ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-08, 01:31 AM
Jr Member

CatInTheHat is on a distinguished road
Question New here with questions

Hello Everyone!

I just joined this forum in hopes to get some answers to a few questions.
I'm a mom of 3 boys and my oldest son (7) has been diagnosed with ADHD last week.
I have been diagnosed with Bipolar about a year ago and it has been a challenge to find the right meds for me. Anyway, after my son has been diagnosed, I was doing some research and stumbled across this site. http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd...t_symptoms.htm

The symptoms for adult ADHD on this website represent me so much! I actually think I fit this description MUCH better than the bipolar. I seriously started crying because I'm upset that NOBODY has figured out that I might have that for 31 years. My question is, are those symptoms on that site accurate? I know that Bipolar and ADHD are so alike but I still think I have ADHD.
I also started seeing a new psychologist about 3 weeks ago. I spoke with him only twice so far and he said he didn't think I was bipolar. He said he wants to see me one more time before making a diagnosis and prescribe something. He didn't say what he thought I might have. Should I tell him about this or should I see what he says before I tell him what i think? I guess I'm curious of his opinion without alternating it with mine. All I know is that I really need to be on some meds. My temper and anger is really getting worse and is my main problem. So, what do you think? I really appraciate any input. Thank you!
Old 05-26-08, 12:29 PM
Contributor

SfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New here with questions

Yes, by all means you should say what you are thinking. You are the subject and you know yourself best. A diagnosis is based on the information that you provide, so you should be as forth coming as possible. If you are withholding information then you shouldn't expect the clinician to make a reasonable diagnosis.
Old 05-26-08, 01:45 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfumatoPants View Post
Yes, by all means you should say what you are thinking. You are the subject and you know yourself best. A diagnosis is based on the information that you provide, so you should be as forth coming as possible. If you are withholding information then you shouldn't expect the clinician to make a reasonable diagnosis.

Thank you. I wasn't really going to withold the info, just wanted to see if I gave him all my symptoms, if he would come up with ADHD. If he didn't I was going to suggest to him that I think I have that, specially since my son has it. And thinking about it deeper, I'm positive my mom has it as well. I'm sorry if I made it sound like I wasn't going to tell him. I'm from germany and may not word it all correctly.
Thank you, again!
Old 05-26-08, 10:42 PM
Jr Member

I'm still really curious, are those symptoms accurate on this site, the ones in the blue on the bottom? http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd...t_symptoms.htm
Please someone tell me.
Old 05-26-08, 11:03 PM
Contributor

MECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to all

Hi Cat!

I clicked your link, and it didn't go to the page I think you wanted. So, I got the main page, and went to Adult ADD/ADHD symptoms. Does that sound right?

In my opinion, those are very accurate symptoms. Sometimes the things that are listed, if they are severe enough, can look like bipolar disorder. When somone is getting manic (meaning their mood is swinging up) or depressed (their mood is swinging down), they experience many of the same things. I know folks with severe ADHD who were diagnosed with bipolar and it was found wrong later on. I also know people who were told they had severe ADHD, and found out they had bipolar disorder. I also know people who have both.

I am not telling you that because I think you are wrong. I do not want to discourage you, or make you worry even more. I wanted to tell you so you might find some comfort. It makes sense that you could look at this and find it makes more sense to you. It may be that other people saw the behaviors and missed the diagnosis. It is very frustrating, I know. But, maybe it helps to know that there was a reason why they made the mistake. I also think it is fair to note it, in case the doctor thinks that both make sense for some reason. It is possible, and both are treatable.

If you think you have ADHD, then talk with your doctor. The right diagnosis means you can make choices that will help you. That could be meds, or therapy, or a bunch of other things! I know you are worried, but please take comfort in the fact that you are doing a good thing. The sooner you know what you are dealing with, the sooner you can make choices that will help you cope.

I wish you all the best! Please keep us posted, okay?

Take care,
Emmie
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MECMR For This Useful Post:
CatInTheHat (05-27-08), Mary (05-26-08), newfdog (05-27-08), SfumatoPants (05-27-08)
Old 05-26-08, 11:51 PM

Thanked 10,080 Times in 3,172 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

Just as an FYI,

There's an empirically ( research) supported "one way comorbidity " between Bipolar Disorder & ADHD ( i.e., over 90% of children/adolescents with Pediatric Bipolar Disorder also have ADHD, while the opposite isn't true).

The reference is Barbara Geller (2003 ).

Hope that helps

tc
mctavish23
(Robert)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
CatInTheHat (05-27-08), Mary (05-26-08)
Old 05-27-08, 12:26 AM
Jr Member

Thank you so much for this, Emmie! It was very helpful! Hugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECMR View Post
Hi Cat!

I clicked your link, and it didn't go to the page I think you wanted. So, I got the main page, and went to Adult ADD/ADHD symptoms. Does that sound right?

In my opinion, those are very accurate symptoms. Sometimes the things that are listed, if they are severe enough, can look like bipolar disorder. When somone is getting manic (meaning their mood is swinging up) or depressed (their mood is swinging down), they experience many of the same things. I know folks with severe ADHD who were diagnosed with bipolar and it was found wrong later on. I also know people who were told they had severe ADHD, and found out they had bipolar disorder. I also know people who have both.

I am not telling you that because I think you are wrong. I do not want to discourage you, or make you worry even more. I wanted to tell you so you might find some comfort. It makes sense that you could look at this and find it makes more sense to you. It may be that other people saw the behaviors and missed the diagnosis. It is very frustrating, I know. But, maybe it helps to know that there was a reason why they made the mistake. I also think it is fair to note it, in case the doctor thinks that both make sense for some reason. It is possible, and both are treatable.

If you think you have ADHD, then talk with your doctor. The right diagnosis means you can make choices that will help you. That could be meds, or therapy, or a bunch of other things! I know you are worried, but please take comfort in the fact that you are doing a good thing. The sooner you know what you are dealing with, the sooner you can make choices that will help you cope.

I wish you all the best! Please keep us posted, okay?

Take care,
Emmie
Old 05-27-08, 12:27 AM
Jr Member

This really helps to know! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
Just as an FYI,

There's an empirically ( research) supported "one way comorbidity " between Bipolar Disorder & ADHD ( i.e., over 90% of children/adolescents with Pediatric Bipolar Disorder also have ADHD, while the opposite isn't true).

The reference is Barbara Geller (2003 ).

Hope that helps

tc
mctavish23
(Robert)
Old 05-27-08, 01:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

Location: Mountlake Terrace, Washington, USA, World, Solar System
AnalogDog has a spectacular aura aboutAnalogDog has a spectacular aura about

You should have been there when I told the prescribing MD that I had at the time when I told him that I thought I had ADHD.

No, he said, its probably just some childhood memories that are still unresolved.

I replyed that I understood that there were some tests I could take that would find out if I were or not. He left, and came back with some copies to bring to my next appointment.

Looking at them, I saw they were simplified tests, and saw I ranked pretty high. I see him, and he says that I am marginal, but he will put me on Strattera.

I left him, and found another doctor that actually understood ADHD and adults. And yes, it is a strange moment to realize that you have been suffering for years with thoughts that you could not explain to anyone because you knew something was not right. Heck since that doc, I have had many emotional times when I realize that something has not fit all my life, and there it is, I was barking up the wrong tree.

Up until recently, it seems that my life has been one giant OOPS! In every area of my life. The wrong career, the wrong way of talking, the wrong way of thinking about things. The wrong friends, and so on, I mean everything in the past 45 years was something I screwed up.

Take it easy on yourself. Get properly diagnosed by asking about good doctors that can help, then follow their recommendations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AnalogDog For This Useful Post:
CatInTheHat (05-27-08), Mary (05-27-08), newfdog (05-27-08)
Old 05-27-08, 10:53 AM
Jr Member

Thank you! This gives me lots of hope. I appreciate that you shared your story.
I have PTSD as well. Just noticed in your siggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDog View Post
You should have been there when I told the prescribing MD that I had at the time when I told him that I thought I had ADHD.

No, he said, its probably just some childhood memories that are still unresolved.

I replyed that I understood that there were some tests I could take that would find out if I were or not. He left, and came back with some copies to bring to my next appointment.

Looking at them, I saw they were simplified tests, and saw I ranked pretty high. I see him, and he says that I am marginal, but he will put me on Strattera.

I left him, and found another doctor that actually understood ADHD and adults. And yes, it is a strange moment to realize that you have been suffering for years with thoughts that you could not explain to anyone because you knew something was not right. Heck since that doc, I have had many emotional times when I realize that something has not fit all my life, and there it is, I was barking up the wrong tree.

Up until recently, it seems that my life has been one giant OOPS! In every area of my life. The wrong career, the wrong way of talking, the wrong way of thinking about things. The wrong friends, and so on, I mean everything in the past 45 years was something I screwed up.

Take it easy on yourself. Get properly diagnosed by asking about good doctors that can help, then follow their recommendations.

Last edited by CatInTheHat; 05-27-08 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: because i can't spell
Old 05-27-08, 11:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Cat.. print out the list... and check mark your symptoms.. take it with you to the appointment. What could it hurt?

Be open with him and tell him that you feel it's a possibility that this is what is causing your troubles.

As Robert (mctavish) posted, bipolar and adhd sometimes go hand in hand... I call it cohabitating... instead of comorbidity, lol

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mary For This Useful Post:
CatInTheHat (05-27-08)
Old 05-27-08, 02:32 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Cat.. print out the list... and check mark your symptoms.. take it with you to the appointment. What could it hurt?

Be open with him and tell him that you feel it's a possibility that this is what is causing your troubles.

As Robert (mctavish) posted, bipolar and adhd sometimes go hand in hand... I call it cohabitating... instead of comorbidity, lol
Thank you, Mary. I have a list ready because I would just simply for get everything. I'm just worried he won't agree with me. Not that I have the impression that he will, but from my misdiagnosed history, I don't trust doctors. lol
Old 05-27-08, 02:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

You're welcome.. it has to be worth a try. I hope it goes well.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.