ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 07-12-08, 02:50 AM

GiveMeTheBall is on a distinguished road
Concerta vs. Vyvanse

After trying Ritalin, Adderall and Concerta at different dosages for 2-3 months, our 12 yr old son was doing well at school on 54mg of Concerta but was having side effects at that dosage. He was a too emotional and also at times very sluggish and subdued- he would react to requests but had no initiative on his own and looked generally "out of it." We backed-down to 36mg and the side effects mostly went away but school work suffered- although he was focusing a little better than before the meds, so we decide to finish the school yr with the 36mgs of Concerta each day before trying something else.

From a new doctor who we like a lot better, we learned that Concerta only releases about 15% of its dosage via the outer layer in the first four hours so that most of the benefits come between 6 and 10 hours. For this reason as well as the problems mentioned above, he is recommending we try Vyvanse.

I would be greatly appreciative if anyone who has used either or both medicines can comment on their experience or provide any comments on what we heard from our doctor. Should we expect few side effects from Vyvanse and does it typically last the full 10-12 hours with even release of the medcine over that time period?

Thanks!

PS. GiveMeTheBall best describes my sons behavior when he was first born. He exited his mother with his arms reaching foward, his head and neck craning around and his eyes looking as if he was expecting someone to throw him a ball. He loves sports and they help him cope with his ADHD, so I thought it would be a fitting user name for the forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to GiveMeTheBall For This Useful Post:
canadug (01-14-11)
Old 07-14-08, 01:28 AM

Re: Concerta vs. Vyvanse

Based on the lack of responses, I take it that what our Dr said about Concerta only releasing about 15% of the medicine during the first 4 hours is not much of an issue for many people. (?)
Old 07-14-08, 03:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,261 Times in 574 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you luck with finding the best med for your son. Unfortunately, even if you get answers here, they really aren't predictive of how your son will respond to the medicine.

Basically, trial-and-error is the only thing we can do. Vyvanse might work for 12 hours for some people, but just check old threads here and you'll see that for others it doesn't work for anything close to 12 hours. Some get very little response ....

Your thinking is logical, that the pattern of release (the way the drug releases the medicine) should affect the way it works on us. But our individual bodies apparently aren't aware of all this stuff. It doesn't seem that there is any way to predict how any of these stims will affect any particular individual. Good luck! .... I'm hoping maybe Vyvanse is good for him. If not, keep going. Another might work.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
canadug (01-14-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-08, 06:06 AM
Forum Guru

curseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the rough

Like tone said everyone is diff. I've only been on vyvanse and for me it's smooth. I've had very little side effects and they went away quickly.

I've had little appetite problems. There's some great info in the vyvanse section about eating protein and avoiding citric acid in the AM. That seems to help keep the med working.

I have an "energy drink" around 3 pm, for a little booster. Some have had to take an IR dose of amphetamine for a booster in the early afternoon from what I've read.

Mine lasts about 10-12 hours or so. by about 7 pm I'm winding down, and I'm ready for bed by about 10-10:30
Old 07-14-08, 09:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Actually with Concerta the first dose is 22% and the remaining medication is pushed out of the capsule over the next several hours. The peak tends to hit around the 5-7 hour mark.

Vyvanse is a different class of medication (amphetamine) so unless your son has tried that type of medication it's hard telling how he will react. I've been on Vyvanse since last fall. At first it lasted about 10 hours for me but now I get about 6 before it starts to fizzle out. Compared with Adderall XR I'd say it's not as potent but it is far more consistent. It works each and every time without regards to whether you've eaten or not (taking Adderall XR too close to meals almost negates it).

It may be worth a shot to try Vyvanse, Adderall XR or maybe Focalin XR.

Something else you could try is Daytrana (ritalin-based patch). Takes a while to kick in but once it does you get continuous and steady medication release for up to 15 hours with zero up's and down's that most medications give.

J
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1973 For This Useful Post:
canadug (01-14-11)
Old 07-16-08, 12:47 AM

Thanks everyone. We're optimistic that the vyvanse will provide a steady release- we needed 54mg of Concerta in order for it to be effective in the morning for school, but then by afternoon our son was way too sluggish.

We decided to start the Vyvanse this Saturday when my wife and I can observe the results and be around in case there are any problems. I'll post after we see the effects over a few days.

Thanks again!
Old 07-16-08, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post
Actually with Concerta the first dose is 22% and the remaining medication is pushed out of the capsule over the next several hours. The peak tends to hit around the 5-7 hour mark.
This may explain why we didn't see good results. Our son was probably wasn't getting enough of a dosage during the morning at school and maybe more than he needed by about 1-2:00 in the afternoon, just in time to be sluggish for sports and extracurricular activities! Your comment (even though the % is off a little) is pretty consistent with what our doctor said. Thanks for the information.
Old 10-23-08, 01:57 AM

We have been having too many side effects with Vyvanse and after meeting with our doctor yesterday, decided to stop meds for two weeks. Appetite and weight/height are becoming big issues. My son is 12 and lost a pound since we started Vyvanse in July. He hardly eats-- he eats less than his 7 yr old sister. He also has been very moody- pretty much all day.

After two weeks, we may try Strettera (sp?) and because of the moodiness, we may also consider Wellbutin.

We are all getting weary of this trial and error.... ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, back to Concerta, Vyvanse.... very frustrating.
Old 10-23-08, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

WarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the roughWarPhalange is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeTheBall View Post
After two weeks, we may try Strettera (sp?) and because of the moodiness, we may also consider Wellbutin.

We are all getting weary of this trial and error.... ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, back to Concerta, Vyvanse.... very frustrating.
I know what you mean. I tried Concerta, Focalin, Vyvanse, and Adderall. Now my doc has me on Wellbutrin. It's very annoying, especially since with every medicine that I don't react to, the chance that the next one will work just seems even smaller...
Old 10-23-08, 09:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

warphalange-

Keep trying man. If no meds are working tell your doctor to switch you to the ir medications and you will be able to see if it's a dosing issue
Old 02-25-09, 10:38 PM

cnotc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
I wish you luck with finding the best med for your son. Unfortunately, even if you get answers here, they really aren't predictive of how your son will respond to the medicine.

Basically, trial-and-error is the only thing we can do. Vyvanse might work for 12 hours for some people, but just check old threads here and you'll see that for others it doesn't work for anything close to 12 hours. Some get very little response ....

Your thinking is logical, that the pattern of release (the way the drug releases the medicine) should affect the way it works on us. But our individual bodies apparently aren't aware of all this stuff. It doesn't seem that there is any way to predict how any of these stims will affect any particular individual. Good luck! .... I'm hoping maybe Vyvanse is good for him. If not, keep going. Another might work.
I wholeheartedly agree. I was taking 36mg of concerta and switched to 40mg Vyvanse because I was looking for something that might last a bit longer. I found that it lasted about 8 hours (as opposed to 12) and made me more anxious then concerta ever did. I became withdrawn and quiet (but focused). So back on concerta for me.
Again, you gotta try what works for you. It's different for everyone. Good luck.

Last edited by cnotc; 02-25-09 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar correction
Old 02-25-09, 10:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

cnotc

so the vyvanse provided better symptom control but had too many side effects ? Interesting I've trialed vyvanse for just a few days coming from concerta and could never really tell or notice that I could pay attention. I just felt dumb and lazy. Maybe I didnt try it long enough or wasn't on the correct dosage. Oh well
Old 07-21-09, 12:57 PM

KatS will become famous soon enough

We are switching my seven year old son from Vyvanse to Concerta. He's been on Vyvanse for about 3 months, and we're seeing some unpleasant side effects. He's lost a lot of weight (he was small to begin with) and he gets overly emotional at times. The most disturbing, however, is the tics. Does anyone have experience with this? Are there any other meds that might not exacerbate tics? He didn't have tics before the meds. I noticed that it is also a common side effect of Concerta, so it may not help to switch.

I am also concerned that the slow release of Concerta won't help when he starts school again--most of the academic learning takes place first thing in the morning, and in the afternoon it is mostly phys ed, music & recess. So, he really needs it most in the a.m.

Any advice would be appreciated, although I know that everyone is different.
Old 11-11-09, 01:53 PM
Jr Member

coondude88 is on a distinguished road

Concerta worked WAY better for me than Vyvanse. Concerta actually WORKED for 12 hours like advertised, unlike Vyvanse, which worked for FOUR. My grades have been going through the roof since I started Concerta. My only complaint is that I don't have the same social assertiveness/outgoing personality that Vyvanse gave me.
Old 12-20-10, 10:10 AM

Whatworks is on a distinguished road

My son (who is now 16) was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD (Oppositional Definance Disorder) when he was 5 years old. He has been on EVERYTHING under the sun since then. In the most recent years we have had great success with Straterra & Concerta. He was on Straterra for several years but the effects seemed to wear off and we weren't continuing to see benefit from it. He was on Concerta for the last 4 years. Last July his pediatrician took him off because of his concern about his lack of sleep. He was up to 72 mg a day. Since July 2009 & now he has struggled with impulse control, self esteem and turning his homework in (even when he completes it). Although, since then he went from 5'5" 138 lbs to 5'9" 180 lbs. I am not sure if it was just a normal growth spurt or a result of taking him off his meds. We are considering placing him back on meds (Vyvanse) to help with the impulse control and forgetfulness. I would really like to hear those who have been on Vyvanse and their success or not.