ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-25-08, 01:29 PM

addperson is on a distinguished road
adderall and serotonin

i saw on wikipedia page on amphetamines about something dealing with serotonin, but i couldnt understand all the "transporter" stuff and what happens with serotonin when you take amphetamines. could anyone explain?
Old 06-25-08, 01:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 974 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold
Re: adderall and serotonin

Lack of serotonin is what causes ADD... Adderall and other stimulants help produce an increased rate so that someone with ADD can function or hopefully function .. with increased ability to stay on task.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 06-25-08, 06:17 PM

cwonderig is on a distinguished road

Is it seratonin or dopamine?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-08, 07:37 PM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

lack of serotonin does not in itself cause ADHD Mary
The Following User Says Thank You to Mincan For This Useful Post:
greeeen (03-03-09)
Old 06-25-08, 09:50 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 10,039 Times in 4,186 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

I can try to explain how the drugs are thought to work. I don't really think that the effect Adderall has on serotonin is that great.

The neurotransmitters dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin are released from nerve endings to act on other nerve cells. The transporters help suck up the neurotransmitters back into the cell that released them after they have served their purpose (and each individual neurotransmitter has its own transporter so dopamine is taken back into the cell via the dopamine transporter, etc. . .)

Both amphetamine (Adderall) and methylphenidate (ritalin) act at the dopamine and noradrenaline transporters. What they do is block the transporter, so that there is more neurotransmitter available to act at other nerve cells.

At higher doses, Adderall (but not ritalin), can also do the same at the serotonin transporter, but it unclear whether this happens at doses which are used for the treatment of ADHD.

Most researchers believe that most of the therapeutic effects of the stimulant drugs comes from the increase in dopamine and noradrenaline (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Prozac, which block the serotonin transporters, aren't particularly effective in ADHD).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
lis dexia (07-12-08), Mary (06-25-08)
Old 06-25-08, 11:55 PM

Thanked 1,275 Times in 974 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincan View Post
lack of serotonin does not in itself cause ADHD Mary
I know this... I was doing 5 other things when I answered.. and by the time I went back to edit.. it was too late. Then hubby came home and I hadn't got back to add anything extra.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mary For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-10-13), curseandablessi (07-12-08), Mincan (06-26-08), QueensU_girl (06-26-08)
Old 06-26-08, 10:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Seratonin is the primary link for depression. Most Amphetamines and Methylphenidate target dopamine and/or norephinephrine which are the primary culprits in ADHD. I'm super rusty on my past coursework but I think once a threshold of dopamine and norephinephrine receptors have been blocked there can be a trickle-over effect on seratonin. Don't quote me on this though.

Methamphetamine also targets seratonin in addition to dopamine and norephinephrine.
Old 06-26-08, 11:54 AM

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

iirc, ADD is about dopamine shortage.

Stimulant meds directly agonize Dopamine. They indirectly affect Serotonin.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueensU_girl For This Useful Post:
fastgreen (11-11-11), Mary (06-26-08), rDodger (08-05-11)
Old 06-26-08, 08:17 PM

addperson is on a distinguished road

its also about norepenphrine though... thats what makes you concentrate and focus
Old 06-28-08, 02:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

samm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by addperson View Post
its also about norepenphrine though... thats what makes you concentrate and focus
Right, thats what they are talking about in the above posts. Norepinephrine, aka, Noradrenline is synthized from dopamine along with seratonin. So the more dopamine, the greater potential for more norepinephrine (energy and focus) and seratonin (happy mood and outlook).

My gift: Inattentive Add
My regimen: Adderall IR 10mgs QID

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samm For This Useful Post:
fastgreen (11-11-11), Mary (06-28-08)
Old 07-12-08, 04:25 PM

CptRambo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
I can try to explain how the drugs are thought to work. I don't really think that the effect Adderall has on serotonin is that great.

The neurotransmitters dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin are released from nerve endings to act on other nerve cells. The transporters help suck up the neurotransmitters back into the cell that released them after they have served their purpose (and each individual neurotransmitter has its own transporter so dopamine is taken back into the cell via the dopamine transporter, etc. . .)

Both amphetamine (Adderall) and methylphenidate (ritalin) act at the dopamine and noradrenaline transporters. What they do is block the transporter, so that there is more neurotransmitter available to act at other nerve cells.

At higher doses, Adderall (but not ritalin), can also do the same at the serotonin transporter, but it unclear whether this happens at doses which are used for the treatment of ADHD.

Most researchers believe that most of the therapeutic effects of the stimulant drugs comes from the increase in dopamine and noradrenaline (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Prozac, which block the serotonin transporters, aren't particularly effective in ADHD).
Your saying they block the nuerotransmitters but if they did that then they would be called reuptake inhibitors.Those would be ssri's snri's dri's.I think im sure of this might not though...adderall and ritalin(stimulants) are like prototypes of natrual dopamine(they are almost the same).So when you take these they get your brain used to processing these transmitters.So after a while your brain starts doing the process on its own.
Old 07-13-08, 02:20 PM

TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Your saying they block the nuerotransmitters but if they did that then they would be called reuptake inhibitors.Those would be ssri's snri's dri's.I think im sure of this might not though...adderall and ritalin(stimulants) are like prototypes of natrual dopamine(they are almost the same).So when you take these they get your brain used to processing these transmitters.So after a while your brain starts doing the process on its own.
Neither ritalin nor amphetamine are prototypes of dopamine; they simply increase the amount of dopamine available for use.

You're right, methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a dopamine/noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor, so is cocaine (also acts on serotonin as well). Amphetamine both inhibits reuptake, and releases dopamine by reversing the direction of the transporter, so techinically it's not 'just' a reuptake inhibitor, but the principle is the same.
Old 07-13-08, 05:39 PM

CptRambo is on a distinguished road

ahh I see.By prototype I meant like a generic version of it.By stimulant I thought the molecules of adderall have a resemblence of dopamine so the brain uses it.
Old 07-14-08, 10:40 AM

Quote:
ahh I see.By prototype I meant like a generic version of it.By stimulant I thought the molecules of adderall have a resemblence of dopamine so the brain uses it.
Those would be agonists, which resemble the neurotransmitter in question and directly bind to receptors . . . reuptake inhibitors actually increase the amount of real neurotransmitter available for use.

It's all a bit confusing, isn't it?
Old 07-18-08, 09:24 PM

WickedGirl is on a distinguished road

Based on my personal experience....I don't know exactly what Adderall does to Serotonin, but it does NOT elevate it. If I take an anti-depressant designed to elevate Serotonin, it is a disaster for me. I get extremely depressed, lethargic, suicidal...in one day. If I take Dextroamphetamine, I am not euphoric or joyous, but it is a definite improvement over my usual self. I am actually zen-like. I am much more pleasant to be around. But, I lack motivation and drive. If I take Adderall, I am not so pleasant to be around, but my mood is fairly good, and I have motivation and drive. I suffer from migraines that are serotonin induced, and when I take Adderall or Dextroamphetamine, those headaches never show up. So, what is Adderall's effect on Serotonin? Well, be it indirectly through the action on other neurotransmitters or directly on Serotonin itself, I think it seems to reduce Serotonin. At least in me....thank God. If there was ever a neurotransmitter that I have come to actively dislike, it is Serotonin. I know that sounds odd, but I firmly believe that the reason I have focus issues in the first place is due to the antidepressants that I was put on right after being raped. I didn't take them until about a year and a half after the rape, but within two weeks of beginning them, I lost about half my vocabulary and began having migraines. If it raises Dopamine and Norepinephrine, I am all for it. If it touches Serotinin, keep it the heck away from me! Even the newer SSNRIs and SNSRIs, which still act on Serotinin, although some only in a very minor capacity, give me bad side effects. Ick! Keep away!
The Following User Says Thank You to WickedGirl For This Useful Post:
lis dexia (07-18-08)