ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-20-08, 03:12 PM

Gerg is on a distinguished road
ok to exercise with adderall?

Hey all!
I started taking adderall a few weeks ago. During that time I have done some weight lifting without any problems. I want to start doing cardio again, but am kind of scared based on the potential heart rate issues. Does anyone do cardio while on adderall and have any problems? I have not experienced any fast heart rate side effects, and I am in good shape, so I shouldn't have any issues right? Thanks for the help!
Old 04-20-08, 03:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

mochi will become famous soon enough
Re: ok to exercise with adderall?

I'm on dextroamphetamine sulfate, a compound of adderall. I started about 2 weeks ago. The past week, I've had two 3 mile and one 6.5 mile run with no problem. (Took a week off when I started because I was paranoid about having a heart attack.)

I think my heart rate is a little higher than when I used to run, but it hasn't been a problem for me because it slows right back down within 5-10 minutes of stopping.

Doing as much cardio as you did in the past should be okay.
Old 04-20-08, 03:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

I did a forum search of the adderall forum for [exercise] and these results came up:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/sear...query=exercise

Phaedrus

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-08, 09:51 PM

EricWKL will become famous soon enough

Hey Gerg,

I do have a lot of experience with cardio and adderall/ritalin, and am currently taking 30mg 2 x a day. I play for a division 1 volleyball team in cali and practice 5 days a week for 2 hours and have 1 - 2 games in a week. First off, this is just my experience with adderall and intense trainings and as I'm sure you know, your experience might be different.

Anyway, the reason I take adderall before practice and games is because it helps me stay focused and aware. It also really helps with short duration explosive movements but in general I would not take it if I had to run 3 miles competitively. If i was running at my own pace and at my own leisure then there would be no problem. Every practice we are worked really hard, leaving all of us gasping for air. This is where a big problem exists. Adderall can cause asthma in people without it. The asthma it usually causes is called exercise-induced asthma. The most effective immediate treatment of this is with alburterol (I think thats how you spell it). It's an inhaler and I usually take 2-3 puffs and it helps, but doesn't restore me 100%. In general, I've never had any other complications with adderall and working out besides adderall, however there has been a few times of hard conditioning where I've come close to fainting and overheating, and even after 20 mins of rest my heart was beating abnormally fast and hard. This is because I pushed myself hardest I've ever done during a long obstacle race and I was still a little drunk from the night before.

Now to apply this to you... When I first started taking adderall and playing I would have taken it at least 3-4 hours before, and then over time (1 year) I started slowly taking it closer and closer to practice. Now I take it every time about 30 minutes before practice at my full dosage. However, I can imagine someone who is just starting on adderall will be more affected than I was. Advice would be, if you wanted to try it, to take it several hours before and then adjust to what suits you best.

Anyway, hope it helps!

ADHD/Lysdexia ()
Been prescribed since the age of 9.
DOB: 12/31/85

Eric

PS: If life gives you lemons, throw them at people.
Old 04-21-08, 04:40 PM

Gerg is on a distinguished road

alright thanks for all the responses! I guess il try it out
Old 04-21-08, 08:45 PM
Jr Member

Robberta is on a distinguished road

The heart rate increase adderall may give you has attention drawn to it because it is not good to be sitting down and relaxing while your heart is pounding away. If your doing cardiovascular exercise your heart should be pounding away, as it needs to distribute oxygen throughout your body.

As for stimulants, heart rate is not the killer in overdose, it's blood pressure. Unless you have a recognized cardiovascular problem, you should be fine.
Old 04-22-08, 05:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

bliss22 is on a distinguished road

I think cardio should be okay, as long as you know your current fitness level, and you start working out wherever you left off.
Don't push yourself harder than you normally do (even if you feel like you're more motivated b/c of the Adderall). Just start at an easy level, and slowly build up your endurance...

Your heart should be fine as long as it's in shape.
Old 04-22-08, 10:35 PM

MissMadness is on a distinguished road

I exercise daily on Adderall. I did however invest in a heart rate monitor watch. I have learned that while on Adderall, my HR can peak much faster before I took medication. I take my cardio very seriously and like to reach my peak fat burning modes. And now I can monitor my HR and my target HR more easily with the watch. I would highly recommend investing in some type of HR monitor/watch if you are going to be exercising on a daily basis. And also keep an eye on your blood pressure. If you don't own a BP monitor at home, you can always stop off @ CVS, Krogers, Etc to check it there on their machine.
Restoril 30mg - Insomnia
Xanax .5 mg as needed for massive Panic
Old 04-23-08, 06:17 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,561 Times in 5,759 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I am on Adderall and exercise - I find the medications work better with cardio exercises than it does when I do not exercise - I take an average of 80mg of Adderall daily and have fro over a decade now - I do not have problems and I am older than most in this discussion. . .

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 05-01-08, 06:06 AM
Jr Member

fennijart is on a distinguished road

If you're worried about cardio making your heart rate go too high, try doing the cardio before you take your first pill of the day. When I decide to do a new exercise that I think might make my heart rate go up more than is comfortable for me, I do the exercise after I wake up, then take my shower and relax for about 10 minutes, then take the pill. Works for me.
Old 01-31-10, 11:54 PM

hjrawl4 is on a distinguished road

I too run with a heart rate monitor, both prior too and after medication (adderall 20mg twice daily). I have noticed an increase of about 15-20% while running the same distance and pace as before. I have also noticed my heart rate rise earlier in my workouts. I am able to complete my regular routine with no diminished performance, but this concerns me as well.
Old 04-30-13, 10:36 AM

saxum finite is on a distinguished road

I agree that a heart rate monitor would be a good investment. You can get some garmin/knockoff garmin running watches that come with a heart rate monitor that hooks up to the watch itself. That comes in handy for me when I'm bicycling or running outside.

I would go in to walgreens or whatever every so often to check your blood pressure though. Blood pressure can go up very high without your experiencing any side effects. Not only that, but it could be low one day and skyrocketing the next which is bad, bad news down the road.

I also agree that if your blood pressure/heart rate becomes an issue that you should maybe develop a strategy around when you take your pill and when you do your cardio... Just make sure it's regimented so you're not throwing your body off. That will hurt your workout, and it will also hurt you.

Another thing I'd like to mention is the importance of making sure you're eating enough and hydrating enough. When I first started taking adderall, I had a tendency to just not eat because nothing sounded appetizing to me/ just wasn't hungry. Now that I do cardio on a daily basis while on adderall I have to pay extra special attention. To make it easier on myself, I made a basic regimented diet plan.

I would also suggest taking a B complex vitamin daily or twice daily. It has a lot of benefits, but particularly for you B complex would help protect your stomach from the abrasion that is caused by things like adderall (also: ibuprofen/other pain meds, alcohol, etc). It also helps boost your metabolism.
Old 04-30-13, 02:44 PM
Jr Member

KeatsEremite is on a distinguished road

I do cardio 5 days a week. Two of which are high intensity Zumba. I've only been on Adderall for 2 months and I've had no issues... honestly it's kept me more focused on losing weight and exercising. I actually enjoy it now, so I HOPE it's ok lol. (Yes, the weight loss since I've started taking Adderall has been much welcomed seeing how I had a gastric bypass 4 years ago and never got to goal)