ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-25-08, 03:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

Five is a jewel in the roughFive is a jewel in the roughFive is a jewel in the rough
Does Adderall relieve your anxiety?

I haven't heard of this being a use or a side effect of Adderall . . .

The biggest effect I see from Adderall is it relieves my anxiety. I'm not talking about the worried, ruminating kind of anxiety. My type of anxiety comes from trying to get the kids around in the morning, making sure errands are run, etc. When I take Adderall, I feel relaxed and at ease. I realize now I have not relaxed in a long time. The change in my mood starts about 30 minutes after taking the Adderall.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else feels this way too.

Five
The Following User Says Thank You to Five For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (03-07-13)
Old 04-25-08, 03:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,785 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Adderall relieve your anxiety?

Absolutely!

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (03-07-13)
Old 04-25-08, 11:20 PM

jenny111 is on a distinguished road

I believe that not to go with medication but with meditation. There is always a side effect of each and every medicines. That can leads towards other diseases too. Watch http://www.rvita.com. Know about alternative therapies. Its really effective for chronic diseases.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-08, 11:39 PM

TierraBella will become famous soon enough

Yes most definitely. I've tried so many anxiety meds...nothing really worked that well. I was on Celexa for a few months before starting Adderall, and I was amazed at the anti-anxiety effect...

My thoughts are the enemy

Dx: ADHD Combined Type, GAD, Panic Disorder
Rx: Adderall 40mg, Celexa 60mg
The Following User Says Thank You to TierraBella For This Useful Post:
Mincan (04-25-08)
Old 04-25-08, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TierraBella View Post
My thoughts are the enemy
Old 04-25-08, 11:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

nikkiana will become famous soon enough

I know it relieves mine... I wouldn't say it's a side effect of the medicine exactly.... It's more that the anxiety I have tends to be very directly related to my ADHD issues... If I can't get things done because I'm constantly being distracted or I'm not sure I'm doing something the right way, I get surges of anxiety... Being on Adderall (or really any sort of ADHD med) treats the root of the issue... the ADHD... where the anxiety is really stemming from.... which is also why if you're undiagnosed ADHD and you're put on anti-anxiety meds, they generally don't do much... The root issue isn't being dealt with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkiana For This Useful Post:
mochi (04-26-08), Sandy4957 (04-26-08)
Old 04-26-08, 04:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

KurtG85 will become famous soon enough

Ya, it helps my mental anxiety/social anxiety... I think, but my obsessiveness over trying to be socially pleasant/desirable, although I'm a lot more able to be so most of the time on the med, is raised significantly as well. It proabably makes me LESS able to focus on a lot of tasks because it makes me almost more socially anxious in a sense. However, because social anxiety is my biggest emotional torture I pretty much worship adderall because it helps me be 1,000 times more socially competent even though it might make me functionally less competent. Ya, its weird, really wish I could figure it out .
Old 04-26-08, 02:28 PM

amg7613 will become famous soon enough

I am much less anxious due to Adderall!!!! I don't think I've ever been this calm! There are other side effects I've had, but the calming one is so great...
Old 04-26-08, 03:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Five is a jewel in the roughFive is a jewel in the roughFive is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your answers! I had never heard anyone else mention this effect and wondered if I was the only one.
Old 04-26-08, 06:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

thehighlndr has a spectacular aura aboutthehighlndr has a spectacular aura about

I got a question...does anyone else feel their anxiety kick in when the Adderall wears off?

I just got up to 40mg today on Adderall XR and split my dosage to 20mg and then another 20mg 2-hours later. I must admit that I felt the reduction in anxiety or the feeling of calmness when the Adderall was working (I have not been taking anything for anxiety lately or had issues with it AFAIK)

So my question is do many people feel a tightening in the chest type feeling of tension and anxiety kicking in when their Adderall wears off, or is it just an early side effect that goes away after being on it longer...I did not have any problems today when the drug was still working. (about 8-hours for each XR dose)

The previous doses (10mg, 20mg, 30mg per day)...did not seem to affect my ADHD that much or deliver the feeling of calm I first felt today. I know we can't be on it all the time or we'd never sleep...just trying to figure this out.
Old 04-26-08, 09:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,309 Times in 595 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

hey Five,
I think you HAVE heard people talk about the calming effect of adderall of other stimulants. When they talk about being able to focus, to concentrate, to not procrastinate, to make decisions, to resist bad impulses--I think they're talking about what you're talking about.

When people talk about being confident, being assertive, decisive, I think they're talking about what you're talking about.

It's just not everyone calls the brain confusion "anxiety." For example, I typically use the term "depression" and almost never use the term "anxiety."

But I think the people for whom adderall works experience pretty much a lot of what you're experiending. At least that's the way I have read their comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Writin' Wrong (05-04-08)
Old 04-27-08, 06:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

KurtG85 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighlndr View Post
I got a question...does anyone else feel their anxiety kick in when the Adderall wears off?

I just got up to 40mg today on Adderall XR and split my dosage to 20mg and then another 20mg 2-hours later. I must admit that I felt the reduction in anxiety or the feeling of calmness when the Adderall was working (I have not been taking anything for anxiety lately or had issues with it AFAIK)

So my question is do many people feel a tightening in the chest type feeling of tension and anxiety kicking in when their Adderall wears off, or is it just an early side effect that goes away after being on it longer...I did not have any problems today when the drug was still working. (about 8-hours for each XR dose)

The previous doses (10mg, 20mg, 30mg per day)...did not seem to affect my ADHD that much or deliver the feeling of calm I first felt today. I know we can't be on it all the time or we'd never sleep...just trying to figure this out.
Well ya, if it helps your anxiety/depression while on it, then your symptoms are going to return when it wears off. Being an amphetamine which agonizes a ton of dopamine and norepinephrene and other chemicals, there is also going to be a come down or crash period when its wearing or worn off. During this period there is even greater anxiety and depression than when you are on nothing at all. Think coffee, energy pills, massive candy binge... etc. This is why its not usually considered an intelligent first choice for trying to help peoples' depression and anxiety issues. For me however, it unfortunately has been the most helpful for my depression. It probably makes my anxiety worse but it gets rid of alot of my panic attacks and ocd symptoms.

The higher the dosage, the more severe the crash (for most people). During the comedown I am very irritable and im only on 5mg. I cant imagine what it would be like at 20mg or higher.

A VERY good point was made by the poster who mentioned that anxiety and depression are hard words to define and hence often hold very different meanings for different people. I have struggled with this for a long time in trying to convey how im doing to doctors or other people in general.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KurtG85 For This Useful Post:
greeeen (03-02-09), thehighlndr (04-27-08), Tiako44 (04-27-08), Writin' Wrong (05-04-08)
Old 04-27-08, 01:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

thehighlndr has a spectacular aura aboutthehighlndr has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtG85 View Post
Well ya, if it helps your anxiety/depression while on it, then your symptoms are going to return when it wears off. Being an amphetamine which agonizes a ton of dopamine and norepinephrene and other chemicals, there is also going to be a come down or crash period when its wearing or worn off. During this period there is even greater anxiety and depression than when you are on nothing at all.
Makes sense...I guess from what I have also read...I have to give it 3-days to 1-week to stabilize my body to the dosage effects and also consider staggering the dose different.

My problem is mostly ADHD, with some moderate depression too, but not really Anxiety/Tension as far as I know.
Old 04-29-08, 03:19 AM

TierraBella will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighlndr View Post

I had some chest tightness at first, but it seems to have subsided now that my body has adjusted to the med.

Dx: ADHD Combined Type, GAD, Panic Disorder
Rx: Adderall 40mg, Celexa 60mg
Old 04-30-08, 07:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

bliss22 is on a distinguished road

Actually, it does.

I usually have a mild level of anxiety... It's like an underlying nervousness that surfaces whenever I have somewhere to go, something to do, or someone to meet (so basically all the time ). I'm naturally a little bit volatile and uneasy... but Adderall usually makes me feel more calm and poised... It makes me feel more comfortable with myself, and more confident in my ability to do things.
So, yeah... I would say that it does relieve my anxiety.

(Notice how I said "usually." ...It hasn't been working so well lately. But usually, it does.)

Quote:
I believe that not to go with medication but with meditation. There is always a side effect of each and every medicines. That can leads towards other diseases too. Watch http://www.rvita.com. Know about alternative therapies. Its really effective for chronic diseases.
^That's really good advice, too.