ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-28-08, 04:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

shakepurmake will become famous soon enough
How long is Adderall XR supposed to last?

Ok this is really strange for me because of how long the Adderall lasts one day and ends earlier another day.

I have been taking my Adderall XR pill 20mg for the past week and typically it would last all the way up to 12 hours. I could feel if it was still working or not, but today, I took my adderall as usual and to my surprise it only lasted eight hours. I stayed clear of anything really acidic and made sure to eat the same thing I have been eating the previous week to insure the adderall lasts 12 hours. Its not lasting long enough for me and was wondering if there was anyway to extend how long it works. Does anyone know why its lasting 12 hours one day and eight hours another day?

(Out of curiousity, is Salami really acidic? It tastes kind of spicy/peppary and was curios if its acidity can really absorb some of the beads in the adderall.
Old 05-28-08, 05:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

timmtc is on a distinguished road
Re: How long is Adderall XR supposed to last?

I find it lasts typically 9-11 hours. I have only been on XR for 5 days now. My doctor told me to take 1-2 10mg XR's in the morning. Due to the fact that I am going to school, i've been overlapping my 10mg doses. Typically 10mg at 9 AM and then 10mg at 2 PM so I can study at night.

I tried taking just 10mg at 9am but I at around 7-8PM I couldn't focus or complete any school work. I felt sore and tired.
Old 05-28-08, 05:57 PM
Forum Guru

blueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the rough

I used to take 30mg twice a day, but even that wouldn't get me through the day. Within 5 hours of having my first dose...I was done...crashing/couldn't hold my eyes open if it would have saved my life. Naturally I took my second dose at the 4 hour mark....uh huh....yup...so I got about 9 hours out of 60mg of Adderall XR throughout the day.

Lamictal
Wellbutrin
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-08, 10:47 AM
Jr Member

amyaub is on a distinguished road

My husband takes the XR formula (I take the IR). I know he takes one 20 mg when he gets up around 6:30 and then has to take another around 2-3 p.m or he gets a major crash. I was thinking it should last longer than that, but for him it doesn't.
Old 05-29-08, 04:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

shakepurmake will become famous soon enough

Hmmm, is it possible to ask my doc to prescribe me 20 mg of adderall IR for later so I can continue on with its effects and take the XR ?
Old 10-09-08, 03:45 PM

bencas is on a distinguished road

We have found that Adderall XR does not last as long as the manufacturer states. My 13 year old takes it at 6:50 in the morning and by 1:30pm, he can no longer focus. By the time he gets home at 3pm, he is having an ADHD meltdown. He has to eat and chill for a half hour before he is reasonable again. The doctor who specializes in ADHD is aware of this weakness in the medication and is going to modify the treatment plan.

I am counting the minutes....................
Old 10-10-08, 05:15 AM
Jr Member

teky is on a distinguished road

i keep poppin em like candy cause effect wears off and i stay up for days and i cant help it even if i wanted too.. sucks cause im a sexy mofo
Old 10-10-08, 02:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Captain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the roughCaptain Sanity is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakepurmake View Post
Hmmm, is it possible to ask my doc to prescribe me 20 mg of adderall IR for later so I can continue on with its effects and take the XR ?
20MG IR is twice as powerful because it hits in half the time.

The xr seems to really vary for people in how much it works. It may still be working but you may feel it less. That is, you might not FEEL it. You need to judge it by its effects, not by if you feel it, and that can be hard to do.