended benefit from that medication. I take methylphenidate and also have a cranky personality. I usually get angry when I'm being overloaded with to much information coming at me to fast, I can't sort it all out and what happens is my fight or flight response is triggered. Taking care of several children at the same time is enough to drive me over the wall. I understand what you are saying.

What remains after you become used to your medication are the underlying psychological patterns that you have created as a coping mechanism, your life skills. In my case I would get angry with people to push them away, to keep them from causing me mental pain. It was a tool that I spent my entire life sharpening, and after my honeymoon with the medication wore off, I again returned to it without even thinking about it. It was just autonomic reaction. Knowing this I am better able to control when my fight or flight response kicks in. I have a more observational point of view on myself. When the third person comes into my office to distract me from my busy schedule I don't need to bark at them, I can be annoyed on the inside but I am also aware that "this person doesn't know that they are just another in a long chain of distractions that are annoying me - calm down, listen, keep your mouth shut, and don't give more than you have to."

I have to wonder that people seem to expect to much from medication. It is only a patch. I look at it as a tool that buys me time to make more rational choices. Instead of overreacting to insignificant problems, I am given an extra second or two to reflect on the data and make a more positive choice of actions. I am still the same person, the medication hasn't turned me into someone different, and I have all the same "baggage" that I ever had. I'm just better able to sort through it, and hopefully unlearn a lot of it and have a better life for it. Patience.
I was doing a google search about irritability and medication, and came across this post....I think this is one of the best descriptions of what one should expect from the effects of medicine. As I continue to find the right med, I still question how it's supposed to make me feel....how does one know when you've found the RIGHT medication? I think this post does a great job and has actually helped me with my expectations!
Old 04-23-10, 11:44 AM
Contributor

Nick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really nice

Very interesting. I find that Vyvanze makes me the opposite. I am very patient, and my anger impulse is slowed down, and I can think about everything, and I tend to not act out angrily or be irritated. This medication makes me a better man.

Before, I would have a short fuse and get kind of *****y and irritated. Vyvanze helps slow my mind down, and have patience.

It's more complicated than that, and I could write more, but this is what I have noticed.

The way these medications work for some people is fascinating.