ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 07-13-08, 01:42 PM
Jr Member

Muneca is on a distinguished road
Post Adderall and your period

Im on adderall since July 9th. Im 19, 5 ft nothing 120ish pounds, i take 20mgs once a day.. I get hungry take like a bite or two and am totally full but after the second time in one day i stop getting hungry all together...

My period is supposed to start between the 13-17th, usually on a regular diet.. my period is really diet sensitive though hah{so, if your period is diet sensitive did this affect you?}
anyway, when i was younger{from like 12-16} i used to get PMS REALLY bad!! I'd be very irritable, didnt want anyone near me... my cramps would be to the point where i couldnt walk and occasionally i'd loose my lunch for it. Id get insecure and want to fight with everyone, id be incredibly snappy etc. you all know the drill.
Well the night before last night and today ive been the exact same as when i was younger. I cant stand it i absolutely hate feeling that way/treating people that way
the only difference is now i get really hot and then ill put on the A.C. and ill get freezing in like a second and i get really aggravated over it, like TOO aggravated.. like what-the-F-is-wrong-with-me-that-definitely-shouldnt-make-me-anywhere-NEAR-that-mad kind of aggravated and my mom says thats how she feels when she gets a hot flash
So.. i have 3 questions for you ladies;
1. Anyone else getting the hot flash thing?
2. Anyone else getting the teenie-bopper PMS all over again?
3. Can i take midol w/o an interaction? I went to medscape.com's drug interaction checker and it said No, BUT i read on wikipedia's question things someone said that it made her feel freaky and sick.. which i definitely dont want to be sick. I hate being sick.. haha
THANKS in ADVANCE

Ps. Anything else you remember about your first period with adderall i'd love to hear about it because i want to be prepared!! {i kno its not supposed to affect ur hormones but i heard things like the meds not being as affective or something... iuno ANY extra info or advice is muchly appreciated} Thank you
Old 07-13-08, 02:27 PM
Jr Member

Re: Adderall and your period

bump
i just wanna try to make this stay afloat until someone is on to see it
Old 07-13-08, 03:18 PM
Contributor

MECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to all

Hi Muneca!

I TOTALLY get the PMS thing! I am 39, and still can get PMS that is kinda like that. I don't think mine is as severe, and it's not every month. I do get really moody, and emotional. My concentration goes from (scale of 1 to 10) a 6 to a.....negative 15. I get awful cramping the first 2 days of my period, sometimes for 3. For years I have been popping 800 mg of ibuprofin every 4 hours for 3 days. In fact, I think I've been doing it since I was about your age, or whenever Advil hit the market.

I'm not 19, but maybe this will help...my first month on Adderall, my period was better than normal. Fewer cramps, less bleeding, very little PMS. It seemed like I was a bit off kilter the day or two before, but that was it. (One thing I noticed: I could concentrate enough to know if I was being irrational, and get myself away from the irritation.) However, the rest of them have not been as good.

I take Adderall IR. When taking 10 mg AM, 5 mg at lunch, and 5 mg at 5 PM, I found my concentration and focus were horrible, and I was frustrated and wanted to weep all the time. I went to 10 mg at lunch, and that helped during the PMS. It's funny, because when I take that dose at other times of the month, it makes me too jittery. Have you asked your doctor if giving you an extra little booster dose during this time might be helpful? Or, if maybe you should cut it back a bit since you are so jittery?

Adderall is not supposed to affect your hormones...but hormones affect how your Adderall works! When I have PMS and my period (the first 2-3 days of it) I am always sleepy. On Adderall I am wide awake. However, I can tell that I am not as alert and focused as I am when it's not that portion of my cycle. Does that make sense?

Midol has caffeine, and that could DEFINITELY make you feel creepy and sick with Adderall. I know some folks can take Adderall and do espresso shots, but for me caffeine and the meds don't mix. I'm in a bit of a bind because you are not supposed to take Adderall and ibuprofin, and that is the only thing that gets rid of my cramps. I tried a very interesting herbal formula this month, and it did help a lot. They say it helps PMS too...one ingredient in it is valerian, which can make you drowsy. Then I sleep through the worst of the symptoms!

I have a thread about trying an herb called vitex (or chaste tree berry). So far, it seems to help. It's supposed to help hormones to balance out so that PMS is reduced or even eliminated. This month the PMS was shorter and a little better. I'm also going to start taking evening primrose oil capsules. There is a lot of research that shows it can be very helpful for PMS, and has a lot of other benefits besides.

Those are all things you could try that could take a while to help. According to all the literature, vitex starts really showing an effect after 2-3 months on it. For something immediate, I am not sure what would help. Would your doctor be willing to give you a trial on something? I know some anti-depressants can help PMS. A friend of mine used to take Prozac for 2 out of 4 weeks, and it helped her a lot. However, I don't know if it works for everyone.

I'm sorry, I'm not much help, and I feel a bit rambly today so I'm not quite sure I make sense! I hope it helps to know you are not the only person who goes through this. Ask me to clarify anything I wrote, and I will do what I can.
Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=627682
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-08, 06:09 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECMR View Post
Hi Muneca!

I TOTALLY get the PMS thing! I am 39, and still can get PMS that is kinda like that. I don't think mine is as severe, and it's not every month. I do get really moody, and emotional. My concentration goes from (scale of 1 to 10) a 6 to a.....negative 15. I get awful cramping the first 2 days of my period, sometimes for 3. For years I have been popping 800 mg of ibuprofin every 4 hours for 3 days. In fact, I think I've been doing it since I was about your age, or whenever Advil hit the market.

I'm not 19, but maybe this will help...my first month on Adderall, my period was better than normal. Fewer cramps, less bleeding, very little PMS. It seemed like I was a bit off kilter the day or two before, but that was it. (One thing I noticed: I could concentrate enough to know if I was being irrational, and get myself away from the irritation.) However, the rest of them have not been as good.

I take Adderall IR. When taking 10 mg AM, 5 mg at lunch, and 5 mg at 5 PM, I found my concentration and focus were horrible, and I was frustrated and wanted to weep all the time. I went to 10 mg at lunch, and that helped during the PMS. It's funny, because when I take that dose at other times of the month, it makes me too jittery. Have you asked your doctor if giving you an extra little booster dose during this time might be helpful? Or, if maybe you should cut it back a bit since you are so jittery?

Adderall is not supposed to affect your hormones...but hormones affect how your Adderall works! When I have PMS and my period (the first 2-3 days of it) I am always sleepy. On Adderall I am wide awake. However, I can tell that I am not as alert and focused as I am when it's not that portion of my cycle. Does that make sense?

Midol has caffeine, and that could DEFINITELY make you feel creepy and sick with Adderall. I know some folks can take Adderall and do espresso shots, but for me caffeine and the meds don't mix. I'm in a bit of a bind because you are not supposed to take Adderall and ibuprofin, and that is the only thing that gets rid of my cramps. I tried a very interesting herbal formula this month, and it did help a lot. They say it helps PMS too...one ingredient in it is valerian, which can make you drowsy. Then I sleep through the worst of the symptoms!

I have a thread about trying an herb called vitex (or chaste tree berry). So far, it seems to help. It's supposed to help hormones to balance out so that PMS is reduced or even eliminated. This month the PMS was shorter and a little better. I'm also going to start taking evening primrose oil capsules. There is a lot of research that shows it can be very helpful for PMS, and has a lot of other benefits besides.

Those are all things you could try that could take a while to help. According to all the literature, vitex starts really showing an effect after 2-3 months on it. For something immediate, I am not sure what would help. Would your doctor be willing to give you a trial on something? I know some anti-depressants can help PMS. A friend of mine used to take Prozac for 2 out of 4 weeks, and it helped her a lot. However, I don't know if it works for everyone.

I'm sorry, I'm not much help, and I feel a bit rambly today so I'm not quite sure I make sense! I hope it helps to know you are not the only person who goes through this. Ask me to clarify anything I wrote, and I will do what I can.
Thank you, i appreciate your responding to me. Im glad im not alone, however knowing that does not fix the huge blow out i just had with my mom :\ i can see my self being a complete jerk and im trying to stop myself from sounding like one but it just comes out slightly less jerky. I feel like im under too much pressure.. like im about to break. I go to see my doctor on the 24th to see how im doing with it and i need to make a list of EVERYTHING bcuz there is a lot!!
actually im going to get started on that right now
Thank you :}
Old 07-14-08, 10:38 AM
Jr Member

greatdanish is on a distinguished road

Hello Muneca! I would definately talk to your doctor about the Adderall. I was on Adderall IR then Xr and found that on the XR I would get horrible headaches every afternoon (whether i had my period or not) and I was INCREDIBLY irritable...it was like super pms...ALL THE TIME! I tried to keep a journal (which was difficult because of the adhd...but it's well worth the effort) I put everything from how much caffeine I had each day, to if i had headaches, muscle pain, jaw pain, irritability....anything and everything that I thought was weird or unusual. She ended up switching me to a different med. So, you might want to discuss that with the Doc. While the Adderall had worked wonders for me, I couldnt take the side effects any longer.

Good luck to you!
Old 08-01-08, 05:10 AM

WickedGirl is on a distinguished road

Hi again Muneca. Adderall totally affects my hormones, and I am 41. First, if you get that irritable on it, your dose is probably too high. I speak from experience. Although I like the fun of taking 20 to 30 mgs at one time, I noticed that my irritability in general shot way up on those doses. It took me two years of playing around, but I have found that 10mg of Adderall XR twice a day (and preferably once a day) is my max dosage.

Second, for any woman experiencing mood swings related to hormonal issues, an immediate cure for the problem is to take 1 to 2 tablespoons of Spectrum Flax/Borage oil every day. The liquid must be used, not the capsules/softgels. Barlean's is another brand that makes this liquid, although the active ingredients are not quite as high per tablespoon.

The Flax/Borage has its own benefits for A.D.D. symptoms as well, but if you want to see something that provides truly startling results for hormonal mood swings and anxiety, you should try this. I have taken it for ten years now. I started taking it even before I knew I had A.D.D. I just knew that I became super "B" every month and I couldn't even stand myself. LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to WickedGirl For This Useful Post:
somuchbetter (04-02-09)
Old 05-25-10, 12:26 PM

jess_youngblood is on a distinguished road

I went off birth control pills shortly after I stared Adderall, b/c I didn't want to be taking 2 things that can cause blood clots etc.. and PMS was terrible. But after going off (Birth control) nothing has really changed it seems to last for over a week. It just feels like constant building stress and pressure all over, excruciating tension headaches and the Adderall has little to no effect during this time. The only relief is when my period actually starts.