ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > Counseling & Therapy > Behavior Modification
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Behavior Modification Discuss behavior modification therapies and strategies

Old 07-08-08, 04:20 AM

josh1983 is on a distinguished road
books

I really have never been a big fan of using drugs to cure anything. This usually works when I'm sick but clearly with ADHD it doesnt just go away. I found a book online and before I buy it I was hoping to see if any one had used it. Its called Brain Exercises to Cure ADHD”, by Dr. Amnon Gimpel. When i went on to the website http://www.tocureadhd.com/ itreally sounded good. and i remember reading an article about it somewhere how it has worked for people. Has any one used it before or heard about it?
Old 07-08-08, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Re: books

I've never heard of this doctor or the book. The word "cure" is a red flag!
Old 07-08-08, 02:25 PM

Thanked 10,429 Times in 3,296 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Bluntly, there is no cure for ADHD.

There is also no cure for your height either nor your basic intelligence. ADHD is primarily heredity and in that aspect is on a par with height and intelligence. If you find a way to cure any of those, please let me know. Nobel prizes await.

To be more gentle, people are out there with the prime purpose of separating you from your money. Give it to them if you wish but don't expect much in return.

There is no easy way. Dealing with ADHD is a hard slog at best. Read the posts and see how people are struggling and making it work. It can be done.

Good luck, keep trying and avoid easy answers. They are almost all wrong.

Dizfriz
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-08, 02:45 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all

Sometimes the use of the word cure is a sign that the person is looking for a quick way to make money off of somebody affected by ADHD. Sometime it's also a sign that the person doesn't really understand ADHD very well.
Maurice (07-08-08)
Old 07-08-08, 03:38 PM
Forum Guru

Maurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to allMaurice is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
Sometimes the use of the word cure is a sign that the person is looking for a quick way to make money off of somebody affected by ADHD. Sometime it's also a sign that the person doesn't really understand ADHD very well.
Tara said very well. I would not be surprised at at all if there aren't books for sale on how to cure anything from Cancer to AIDS. I am just the exact opposite of you. Every since I was cured of Cancer through radical surgery and drugs. I am a firm believer in "better living through chemistry." Do you really think that all of us, many which had to fight like #E[[ to get insurance to pay for our medicine would be taking it if it was possible to cure yourself by reading a book? I like see someone think their way out of chronic pain too!! Instead of narcotics. Can you pull that one off? If I thought I could sell books like that I would be writing books on how to think or train yourself to be taller, better looking, more muscular, more attractive to the opposite sex, and so on. Instead of being here on this ADD Forum. Good Luck with your book. You've given me the incentive to write a book, thanks.
Old 07-08-08, 03:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

hollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nice

There are techniques and habits that help a lot, but I have used them for a long time, and I figure I am about at the limit of the benefit I can get from strategies alone.

And like so many other older ADDers, I ask myself often what my life would have been like if I had finished university, or practiced my artwork, or finished that novel, or stayed in my job long enough to get a full pension. What it would have been like to finish the things I started.

The answer seems to be at least partly -- a whole lot wealthier.
Old 07-08-08, 03:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

hollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nicehollyduck is just really nice

MAURICE SAID: ...I would be writing books on how to think or train yourself to be taller, better looking, more muscular, more attractive ..

I'd like an advance copy of your book, please.

Ducky

not tall, not muscular, slightly attractive ("beautiful plumage"!)
Old 07-08-08, 04:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

prtsimmons is a jewel in the roughprtsimmons is a jewel in the roughprtsimmons is a jewel in the rough

I say buy the book.

Side-effects of buying and reading a useless book: you're $30 poorer, and you've lost 3 hours of your life.

Side-effects of prescription drugs: you're thousands of dollars poorer, loss of sleep, anger, digestive problems, long-term heart health issues, potential permanent changes in brain chemistry, etc.

The book may be a total scam, but the risk is small. Read it and tell us what you think. Compared to the cost of the various drugs, nutraceuticals and therapy programs that are discussed around here, I would say it is a pretty cheap experiment with only one possible negative side-effect: you might believe someone else's BS. But you are on a public forum on the Internet, so you had better be on the lookout for other people's BS already.

Two things I know about books: 1) the title is only one sentence out of thousands, and should not be used to judge the entire book; 2) people who haven't read the book make bad reviewers.
The Following User Says Thank You to prtsimmons For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (05-30-11)
Old 07-16-08, 04:17 PM

I was really surprised but Dr. John Ratey actually recommended this book in his keynote this past Sunday at the ADDA conference. He did a make a joke about the title of the book but still recommended it.