ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 01-14-09, 06:12 PM

amandave will become famous soon enough
Re: Vyvanse & Depression

I went off 100mg Strattera + 20mg Methylin two months ago and switched over to Vyvanse 30mg. I'm just thankful my Dr. didn't know about the 20mg because I am sure he would have put me on it first.

First 3 days of Vyvanse was great but I think this was also because I has the Straterra in my system. After three days I had no focus. Needless to say it was a bad month.

The next month I go to see the doc and he was in a bad mood. I had to wash the four letter words out of my ears when I left. He wasn't mad toward me but his attitude was making me feel uncomfortable. He called the pharmacist to find out how long Vyvanse is supposed to last. After realizing that 30mg may not be enough he gave prescribed the 40.

40 was good for about two days. I am currently getting ready to fail two online classes. In a panic I decided to take some Strattera that I have from months ago with my Vyvanse. I have been able to get more done and I don't sit around the house worrying about every little detail about why my life sucks.

Class ends in a few days and I am going to quit taking the Straterra. I hope he moves me up to 50mg and I hope 50mg works. This is beginning to become a problem. Without the Strattera I have anxiety issues. I quit taking the Straterra because of the unwanted side effects. I really don't know what to do.
Old 02-07-09, 06:39 AM

kkslider is on a distinguished road

the most frustrating aspect of the medication, definitely. i can deal with anxiety during the day and occasionally confusing people by being overly talkative and acting somewhat strange, but the depression and frustration that comes every evening comparable to a severe depression i faced years ago and thought was a part of my past is the absolute worst. i wish i could figure out a way to combat it, but as vyvanse has been the only effective add drug i've taken since i was diagnosed over a decade ago, i'm too afraid to risk it.
Old 02-12-09, 09:11 AM

RobbieP is on a distinguished road

I just switched from Vyvanse for similar reasons as I have posted some previously here. In two months I moved from 30MG to 50MG of Vyvanse with minimal results but significant depression like symptoms. I would have a great hour of "feeling super", however that feeling quickly disappeared and the depression sank in for hours.

I decided to change doctors and I felt much more comfortable with my second doctor just in the number and types of questions asked. I moved to 36MG of Concerta & moving my way up in dose with Stratera to help any of the depression like symptoms. The combination works great for me although I'm still not sure where I could or should be with the Concerta. I definitely have the energy, but I do not seem to have a whole lot of focus which was also the case with the Vyvanse.

I'm sure it will take more than 3 months to find the right levels/combination, but this is a step in the right direction for me as a feel much better 24/7.

Best of luck!

Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieP For This Useful Post:
AnnaBanana85 (05-14-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-09, 06:52 PM

brownie527 is on a distinguished road

I have been on Vyvanse for about a month I take 140 mg per day. I work a very high pressure high stress job that pushes me sometimes beyond by breaking point. This seems to be the only kinda job I dont get bored at so I do it. I started to take meds again a few months ago to help me focus and be more productive. I took Rit for years when I was younger but went off meds. Last month I was on the Aderroll and that works well but my dr insisted on Vyvase saying it would help me multi task much better. For the fews couple weeks it worked amazing. I would go the entire day without stopping and got so much done. I would smile and feel so in control. Recently I have started to get down and sad over things. I get edgy and moody. I thought perhaps its because I dont eat all day that this is happening. But today it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was sitting in my car thinking about my life. I started to feel alone and that I was failing in life. Mind you i do live alone and I work on Average 70 hours a week. I felt like I was in a dark tunnel of emotions and I was starting to lose a grip on myself. I have never had depression however this feels like from what I hear could be it. I am going to stop taking this meds. I was on Adderoll short acting 20 mg 2 to 3 times a day and it worked well. But I noticed sometimes that I got chest pains from it. Does anyone else get that? What else would be nice? Should I go back to the rit? It always worked well. The Addy IR? Help if you can thanks!
Old 02-26-09, 06:53 PM

brownie527 is on a distinguished road

did my dr give me to much?? I use to take 20 mg adderoll now on 140mg vyvanse
Old 02-26-09, 07:02 PM
Jr Member

tomtom is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Vyvanse & Depression

I take 10mg lexapro I'm the morning with 50mg vyvanae, then 50mg more vyvanse at 1pm. This has been for two weeks. I feel better and sleep much better. Loving vyvanse this is my first ADD med so I don't have anything to compare.
Old 05-07-09, 08:20 AM

robin87 is on a distinguished road

I have been prescribed Vyvanse for a short time now, and I do like it minus the "crash", which several others have addressed. I am more productive, and can finally focus on one thing and not be distracted and restless feeling like i have to get up and move all the time.

About and hour, maybe 2 after I take the pill (50mg), I feel extremely giddy and talkative-I end up having a lot of heart-to-hearts I feel like. This is getting less intense as I grow tolerant to the medicine I think. This time is also probably the time I feel most lighthearted and happy during the day with Vyvanse. I would say that feeling lasts for about 2 hours, maybe 3 for me.

However, occassionally around evening, I find myself extremely down. Not depressed more of just a weird mediocre feeling for about an hour or 2. It's really annoying, and i worry a lot at that point about stupid stuff. It is helpful to remind myself that I am not truly upset about anything, it is just the medication making me antsy. I get pretty quiet, and sometimes friends of mine ask if I'm alright. Awhile back I left a movie that I had been finding amazing out of the blue because I could not stop thinking about how much I wanted it to be over and how long it had been on. Very weird feeling.

Of course, it will definitely keep you awake if you take it too late. The earlier taken the better unless you're planning on a restless night!

Despite the weird sadness that I occassionally experience on Vyvanse, I am quite happy with my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to robin87 For This Useful Post:
The Absent Mind (10-28-09)
Old 07-03-09, 03:01 PM

MommaMel is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am very new to this forum and just found this thread. Although I am 31, I was only recently diagnosed with ADHD in January. I have always suspected I struggled with the disorder and finally approached my doctor when I began a new and very demanding job. He put me on 30 mg of Vyvanse to begin with and it has changed my life. I wish I had spoken up years ago! HOWEVER, he gave me strict instructions to only take it on days I work, typically Mon-Fri. Last month we bumped up my dosage to 40mg. I usually take it at about 6 in the morning. I have also struggled with wicked anxiety all of my life but stopped taking Zoloft 2 years ago when I was pregnant. I hate the side effects of anti depressants! I work about 55 hours a week and also stay home with my two small children...you can imagine my stress level is through the roof. Lately I have been crashing shortly after noon but even before I really feel the crash my anxiety will become almost debilitating. I honestly feel as if I am on the verge of a full blown panic attack (tight chest, hyperventilation, shaking, light head, racing heart) which is terrifying while having my kids home with me. Then comes the crash....depression, accompanied by physical symptoms of disorientation, exhaustion and just feeling like crap. I am fairly young and I will feel like I am 70 years old....no energy what so ever. My mother is telling me to talk to my doctor about it but he is so conservative so I fear he will want to take me off medication all together. This medication has helped me tremendously on the focusing and being productive, that I don't want to risk it. He told me that Vyvanse is alot smoother compared to Adderall, etc so I don't even think he would switch me over to something else. And I don't have anything to compare this medication with since its my first one. Anyone have any thoughts or advice on how to deal with this??? I am almost desperate since I really cannot continue to feel this way...this isn't how to live and I worry that its affecting my kids.

Thank you!
Old 07-03-09, 03:20 PM

jadedmamajess will become famous soon enough

interesting, in the evening when I know my meds are gone, I have been feeling very depressed and alone, just wanting to sleep the rest of the day off...

I was being treated for depression with the Vyvanse, but last week asked my dr if I could stop taking the antidepressant on a trial basis.

Last night, I remember saying to myself, "I just want it to end.... I can't deal." Maybe I need to get back on the antidepressant again. :/
Old 07-06-09, 01:48 PM

burman is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Vyvanse & Depression

I suggest talking to your pdoc about the possibly of taking an SSRI, like Zoloft or Celexa, to supplement your Vyvanse. I've had great luck with both SSRI's. No side effects.
I suffer from anxiety. Vyvanse has helped my anxiety considerably. I also take Zoloft for depression.
I take 100 mg of Zoloft with 40mg Vyvanse around 8AM. I take both meds with a 20 gram protien drink. I eat half of a 30mg protien bar around 4 hours later and I get approximately 11 hours of coverage with no crash and I sleep like a baby. Of course, I eat periodically after I eat the protien bar because I do get very hungry on Vyvanse.
I was on Adderall SR for almost 2 years and had to quit because I couldn't deal with the crashes and only sleeping around 4 - 5 hours a day during my work week. I took Adderall SR (35mg) once a day about an hour and a half before work. It would last just long enough for me to be effective at my job. I never took the second dose.
After I would get off work, I drink a Starbucks coffee or have a regular coke to get me through the rest of the day because I usually have a lot of things on my plate daily. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to burman For This Useful Post:
The Absent Mind (10-28-09)
Old 07-06-09, 03:35 PM

wilhelm is on a distinguished road

because vyvanse increases focus, focus your energy on being positive! trust me it works!! I was more fearful at first, not so much depressed. It actually got rid of my depression because i feel so much smarter and able to succeed at things
Old 07-08-09, 04:55 PM

katerbrig is on a distinguished road

I have the crash as well, but I have found that taking 100mg of a mood stablizer, like Lamictal, along with my vyvanse, seems to cushion the fall a bit.
Old 07-08-09, 05:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

tomlinson has a spectacular aura abouttomlinson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie527 View Post
did my dr give me to much?? I use to take 20 mg adderoll now on 140mg vyvanse
I'm on 70mg of Vyvanse.

My pdoc moved me up to 120mg. I found it to be too much.
Felt like I was locked in a mental "zone" all day that was unnatural and, at the end of the day, exhausting.

Went back to 70mg, with a few Adderall 10mg IR for the evening when the Vyvanse begins to wear off, and to "spike" the Vyvanse during the day if needed.

This combination has been working pretty well.
Old 07-11-09, 03:04 AM

fairtex is on a distinguished road

ok guys...... here we go. I've studied indocrenology aswell as exercise science for years. I have competed in competative bodybuilding and have batteled with adhd since childhood. I've tried addy xr 20mg and am currently on vyvanse 30 mg.(med)

y all these feelings of depression while on these meds????
there are a few likely reasons that may b easily solved.
First u have to understand a stimulant and what exactly it does to ur mind and body.

1. diet
Obviously its gonna decrease ur appetite
if uve ever competed in bodybuilding r have carb cut for any other reason.. i need say no more... u allready what im about to say.

if ur not eating on the med.... which alot of peep r not..... ur body gets carb depleted aswell as many other nutrient difficiencies.
see the med decreases ur appetite and u dnt eat. when infact u actually need more nourishment than normal. because the stimulant property while making u less hungry is actually making ur body burn more energy.. a.k.a. ...calories...a.k.a. food.
this makes one highly irritable. withdrawn, causes headaches and even depression and since of worthlessness.

If this isnt your problem. please contact me and ill explaine all other possible reasons aswell as how to possibly solve this.

as far as people having to constantly increase dosages and taking multiples in a day. while diet may b part of the problem its for more in depth for you and some of the others.

The patient is just ill informed. It s not deciet or even misleading, the fact is most family docs and general practitioners dnt fully understand how the med works.... asfar as hormonal effects and chemical changes in the brain.

but the depression can b beatn

(please) if you have children on med please rem they may not always express their feelings of depression to you or to neone. keep an eye on them and watch for any changescin mood.....(specifically lack of drive and interest in things they r normally passionate about)

having said this i think vyvanse is a wonderful med and by becoming educated and fully understanding how it works it has done wonders for me.
Old 07-20-09, 07:18 PM

Mizdezigner is on a distinguished road

I know that feeling in the evening and to me its kind of stupid. Like, I feel teary eyed and so sad but I am like why? Like right now i want to cry like my best friend died or something. The thing is I suffer from depression too and I know that this feels different than regular depression. Regular depression is just blah, no motivation, no positives in life, no energy, etc....Right now its just like the feeling you have when you just got the call somebody died suddenly, like surreal and saddened. Its weird to explain because I mean to me I just feel real sensitive. I find it helps though to talk to people and stay sociable, watch something funny, listen to lil wayne (yeah horrible but at least you will laugh). It's weird because I find I can easily get out of the mood with a good laugh.

I wonder if its because I also don't eat. Like I don't know why but I can just slack on eating. Like I ate twice this morning before i took my meds (2 bowls of cereal) and haven't eaten since. It's like, "I should probably eat but I'll get to it later". Now its 7 and i don't really want to eat anything but i will probably order a pizza or something that i always love to eat regardless of appetite.

Reading the above post I will try to eat more tomorrow and see if it improves my mood. Maybe my blood sugar is just low.