ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-08, 05:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

MusikGeliebter has disabled reputation
I'm afraid I might get evicted because of being messy!

I'm so ashamed! We had to have maintenance come in for an emergency today and we have fruitflies everywhere and the room the maintenance guy had to work in is Really dirty and now I'm afraid we'll get evicted!

Old 05-06-08, 07:15 PM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of
Re: I'm afraid I might get evicted because of being messy!

Unless your mess has seriously damaged the actual building, structure, wiring, etc, then I wouldn't panic.

I would, however, get someone in there pronto to help you get that mess under control. If nothing else, it's unhealthy and only adding to your ADD condition.

If you have damaged any of the building either by mold, plaster damage (holes, etc.), electrical damage, etc. be prepared to get it fixed and if your landlord comes to you, offer to fix it before he yells eviction.

Getting the mess under control should be your priority right now. You're ashamed and frankly, that won't go away. Another day will come when someone has to get in there, and unless you do something, that mess will be worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeloresMelon For This Useful Post:
MusikGeliebter (05-17-08)
Old 05-07-08, 05:57 AM
Forum Guru

reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all

I had this kind of trouble, google 'squalorsurvivors org' there's a ton of helpful support and info over there at that site.
where do I start, where do I begin?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reesah For This Useful Post:
MusikGeliebter (05-17-08), sloppitty-sue (05-08-08), thehighlndr (05-09-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-08, 06:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,164 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusikGeliebter View Post
I'm so ashamed! We had to have maintenance come in for an emergency today and we have fruitflies everywhere and the room the maintenance guy had to work in is Really dirty and now I'm afraid we'll get evicted!

my advice..
CLEAN up..quickly...don't use ADD as an excuse to live in squalor

...call for help, a friend maybe, a roommate???
A cleaning person???

a rubbish bin....if you knew they were coming, even in an emergency, you could have cleaned and sprayed the flies..I mean, how quick to maintenance men ever turn up????

CHINESE PROVERB
The Following User Says Thank You to ~boots~ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-08, 07:06 AM

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all

Quote:

been there done that. As del stated unless your mess has damaged the bulding or if it is such that you are atracting pests then there is little danger of being eficted, but this does not mean that this is any less embarassing for you. I really wish i had some great advice to give you that would make it so you would be neat and tidy from now on, if i did i would be that way myself. all i can say is set aside a day a week to really really clean, that may help.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
The Following User Says Thank You to lunaslobo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-08, 05:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,011 Times in 579 Posts
Asylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud of

This week I cleaned my house to spotless perfection. I did it like this:
Cleaned up all the clutter (put everything in its place)
Threw away stuff that needed to go - an entire carload that went to the dump.
Dusted everything.
Cleaned all the walls. (I stuck a soft tea-towel over a broom to clean the 'high half.')
Cleaned the wet areas.
Vacumed.
Cleaned up outside.
I've got a cold and feel not great about life at the mo, so if i can do it you can. I actually had a house inspection, so there was motivation, but you have motivation too, because you don't want this situation to happen again, you don't want to get evicted and you deserve to live better.
Dwelling on what happened, feeling bad and not doing anything is not constructive - and i promise you will feel much, much better about you when you get the place into shape. It will also give you a clean slate to learn new living habits. You deserve to live comfortably, so get to it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Asylum For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-08, 06:05 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,702 Times in 5,818 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
'm so ashamed! We had to have maintenance come in for an emergency today and we have fruitflies everywhere and the room the maintenance guy had to work in is Really dirty and now I'm afraid we'll get evicted!

Wow you have emergence maintenance people - that actually show up and fix stuff before you move out?

I have heard of emergency maintenance people that actually fix crap but thought they were just another urban myth.

Is cleanliness part of your lease?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-08, 07:02 AM
Forum Guru

reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all

it's like telling someone with depression to cheer up n get over it... when you have real issues with squalor [no matter how mild or how intense] there are certain ways to compensate, but it's not as simple as 'just clean up' or 'what's wrong with you' or 'here's a handy cleaning hint'... it's pretty serious, if it's embarrassing or you've got fruit flies/mice etc, that's a real problem and it's not so easy to fix..i've totally been there. the squalor survivors site helped SO much. it's something you can fix and nothing to be ashamed of. being shamed about the mess is a big reason people with this problem don't seek help; as folks with add y'all ought to be aware of how negative replies can make someone feel. [nobody specific and not meant unkindly, just trying to keep the judgments less severe is all].can you do at least a small task a day? if you can get even one area clean [relatively] that helps motivate- is there anyone you trust to help, who won't make you feel worse about it?how's things going?you probably won't Be evicted, but you should maybe get things together enough that you're not scared of people coming over
where do I start, where do I begin?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reesah For This Useful Post:
MusikGeliebter (05-17-08), sloppitty-sue (05-08-08), thehighlndr (05-09-08)
Old 05-08-08, 07:43 AM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

reesah, I totally agree with you. That degree can be debilitating.

However, patting MusikGeliebter on the back and saying "there there" isn't going to do much more than flutter the dust. Now, perhaps you know more of MusikGeliebter's situation that the rest of us, but I didn't get squalor and debilitating issues from the original post.

I've been embarrassed for company to come and had fruit flies more times than I can shake a stick at. One simple banana peel left in an open garbage bin draws them like... er... flies. My house has been fairly dirty. It's wouldn't even remotely pass for squalor. But I have felt hopeless and like I'd never get anything done. I hate to seem glib, but having my mom simply there and redirect me when I lost track would make a world of difference, pre-ADD med. NOW, I'm on meds and it's not really an issue.

If there's a real underlying issue then definitely seek help in that area and there are folks that specialize in working with people who simply cannot get out of squalor like conditions.

If you're house is dirty because you have ADD and can't get the mojo going (which was my issue for the past forever), then call someone to help kick you in the...er... motivate you.

Doing nothing, however, but dwelling on it, will do just what you'd expect.

Old 05-08-08, 11:16 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,011 Times in 579 Posts
Asylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud ofAsylum has much to be proud of

Let me just point out that i have ADD, i have a problem with my house getting in states that it shouldn't be in. (I don't want to go into details.) The only thing that fixes this problem is fixing the problem.
Problem: You're house is messy.
Solution: Clean it.
This is in no way meant to be judgy - i would never judge Musik, i only have empathy. Hence my heartfelt posts in trying to help her. If i didn't care and didn't empathise i wouldn't write this post which will probably cause me to cop flack. This is not saying 'Cheer up' to a depressed person - which i've experienced more times than i need to. Depressed people can't cheer up any more than a manic person can respond to 'Hey, calm down!' A person with ADD can, however, get their house clean if thier arms and legs are working. To tell yourself 'I can't clean my house up because i have ADD,' is underestimating yourself to a degree which is painfull for me to think about! We're not completely at the mercy of this disorder, we are not stupid, we are not illogical. If you're house is so messy you are worried about consequences the only thing to do is clean it. Or if you have the money, hire someone to clean it. And hey, if anyone has any other solutions, feel free to offer them!
I have no access to medication, i have no support, have a problem with depression, have terrible organisational skills and terrible self-motivation. But I'm not a bunch of labels and diagnosis, i'm an entire person and there's so much more to me, which i why i can get the job done when i need to and why i wouldn't insult Musik by saying 'You have ADD, there is nothing you can do about this problem.' If she can't clean her house up with the threat (real or not) of eviction hanging over her head then maybe there's other things going on like depression or poor health.
As its said in The Weatherman: (Fantastic movie!) 'Easy doesn't factor into grownup life.' Sometimes you just need to get the job done.
Anyway, isn't cleaning a house easier than having to pack everything up and move - which would then lead you to having to clean up anyway?? Where is common sense in all of this?
Get to it Musik - make that house your b*tch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Asylum For This Useful Post:
DeloresMelon (05-09-08), texasmissb (05-08-08), Zuzu (05-09-08)
Old 05-09-08, 02:06 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 750 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/Photo056.jpg

it's not like we want to be this way..

Syd Barrett
The Following User Says Thank You to SuzzanneX For This Useful Post:
sloppitty-sue (05-11-08)
Old 05-09-08, 03:14 AM

Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,006 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Unless either cleanliness is implied in your lease, or your mess is causing damage to the house (rot, mould, rust, vermin, pets etc) then you'll more than likely get a notice to remedy. But having said that, I'm not familiar with tenancy laws in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Wow you have emergence maintenance people - that actually show up and fix stuff before you move out?

I have heard of emergency maintenance people that actually fix crap but thought they were just another urban myth.
In Australia, agents are required to perform emergency repairs within a legislated timeline (I'm not sure of details). But I know for regular repairs they have 28 days to perform them.
Old 05-09-08, 06:58 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
Let me just point out that i have ADD, i have a problem with my house getting in states that it shouldn't be in. (I don't want to go into details.) The only thing that fixes this problem is fixing the problem.
Problem: You're house is messy.
Solution: Clean it.
This is in no way meant to be judgy - i would never judge Musik, i only have empathy. Hence my heartfelt posts in trying to help her. If i didn't care and didn't empathise i wouldn't write this post which will probably cause me to cop flack. This is not saying 'Cheer up' to a depressed person - which i've experienced more times than i need to. Depressed people can't cheer up any more than a manic person can respond to 'Hey, calm down!' A person with ADD can, however, get their house clean if thier arms and legs are working. To tell yourself 'I can't clean my house up because i have ADD,' is underestimating yourself to a degree which is painfull for me to think about! We're not completely at the mercy of this disorder, we are not stupid, we are not illogical. If you're house is so messy you are worried about consequences the only thing to do is clean it. Or if you have the money, hire someone to clean it. And hey, if anyone has any other solutions, feel free to offer them!
I have no access to medication, i have no support, have a problem with depression, have terrible organisational skills and terrible self-motivation. But I'm not a bunch of labels and diagnosis, i'm an entire person and there's so much more to me, which i why i can get the job done when i need to and why i wouldn't insult Musik by saying 'You have ADD, there is nothing you can do about this problem.' If she can't clean her house up with the threat (real or not) of eviction hanging over her head then maybe there's other things going on like depression or poor health.
As its said in The Weatherman: (Fantastic movie!) 'Easy doesn't factor into grownup life.' Sometimes you just need to get the job done.
Anyway, isn't cleaning a house easier than having to pack everything up and move - which would then lead you to having to clean up anyway?? Where is common sense in all of this?
Get to it Musik - make that house your b*tch.
Dude you RAWK!!

Old 05-09-08, 08:21 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,702 Times in 5,818 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In Australia, agents are required to perform emergency repairs within a legislated timeline (I'm not sure of details). But I know for regular repairs they have 28 days to perform them
I am officially jealous. . . .

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 05-09-08, 11:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

thehighlndr has a spectacular aura aboutthehighlndr has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: I'm afraid I might get evicted because of being messy!

I am somewhere inbetween the posters on here. First take a look at this:
http://www.millsconsulting.com/MFT/hoardclutter.html

If you've never had any issues with "Hoarding and Clutter" then I may question your ADHD street cred.

As I know you have all read my nice link in full we can see that two things are true:
1) If you are ADHD with this symptom...it is not so easy to just snap out of it and your procrastination problems raise their head too. Treat the disease (ADHD, Depression, etc.) and then treat the symptoms.
That doesn't mean you have a license to do nothing until you are cured (not likely), but you may need help or more help with your real root cause and the behavior related to it.
2) Breaking the job into smaller parts and maybe getting some help is a good idea, but if you actually read my link and relate as I did emotionally...you can see it isn't going to be that easy.
Full disclosure:

I come from a family that I am pretty certain that all members of my immediate family suffer from undiagnosed ADHD. (plus Borderline Personality Disorder in my Mother & Sister) Either way ...we are all definitely pack rats and it isn't easy.

I have three things that sitting here
looking around that have long been hoarded. (from least to most problematic):
3) Computer components that quickly become obsolete. I have no idea why I like certain unique components, why no one has asked me or found it cool that I have video & sound cards that will work directly in ancient DOS Games or even Win3.1, and also work in WinXP, or why I have far more components than operating machines. Blown far too much money in the past on this...in the fastest depreciating and almost immediately obsolete products on the planet.

2) Magazines, articles...even old Comics that I swear I threw out. I don't even know if I read half the magazines, but I think all magazines should give you free access to all their stuff online with subscription....then I could toss with more comfort.

1) Paper: You name it, receipts, notes, probably old exams, stuff from work, schedules from long ago, etc. ...far too many piles and piles of random paper.
Now if you were paying attention(ironic pun) #3 sucked up that impulsive spending money and contributed to the hoarding too. (a twofer)

#1's biggest problem is that there are huge amounts of paper that has to be individually checked one at a time (most thrown out, but that one important piece might be floating around in there) I did this before I moved a year ago and after with a little help, but I still have a lot to go through (even beyond 1-3) and I stupidly have to shred most of my work papers. (I have a very nice one beside me in a a box )

I was really behind on my taxes last year...well multiple years...and there was this one stock loss that when carried forward wiped out 3-years worth of taxes. (I only owed for Capital Gains) I tried the trading company...no luck, etc. Knew I saved it...eventually found it and all my original other missing tax stuff and now have 8-years in their own big envelopes.

I am currently starting to cope with my recent ADHD and Moderate Depression diagnosis and apply as many behavior techniques I can along with my meds....and by no means can I give advice as someone who has got their stuff together now.

But I too have had and am having issues with shame in my messy place, though not as messy as some I would guess.

So I would ask my fellow forum members to try and avoid the hint of scorn to the Op or others like us/you.

From my link it says:

"Rule number two is to reject the shame associated with your trouble. It blocks your asking for help and your realistic appraisal of what you are up against. Don't wait for magic. Don't just try harder. Refer back to rule number one and join in with others."

What is Rule#1: Get help!

I of course wish I went to the doctor 3-6 months ago(or was diagnosed 16-years ago) and wish the SSRI would kick in faster now, but one day at a time....survive and then thrive!

P.S. I need a signature, but I am procrastinating on that too
The Following User Says Thank You to thehighlndr For This Useful Post:
sloppitty-sue (05-11-08)