ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 06-09-08, 11:16 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,002 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
OCD spouse driving me crazy

Does anyone here have an OCD spouse?

Mine is driving me NUTS sometimes.

He is messy, and won't clean or institute an organizing "system" -- but freaks when he cannot find stuff (in that OCD kind of freakout way).

Sometimes the stuff he is "missing" is junk. (e.g. today it was the smoke detector cover that was taken off while replacing the battery months ago; or a small tile of flooring that came out a few months ago and was on the counter.)

It's really starting to get on my last frikkin' nerve.
The Following User Says Thank You to QueensU_girl For This Useful Post:
~boots~ (06-10-08)
Old 06-10-08, 09:32 AM
Contributor

gogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nicegogogo is just really nice
Re: OCD spouse driving me crazy

Is he a hoarder?

As to missing "stuff" that's to be worked on, my guy gets a closed container and keeps all the parts in there, no matter what. It stops the clutter and makes those odds and ends easier to find.

Still, I'm the one who organizes the tools. He'll often buy duplicates because he can't find what he needs. We currently have about seven cans WD-40. You'd think we produce cyborgs in our basement...

He's getting better, or I am , but that frantic searching for the silliest missing things just raises my blood pressure. They almost always eventually turn up.
Old 06-10-08, 09:41 AM

Thanked 1,275 Times in 974 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

LOL.. I'm the OCD spouse.. my blood pressure actually rises when I'm having trouble...and I end up with an anxiety attack. I searched my whole bedroom once when I lost my partial plate somehow during the night. That was before I was married. I finally found it.. under the rug...how it got there, when I was sleeping, I have no clue.

The same thing happens now.. when something goes missing. I make the hubby and the kids help me search and it drives them crazy. Lately though, I've noticed the younger twin doing the same thing.

I've let so many things go.. because I know it upsets them. But I think that is one of the reasons I pick more at myself..as I'm worrying about where an object is. Have you noticed your hubby scratching more...or picking at things more, when he's having trouble finding something?

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-08, 10:16 AM

Thanked 4,518 Times in 1,785 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Has he ever tried Luvox, Queens? I'm not on a therapeutic dose right now (I'm taking 25 mg; I believe that the therapeutic range starts at 100 mg) and a lot of my compulsive things have returned. I only take it now to reduce anxiety and it seems to be very effective at that, even at just 25 mg. I don't get anxious, I get MAD. I hate the weight gain, but it does work.

BTW, I'm not diagnosed OCD, but I'm pretty darned anal. It's an ADHD coping mechanism for me and I'm fairly dependent on it. The Luvox reduces the dependency on that sense of order. While on the therapeutic dose, I did, however, lose things that were valuable and I NEVER lose things normally. I also felt like my mind was "slippery," if that makse sense. So there's a down side. Me, I just prefer to be an order and neatness freak. But, of course, your hubster has the opposite problem, eh? Hmmmmmmmm.... Ok, not sure if Luvox would help on second thought. But it does help a bit with the compulsiveness, at least it does for me.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Mary (06-10-08)
Old 06-10-08, 11:32 AM

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,164 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
Has he ever tried Luvox, Queens? I'm not on a therapeutic dose right now (I'm taking 25 mg; I believe that the therapeutic range starts at 100 mg) and a lot of my compulsive things have returned. I only take it now to reduce anxiety and it seems to be very effective at that, even at just 25 mg. I don't get anxious, I get MAD. I hate the weight gain, but it does work.

BTW, I'm not diagnosed OCD, but I'm pretty darned anal. It's an ADHD coping mechanism for me and I'm fairly dependent on it. The Luvox reduces the dependency on that sense of order. While on the therapeutic dose, I did, however, lose things that were valuable and I NEVER lose things normally. I also felt like my mind was "slippery," if that makse sense. So there's a down side. Me, I just prefer to be an order and neatness freak. But, of course, your hubster has the opposite problem, eh? Hmmmmmmmm.... Ok, not sure if Luvox would help on second thought. But it does help a bit with the compulsiveness, at least it does for me.
I was exactly like that before adhd meds...control controlled my life so I could feel in control

lists, routines, rosters....a place for everything, etc etc...but I am not OCD..I just hated feeling out of control

hugs QUG xxx

CHINESE PROVERB
The Following User Says Thank You to ~boots~ For This Useful Post:
Mary (06-10-08)
Old 06-10-08, 03:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

newfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of lightnewfdog is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo View Post
...... He'll often buy duplicates because he can't find what he needs. We currently have about seven cans WD-40.......
Don't have OCD, but I can relate to the above. I never lose my keys, but I do have about 7 tape measures all in different places... I am always loosing them
The Following User Says Thank You to newfdog For This Useful Post:
~boots~ (06-11-08)
Old 06-11-08, 05:13 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,557 Times in 5,758 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me see if I have this right? - Your husband obsesses over finding a little part or object that isn't really that important - he keeps a lot of junk - I do not know if that is obsessive or simply a result of testerone

Gary does that not only about parts but about doing things a certain way - he gets an idea in his head to do some thing a certain way or he decides we need some thing - and he will not deviate not matter how contrary to common sense it may be or how low on funds we are -

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook