ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-08, 02:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
2 meds questions (scenarios)

I have 2 meds questions related to my current scenarios.

Here they are:

1. Lexapro / Zoloft:

I'm currently on Lexapro 20mg/day. It does help relieve my depression and anxiety but I'm still getting breakthrough panic attacks. I don't have them the way I use to, but when I get one, it's usually some pain, dizziness, and a feeling of faint. From what I can remember, I didn't have breakthrough symptoms on Zoloft (100mg/day). Only problem is Zoloft can make me agitated and irritable which I don't want to happen again. I feel my anti-psychotic my help with the agitation. What should I do? Stay on lexapro and have breakthrough symptoms of anxiety or take the zoloft, which fully relieves them, and risk getting agitated again?

2. Zyprexa Zydis / Abilify Discmelt

As some know, I'm currently taking Zyprexa Zydis 5mg/day. With Zyprexa, I am still getting some side effects. The worst one (though not too bad,... yet) is weight gain. I've gone from a size 32 to 34 and now the 34s are starting to get a bit tight. I'm also getting some regurgitation in my mouth (not sure what's causing that). It's hard for me to get up in the morning. Before zyprexa I would be able to get up and go @ 7am. Now I'm asleep until 9 - 10 and it takes about 15 minutes to get myself up and going. One time I slept till 11:30am. Because of the sleeping late, I think it's affecting my ability to get to sleep at night. I go to bed between 10 - 11pm. In addition (though I hate to be gross), it's hard to go #2. I'm like forcinig it to come out. I also think zyprexa is increasing my anxiety levels slightly. Now, the zyprexa (dispite all this) is doing good. I'm not irritable, screaming or hollering, or yelling @ my mom. Things are more peaceful.

Now what I'd like to do is (again) retry abilify, but instead of taking the pills, take the desolving tablets (abilify discmelt). The main side effect I got from abilify was restlessness (akathisia). I believe that won't happen (or be less severe) since I'm at a stable dose with cogentin. I remember my mom telling the doctor I was calmer on abilify and cogentin together. The only other side effect I remember from abilify is insomnia but I have lunesta that can take care of that like I did before.

What I'd like to know is if I switch what should I watch out for? How can I ask the doctor to let me try abilify again? Will there be concequences from stopping zyprexa zydis cold turkey? Should I ask about a short term benzo treatment to help make the move easier?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Andy...