ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-08, 12:02 AM

wiredkid is on a distinguished road
ADHD and Languge and logic

I am kind wondering does ADHD worsen logistical and language ablitiy. I mean if I could be more concetrate do my logistical skill improve?
Old 07-07-08, 07:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

Zerbinetta is a jewel in the roughZerbinetta is a jewel in the roughZerbinetta is a jewel in the rough
Re: ADHD and Languge and logic

What do you mean, logistical? Logistics is when you distribute goods, isn't it?

I suppose you mean logical and/or linguistic. My ADHD does not seem to have negatively affected either of those. I have always had a way with words.

I do tend to get stuck on a single train of thought, without the ability to change direction unless someone points out the obvious. I'll sometimes try and do things the first way that pops into my head, even if there's clearly a far simpler way, which I somehow didn't notice before.

Does that sound familiar to you?
Old 07-07-08, 07:20 AM
Contributor

planetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure wiredkid means logical ability.

Being able to concentrate more always helps logic as you can follow the thread easier. Mind you some of my best logic is from spontaneous leaps (that's gotta be a good ADHD thang) to a conclusion that I have to 'prove' by working backwards - and I often find that writing replies to posts clarifies my thinking on a matter.

But logic is mainly about learning to think through a problem to come to a good solution - no good if the process you use to get to your conclusion is flawed. Concentration will help you keep track of your thinking but wont teach you how to think properly.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-08, 06:52 PM

CaucusRace will become famous soon enough

I definitely think my language an logical skills are affected by ADHD.

When I'm unmedicated, it is hard for me to turn thoughts into words. At least, turn specific thoughts into words. I have a good vocabulary, and I can talk endlessly about whatever's whizzing around in my mind, but if I'm asked a specific question I'll suddenly have no words. I have difficulty getting to the core of what I want to say and end up talking around it. I can see in my mind what I want to convey, but it's hard to make the words. It can be very frustrating. I've noticed that sleep deprivation while I'm on meds tends to produce the same effect.

Certain logical skills I think are worsened by ADHD. Agreed with planetdave, concentration helps a lot here. Particularly for iterative logic -- the kind of logic where you have to consistently apply rules repeatedly. That suffers big time. Also, I find the meds improve my working memory. It is hard to be logical if you keep forgetting relevant bits of information.

Quote:
Concentration will help you keep track of your thinking but wont teach you how to think properly.
Absolutely. You can have the strongest arm in the world, but if you have bad technique then you won't be able to throw the ball very far.
Old 07-07-08, 06:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

Bonnieboo will become famous soon enough

My language and logic skills are excellent. Which is good, because I cannot add 2+2.
Old 07-07-08, 09:45 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

I'd think that it would increase the chances of making logic errors, yes. It probably increases the chances of making incorrect conclusions due to incorrect perception of details as well though.

At the same time, I think some of us have more practice with logical analysis due to ADD itself, as there is little else to rely on sometimes. So perhaps for some of us, logic is so embedded in the way one thinks that one does not really have to consciously think about thinking about it.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 07-07-08, 10:20 PM

jfd19 is on a distinguished road

I find that my add has a big effect on my logical thinking, in htat to do a project I will either jump right into it (Impulsivity) or think it out, but not all the way or not in a good order to produce a very good result.
As for the language ability, that is anyother BIG issue for me, my brain thinks way to fast for it to come out my mouth and it either comes out jumbled or not at all untill i have to mentally thik about stopping and slow down to remember what i was trying to say.
Old 07-07-08, 11:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

Bonnieboo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfd19 View Post
As for the language ability, that is anyother BIG issue for me, my brain thinks way to fast for it to come out my mouth and it either comes out jumbled or not at all untill i have to mentally thik about stopping and slow down to remember what i was trying to say.
I really do have a problem with this. A long time ago I created a coping mechanism, without knowing that's what I was doing. I write. A lot.