ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-18-08, 05:27 AM

JuneBug86 is on a distinguished road
Chest pains on adderall

Hey guys... new to the forum. I was diagnosed with ADD in high school and like many people I quit taking the meds upon "adulthood" thinking it went away. Of course it didnt go away, i've just learned that after almost four years of failure at a community college due to inattention and procrastination.

I finally went to see a psychiatrist again, and he prescribed me 10 mg of adderall in the morning, 10 mg in the afternoon. After being on it a couple weeks now, I have been doing so much better! I have been taking it exactly as prescribed and everything. By the way, I am also on 300 mg Wellbutrin and 10 mg ambien (at night).

The only thing is I have been experiencing minor chest pains. They are really not pains though, more like little twinges or cramps. I got worried and went and had an EKG and everything was totally normal. My blood pressure was normal as well. The only thing that worries me though is that I was not on the adderall at the time of the EKG and what if that screwed up the readings? The other weird thing is even on days when I am not on adderall, the twinges and cramps are still there in my chest. Even though the doctor said my heart was totally normal, im still worried of course (and that probably makes it worse!)

I just wanted some reassurance to see if this happened to anyone else, and to see if what I am experiencing is normal. I dont want to hurt my body at all, I am very healthy and I want to stay that way!

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug86 For This Useful Post:
honkydukes (01-19-14)
Old 06-18-08, 06:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all
Re: Chest pains on adderall

It could be from a vasospasm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasospasm

Stimulants are vasoconstrictors.

I get a type of vasospam at rest (not on stimulants). Which maybe
Prinzmetal's angina. Its very mild in my case but obviously noticable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prinzmetal's_angina

Quote:
Acetylcholine is normally release by the parasympathetic nervous system (PSNS) at rest, and causes dilation of the coronary arteries. While acetylcholine induces vasoconstriction of vascular smooth muscle cells through a direct mechanism, acetylcholine also stimulates endothelial cells to produce nitric oxide (NO)
Quote:
In dysfunctional endothelium, less, or even no, NO is released by the endothelium upon stimulation with acetylcholine. Thus, acetylcholine released by the SNS at rest will simply cause contraction of the vascular smooth muscle. It is potentially by this mechanism that Prinzmetal's angina occurs.
Which means stimulants could cause the "vasoconstriction of vascular smooth muscle cells" and dysfunctional endothelium makes little are no nitric oxide to
relax the muscle cells.

Check these other thread where I talk about it:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...ina#post602325

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...tal%27s+angina

Personally I try to eat a few cloves of raw garlic daily(garlic pills might have the same action with less odor). I took pycnogenol 180 mg daily before I ran out. I've taken a few grams of l-arginine but some studies I read the other make me question its effectiveness(normal diet may supply ample).
The Following User Says Thank You to theta For This Useful Post:
honkydukes (01-19-14)
Old 06-18-08, 07:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

Quote:
1: Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2002 Jan-Feb;29(1-2):84-91.
Links
Garlic and its active metabolite allicin produce endothelium- and nitric oxide-dependent relaxation in rat pulmonary arteries.
Ku DD, Abdel-Razek TT, Dai J, Kim-Park S, Fallon MB, Abrams GA.

Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA. DavidKu@UAB.EDU

1. The aims of the present study were to investigate the effects of fresh garlic and one of its active metabolites, allicin, on rat isolated pulmonary arteries (RPA). 2. In endothelium-intact and phenylephrine-precontracted RPA, the addition of a water or a 5% ethanol extract of fresh garlic (1-500 microg/mL) resulted in a dose-dependent relaxation reaching a maximum (mean +/- SEM) of -91 +/- 3 and -93 +/- 2%, respectively, with an ED(50) of 113 +/- 12 and 106 +/- 10 microg/mL, respectively. The vasorelaxation was readily reversible upon washing and no tachyphylaxis was noted. 3. An extract of the external garlic storage leaf produced a significantly greater relaxation than the inner stem. Microfiltration of extracts with a 10,000 molecular sieve did not attenuate relaxation. Inactivation of alliinase and allicin formation, with either boiling of the garlic clove for 30 min or 100% ethanol treatment, completely abolished relaxation. In contrast, similar treatment of crushed garlic with formed allicin retained the relaxation response. 4. Pure allicin produced a similar relaxation as garlic extract, with an EC(50) of approximately 0.8 microg/mL. Disruption of endothelium or N(G)-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester pretreatment attenuated the relaxation, whereas indomethacin had no effect. 5. Prior garlic (500 microg/mL) treatment enhanced acetylcholine relaxation by shifting the response curve to the left, but had no effect on nitric oxide (NO) donor-induced responses. 6. These results demonstrate that garlic and the active metabolite allicin are capable of eliciting a NO-dependent relaxation in RPA and that this response is likely to be mediated via garlic activation of NO formation rather than its stabilization.

PMID: 11906464 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Vasoconstriction from phenylephrine(a drug with a stimulant like action on the body) was reduced with garlic. Note it mentions cooking destroyed the efficay of garlic.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-08, 05:32 PM
Contributor

MECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to all

Hi Junebug!

Theta has given some very complete and excellent information above about possible issues you could be experiencing. I am also on Adderall, and when I started with 10 mg in the AM, the first day was great! The second and third day, though, I had severe chest pains. I cut back to 5 mg, then to 2.5, then titrated back up. I'm currently on 10 mg 2x a day, 5 mg in the PM, no chest pains.

Here is what I found helped me:
  • Stress always gave me a tight feeling in my chest and a sick tummy. I realized the 10 mg Adderall when I was starting out was right as I was working on a very stressful work project. I waited till that project was over befroe trying to increase the dose.
  • I took an EKG while ON the Adderall 5 mg. That came out completely normal, as did my blood pressure. My mother has heart problems, so I was very worried about the palpitations and chest pain, but the exam made me feel a lot better.
In my opinion, you should take another EKG, just to be safe, and talk with your doctor about changing your dose and adding on smaller increments of meds. If there is something wrong, you want it found so you can treat it. If there is nothing, you want that found so you feel calmer and don't worry. You might also want to think about finding things that help you relax, such as yoga, meditation, long walks, warm baths, etc.

I found my anxiety decreased overall once I started the medications, but the energy increase was hard to deal with, and I overexerted myself! I feel better now after being on a stable dose for about a month or so.

I hope that helps!
Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=627682
The Following User Says Thank You to MECMR For This Useful Post:
WarPhalange (12-10-08)
Old 11-05-08, 05:10 PM

ES01 is on a distinguished road

Aha! Thank you so much for the posts. I have been on adderall for the past 3 weeks and had my first two twinges yesterday. A brief spasm to the right of center chest that dissipates quickly. I just had another one so decided to look to see if anyone else has had them, and ta da!, there you are.
Old 11-14-08, 05:19 PM

ADDInWI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug86 View Post
Hey guys... new to the forum. I was diagnosed with ADD in high school and like many people I quit taking the meds upon "adulthood" thinking it went away. Of course it didnt go away, i've just learned that after almost four years of failure at a community college due to inattention and procrastination.

I finally went to see a psychiatrist again, and he prescribed me 10 mg of adderall in the morning, 10 mg in the afternoon. After being on it a couple weeks now, I have been doing so much better! I have been taking it exactly as prescribed and everything. By the way, I am also on 300 mg Wellbutrin and 10 mg ambien (at night).

The only thing is I have been experiencing minor chest pains. They are really not pains though, more like little twinges or cramps. I got worried and went and had an EKG and everything was totally normal. My blood pressure was normal as well. The only thing that worries me though is that I was not on the adderall at the time of the EKG and what if that screwed up the readings? The other weird thing is even on days when I am not on adderall, the twinges and cramps are still there in my chest. Even though the doctor said my heart was totally normal, im still worried of course (and that probably makes it worse!)

I just wanted some reassurance to see if this happened to anyone else, and to see if what I am experiencing is normal. I dont want to hurt my body at all, I am very healthy and I want to stay that way!

Thanks!
I had the same thing when I first started the drug a few days ago. It was almost like chest pressure. It went away and hasn't returned. Go ahead and get an EKG if you feel the need. With time though, the side effect will probably go away.
Old 11-14-08, 08:20 PM

Mariamaria18 is on a distinguished road

i had the same problem.
the first day of taking Adderall i had horrible chest pains and the left side of my body went sort of numb.the day after i didnt take it and i still had chest pains.

i haven't taken it since then because i'm to scared.
what could be causing this??

HELP
Old 12-02-08, 04:52 AM
Jr Member

sunshine85 is on a distinguished road

I have been taking Adderall for 2 weeks now. Recently I have had trouble when I'm working out (which i didnt have before) My heart rate goes up really high when I run, and it makes it hard to breathe normally and even after I stop i find it very hard to breathe normal and have the pain go away. Last night an two hours after i was done with my workout, I had chest pain, it made it uncomfortable to breathe deaply. This morning it was also like for like 2 hours. I am concerned about it because I normally don't experience things like this. I am in fairly good shape and haven't done anything different since I have started taking adderall.
Old 12-02-08, 07:09 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

kiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the roughkiosk is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine85 View Post
I am in fairly good shape and haven't done anything different since I have started taking adderall.
how are your sinuses? I am in good shape also and regularly train, but do also get chest pains and trouble breathing but was identified to be my sinus (allergy, deviated sectum, etc, etc) nothing heart related....I even had a cardiac stress test done
Adderall just agravates the situation

just check with your doc...x-rays, ekg, etc
Old 12-10-08, 06:35 PM

PrincessSarah is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same exactly symptoms w/ the chest pain! Thank you for sharing... Did they go away?
Old 12-10-08, 07:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariamaria18 View Post
i had the same problem.
the first day of taking Adderall i had horrible chest pains and the left side of my body went sort of numb.the day after i didnt take it and i still had chest pains.

i haven't taken it since then because i'm to scared.
what could be causing this??

HELP
How much did you take?

Adderall has a short half-life, meaning the time it takes your body to dispose of half of the medicine is short. But if you have a lot of it in your body, it could linger for a while.
Old 12-10-08, 07:49 PM

PrincessSarah is on a distinguished road

Hello!
I'm new and would love to get anyone's advise. I have recently started taking Adderall 10mg XR after a break of a year and half. I've noticed that after day 5 on the med I started getting chest pain/tightness in my chest. I've also experienced a few heart palps (no biggy) and a sharp quick pain in my upper left chest at night while trying to fall asleep.
I decided to not take it on Day 6 and still had the tightness/dull pain in my chest.
Is this anxiety or med related?
Thank you!
Old 12-10-08, 08:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

mochi will become famous soon enough

For me, I used to have muscle tension in my chest and the occasional sharp quick pain because I had anxiety.

After my current dose of Adderall (5mg 4-5 times a day), it stopped. (Took about a month)

For awhile, I was taking 20mgXR and a 5-mg and I had chest pains as well, but I think it's because I ramped up too quickly.

You might be on a dose that's too high or you ramped up WAY too fast....
Old 12-10-08, 08:27 PM

Kill__Joy is on a distinguished road

When I first started adderall I had heart palpitations/heart murmurs/heartburn/tight chest and heaviness feeling. I still get some of the symptoms, usually its the heavy tight chest and hard to breathe symptoms, especially when I workout. But today I havent done anything and its hard to breathe even though im pretty sure my adderall already wore off. Also adderall really aggravates my acid reflux disease which really ****in blows.
Old 07-27-10, 03:09 PM

pkp9774 is on a distinguished road

I'm also new to taking Aderall and am experiencing tightness in the chest area and some burping which I've always associated with acid reflux.

I was wondering if any of you were on the Generic or the real thing? I received the generics from CorePharma, the D-Amphetamine Salt Combo 10mg. I've read in other places that some of the generics have a "speedy" effect.

I'm scheduled to get an EKG to make sure everything is kosher. Thanks!