ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-28-08, 10:14 AM

CompleteChaos will become famous soon enough
Adderall, Hypothyroidism, Stimulants???

I thought I saw an earlier post on taking stimulants and having hypothyroidism. That maybe the medications don't work well?? Anyone have any ideas on this? I will share the same question on the Adult ADHD site. I take 150 mcg Levoxyl and just started 15 mg Adderall XR. My TSH is up and the Adderall works "a little bit" Thanks
Old 05-28-08, 11:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Leigha01 has a spectacular aura aboutLeigha01 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adderall, Hypothyroidism, Stimulants???

I have hypothyroid as well, my understanding is it is Hyper thyroid that they don't work with
Old 06-03-08, 04:05 PM

hannahsmom is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall, Hypothyroidism, Stimulants???

I have hypoT too, and I swear it affects my thyroid. I've doubled my dose since starting stims but my symptoms are getting better and interestingly I don't have as many side effects from the stims, either. I think if you are hypoT and need both meds, you need to pay VERY close attention to all of your symptoms and regulate accordingly. My bloodwork looks pretty good, but I was very symptomatic. Fortunately I have an understanding doc.

I try to space my stims and my Armour so that my Armour is in my system before I start taking my Adderall. I also feel I have problems absorbing/metabolizing the stims, so I have had to try some unconventional methods, such as crushing. I don't recommend this for everyone, but if you are HypoT and having problems, you might give it a try if you are having inconsistent results. I have also found that I cannot take any of the XR formulations because I don't metabolize them normally. You might want to stick with the short-acting formulas until you figure out what works for you.

Since you are taking the XR formula and not seeing much in the way of progress, you might try breaking the capsule open and putting the little beads in applesauce or something (they do this for kids who can't swallow the capsule)... I'm wondering if you aren't absorbing all of the meds and removing one barrier (the capsule) might help?
Sponsored Links