ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-08, 04:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Batman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of lightBatman55 is a glorious beacon of light
Did Johnny Cash have ADHD?

Yeah, kinda wondering because of his extremely prodigious amphetamine addiction... I think it was 50+ dexedrines a day at some point, and then a crapload of tranquilizers to sleep at night.

Conversely, "they" say if you get the euphoric effect from stimulants, you might not have ADHD. As far as I know Johnny Cash used them to "keep it going" on the road and pep himself up, and just as much if not moreso, the euphoric effect...
Old 07-15-08, 05:12 AM
Contributor

planetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of lightplanetdave is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Did Johnny Cash have ADHD?

It could be - he was very driven but there must have been a big co-morbid thing going on..he seemed to me to have ASPD as well.

What I do know is that Ozzy Osbourne is Dx AD/HD. Not a big surprise there, really. Gotta be plenty more musicians with it - of all the musicians I know (ie all my friends) I can't think of one that is NT.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Old 07-15-08, 07:06 AM
Forum Guru

curseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the rough

I don't know, I hadn't really thought about too many other people other than me, my hubby, family, and you guys here, (and the weather guy someone shows links to).

I know most people don't "get" how I can be taking a stimulant and how much it calms me down.
Old 07-15-08, 01:23 PM

o0starla0o will become famous soon enough

I don't know about musicians and ADD/ADHD. Every problem is so unique it's really hard to tease things out.
I do know that, for me, playing guitar is extremely calming. It's probably one of the few things I can truly focus on for any extended period of time.
Old 07-15-08, 05:29 PM

CptRambo is on a distinguished road

I play my battle-axe way better on medication.
Old 07-15-08, 06:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Maurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of light

Captain Rambo what is batte-axe? Is a game you play in the rainforest?
I am not sure about Johnny Cash. I know he used a lot more than just speed. He was pretty wild. Hard-core. I just figured he used speed and cocaine like is common with a lot of musicians and over-the-road truckdrivers do. To keep up with their with their busy schedules of being on the road. I am sure some of them enjoy the buzz too. But i so not think that is the main reason they take speed or cocaine.
Old 07-15-08, 06:38 PM

CptRambo is on a distinguished road

The rainforest sounds fun right now..But no,Its just a joke code name for a guitar.
Old 07-16-08, 11:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

lis dexia has a spectacular aura aboutlis dexia has a spectacular aura about

Johnny Cash did sing the song "Ring of Fire" I think his wife actually wrote the song. Ironically is one of the sub-types of ADHD that Dr. Amen talks about, Ring of Fire. Coincidence?

Great artist. Johnny Cash does a version of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage you should check out if you like either band.
Old 07-16-08, 01:52 PM
Contributor

SfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of lightSfumatoPants is a glorious beacon of light

Only my pet theory, but I think that a lot of people that have addictions to stimulants suffer unknowingly from ADD and other related symptoms.
Old 07-16-08, 05:10 PM
Jr Member

Jade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lis dexia View Post
Johnny Cash did sing the song "Ring of Fire" I think his wife actually wrote the song.
Yes, June Carter wrote it. If anyone is interested in Cash´s life, I can highly recommend "Walk the line". Awesome movie. Fantastic cast, great script and a wonderful soundtrack.
Plus, it´s not fictional - it´s based upon Cash´s biographies and his son was closely involved in the shooting script and the movie, to make sure it won´t become a fairy tale.