ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 06-19-08, 04:06 PM

asteroidearth is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Patient Assistance & Prescription Assistance Programs For ADD/ADHD

After graduating from College during winter break, I realized my health insurance was going to disappear. I've been doing a good deal of freelance work and haven't had any real financial issues, but that doesn't mean I can afford these medications without coverage or going back to eating Ramen everyday.

I started searching for different ways to help pay from my medication (Vyvanse) and turned up a good deal of information on all ADD/ADHD medications. I keep fairly good notes (lol, thanks to the Vyvanse maybe?) so I figured I would share. If I left any gaps, please post what I missed and I'll get it on the list ASAP!

But first I want to make something very clear:

The websites I chose to list and pull information where the ones that provided me with accurate information the easiest, had the best features (if features factored into what the site could offer), and didn't cost to find the information out. I went to too many websites that asked me for a credit card or sent me on a goose chase through the site only to result in the information being worthless or incomplete.

Patient Assistance Programs
Quoted from PatientAssistance.com - (Registration required, but it allows you to set reminders on when to re-apply for the medication)

Patient assistance programs are available to low-income individuals or families who are under-insured or uninsured and are provided to those who meet the eligibility guidelines. Assistance may range from reduced cost of drugs to free medicine. Each drug that a company offers will have its own unique program and may even have a different eligibility requirement than the other drugs they offer.
Assistance offered by the federal or state government to help with prescription and general healthcare needs that the individual can't afford. These are listed by state, so instead of clogging up this post, click the link above.

Wal-Mart $4 Prescriptions Program
For those of you ok with taking generic ADD/ADHD medications, you may want to try this. $4 is better than pretty much any co-pay I've come across myself, but considering that when I tried various medications to figure out worked best for me I had a poor reaction to some and great to others when my doctor said they'd be the same, I just can't make the switch.

One of my biggest complaints with this program is that it considers all the various medication dosages to count as separate meds in the list of 1,000 they state. The other is the fact that they don't have really any discount on the other medications that aren't on the list. That's why I recommend the next one:

Prescription Drug Card
Besides YourRxCard.com, I honestly couldn't find another method to supplement my prescription coverage from my insurance. This site is really awesome for a few reasons:
  • No cost
  • Registration is optional
  • You print the card right off the site
  • They have a mobile version available so you can get your card numbers from anywhere
  • You can price medication directly from the site for your area
  • They have a Doctor/Pharmacist who will write a detailed response to your questions if you'd rather not call your doctor or ask your physician at drop off/pick up.
Apparently, unlike when I use my regular prescription coverage, this card doesn't override and go with it's own price. So if you bring it to Wal-Mart and get a $4 prescription and a regular, you just give them the card and they give you the lowest price per drug. I didn't really run into any places around my place or my parents that won't take it, but keep me posted on that.

Hopefully you'll have found this information useful. I've got enough issue worrying about gas prices going up, so I'd rather not have to worry about anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to asteroidearth For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (02-24-13)
Old 07-26-10, 11:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Hypoactive has a spectacular aura aboutHypoactive has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Patient Assistance & Prescription Assistance Programs For ADD/ADHD

thanks so much for taking the time to post this. i realize it was a while ago, but it's a great start for those like me, who are in the process of trying to weed through all the various possibilities..and impossibilities, lol.